The last 2½ years of accidents and incidents involving commercial aircraft
Guess all the good airlines can afford Airbus
- January 1 – Kolavia Flight 348, a Tupolev Tu-154, erupts in flames while taxiing in Surgut, Russia, killing 3 out of 124 passengers and crew and injuring 43.
- January 9 – Iran Air Flight 277, a Boeing 727, crashes at Urmia Airport, Iran, killing 77 of 105 on board.
- February 10 – Manx2 Flight 7100, a Fairchild Metroliner III, crashes at Cork Airport, Republic of Ireland and catches fire, killing 6 of 12 on board.
- February 14 – Central American Airways Flight 731, a Let L-410 Turbolet, crashes while on approach to Toncontín International Airport, killing all 14 on board.
- March 21 – The 2011 Pointe-Noire Trans Air Congo An-12 crash: an Antonov An-12 crashes on approach to Pointe Noire Airport, Republic of the Congo, killing all 4 crew on board and another 19 on the ground.
- April 1 – Southwest Airlines Flight 812, a Boeing 737, ruptures a hole in the fuselage at 36,000 feet, causing the cabin to lose pressure after take off from Phoenix Sky Harbor. The plane lands safely at Yuma International Airport, Arizona with 116 people aboard uninjured and two with minor injuries.
- April 4 – In the 2011 United Nations Bombardier CRJ-100 crash, a Georgian Airways plane operated by the United Nations Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO) crashes on landing at N'djili Airport, Democratic Republic of the Congo; all but one of the 33 on board are killed.
- May 7 – Merpati Nusantara Airlines Flight 8968, a Xian MA60, crashes off West Papua, Indonesia while on approach to Kaimana Airport in heavy rain, killing all 27 passengers and crew on board.
- May 18 – Sol Líneas Aéreas Flight 5428, a Saab 340, crashes off Prahuaniyeu, Río Negro, Argentina while on approach to General Enrique Mosconi International Airport, Comodoro Rivadavia in heavy rain, killing all 22 passengers and crew on board.
- June 20 – RusAir Flight 9605, a Tupolev Tu-134, crashes onto the Russian highway A133 near the village of Besovets, Petrozavodsk, Russia, while on approach to Petrozavodsk Airport, killing 47 of 52 on board.
- July 6 – The 2011 Silk Way Airlines Ilyushin Il-76 crash: An Ilyushin Il-76 crashes into a mountain 25 kilometers short of Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan, killing all 9 people on board the cargo flight from Baku, operated on behalf of NATO.[SUP][/SUP]
- July 8 – Hewa Bora Airways Flight 952, a Boeing 727, crashes on landing at Bangoka International Airport, Democratic Republic of the Congo, killing 74 of 118 on board.
- July 11 – Angara Airlines Flight 5007, an Antonov An-24, ditches in the Ob River after an engine fire, killing 7 of 37 on board; the aircraft is written off.
- July 13 – Noar Linhas Aéreas Flight 4896, a Let L-410 Turbolet, crashes just after takeoff from Recife Airport, Brazil, killing all 16 on board.
- July 28 – Asiana Airlines Flight 991, a Boeing 747-400F, crashes 112 kilometers (70 mi) west of Jeju Island, South Korea, killing the two crew.
- July 30 – Caribbean Airlines Flight 523, a Boeing 737–800, overruns the runway after landing at Cheddi Jagan International Airport, Georgetown, Guyana and breaks in two; several are injured but all 163 passengers and crew survive.
- August 8 – IrAero Flight 103, an Antonov An-24, overruns the runway after landing at Ignatyevo Airport, Blagoveshchensk; all 36 on board survive with 12 suffering injuries.
- August 9 – In the 2011 Avis Amur Antonov An-12 crash, an Antonov An-12 crashes at Omsukchan, Russia due to an engine fire, killing all 11 on board.
- August 20 – First Air Flight 6560, a Boeing 737, crashes while on approach to Resolute Bay Airport, Nunavut, Canada, killing 12 of 15 on board.
- September 6 – Aerocon Flight 238 was an airline flight which crashed near Trinidad, Bolivia. Eight of the nine people on board died.
- September 7 – Yak-Service Flight 9634, a Yakovlev Yak-42, crashes just outside of Yaroslavl, Russia due to pilot error, killing 44 of the 45 people on board. Many were players and staff of the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl ice hockey team of the KHL, as the flight was destined for Minsk, Belarus for a league game.
- September 25 – Buddha Air Flight 103, a Beechcraft 1900D, crashes while attempting to land in dense fog at Kathmandu Tribhuwan International Airport, killing all 16 passengers and 3 crew members.
- October 13 – Airlines PNG Flight 1600, a de Havilland Canada DHC-8, crashes near the mouth of the Gogol River, Papua New Guinea, killing 28 of 32 on board.
- October 18 – Iran Air Flight 742, a Boeing 727–200, from Moscow, Russia to Tehran, Iran lands without nose gear at Mehrabad International Airport. All 94 passengers and 14 crew members survive without injuries.
- November 1 – LOT Polish Airlines Flight 16, a Boeing 767, belly lands after landing gear failed to deploy at Warsaw Frédéric Chopin Airport; all 220 passengers and 11 crew members survive without injuries.
- April 2 – UTair Flight 120, an ATR-72, crashes shortly after take-off from Tyumen, Russia, killing 31 of the 43 passengers and crew on board.
- April 20 – Bhoja Air Flight 213, a Boeing 737, crashes near Chaklala airbase, Rawalpindi, Punjab, Pakistan reportedly due to bad weather, killing all of the 127 passengers and crew on board.
- May 9 – In the Mount Salak Sukhoi Superjet 100 crash, a Sukhoi Superjet 100 crashes into Mount Salak, Indonesia on an exhibition flight, killing all 45 passengers and crew on board.
- May 14 – The Agni Air Dornier 228 crash: A Dornier 228 crashes near Jomsom Airport in Nepal; of the 21 on board, 6 survive.
- June 2 – Allied Air Flight 111, a Boeing 727, overruns the runway on landing at Accra, Ghana and crashes through a fence; the aircraft then hits a bus on a nearby road; all 4 crew survive but 12 are killed on the ground.
- June 3 – Dana Air Flight 992, a McDonnell Douglas MD-83 carrying 146 passengers and 7 crew members crashes in a suburb of Lagos, Nigeria on approach to Murtala Muhammed International Airport, killing all on board and 10 more people on the ground.
- June 29 – Six people attempt to hijack Tianjin Airlines Flight 7554, an Embraer E-190, 10 minutes after takeoff; passengers and crew are able to restrain the hijackers until the aircraft makes an emergency landing; of the 101 on board, 2 hijackers die and 2 more hijackers and 11 passengers and crew are injured; this is China's first serious hijacking attempt since 1990.
- September 12 – Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky Air Flight 251, an Antonov An-28, crashes in Kamchatka Peninsula, Russia. Ten of the 14 passengers and crew on board are killed.
- September 28 – Sita Air Flight 601, a Dornier 228, crashes on the bank of the Manohara River, Kathmandu, Nepal after a bird strike, killing all 19 on board.
- October 7 – FlyMontserrat Flight 107, a Britten-Norman Islander, crashes on takeoff from V.C. Bird International Airport; of the 4 on board, only one survives.
- November 30 – The 2012 Aéro-Service Ilyushin Il-76T crash: an Ilyushin Il-76T freighter crashes on landing approach in bad weather short of runway threshold at Maya–Maya Airport, Brazzaville, Republic of Congo, killing all aboard (5 crew and a policeman), 26 on the ground, and injuring 14.
- December 25 – Air Bagan Flight 11, a Fokker 100, crashes on a road near Heho, Myanmar, killing 2 (including a motorcyclist on the ground) and injuring 11.
- December 29 – Red Wings Airlines Flight 9268, a Tupolev Tu-204 on a repositioning flight, overruns the runway while landing at Moscow's Vnukovo International Airport, then breaks apart and catches on fire; 5 of the 8 crew on board are killed in the first fatal accident involving the Tu-204.
- January 29 – SCAT Airlines Flight 760, a Bombardier CRJ200, crashes in thick fog near Almaty, Kazakhstan, killing all 16 passengers and 5 crew on board.
- February 13 – South Airlines Flight 8971, an Antonov An-24, crashes in fog at Donetsk, Ukraine, killing five of 52 people on board.
- April 13 – Lion Air Flight 904, a Boeing 737 carrying 101 passengers and 7 crew members crashes into the ocean while attempting to land on the Indonesian resort island of Bali, injuring 46 people.
- April 29 – National Airlines Flight 102, a Boeing 747 freighter carrying cargo and 7 crew members, stalls and crashes shortly after takeoff from Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan, killing all crew members.
- May 16 – Nepal Airlines Flight 555, a de Havilland Canada Twin Otter, runs off the runway while landing at Jomsom Airport, injuring seven people; the aircraft is written off.
- July 6 – Asiana Airlines Flight 214, a Boeing 777, crashes short of the runway on landing at San Francisco International Airport, killing three of 307 on board and injuring 182. The crash is the first fatal accident involving the 777, the first fatal accident in the United States since 2009, and the first fatal accident in North America involving a major airline since 2001.
- July 7 – A de Havilland DHC-3 otter operated by Rediske Air crashes at Soldotna Airport in Alaska, killing all 10 people on board.
- July 22 - Southwest Airlines Flight 345, a Boeing 737 front nose gear collapses upon landing at New York's LaGuardia Airport; there were ten injuries among the 144 passengers and six crew members.
Guess all the good airlines can afford Airbus