Boxing Forums banner

2012 Olympic Boxing. Day 2

6K views 69 replies 14 participants last post by  davez 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Arias Romero (DOM) vs Marriaga Campo (COL) - winner faces Lomachenko next

Southpaw DOM countering well off the backfoot, limited success for COL as he comes forward. 6-3 DOM
Similar round to the 1st, not the best quality fight but all the clean shots coming from DOM. 12-5 DOM
A more positive start by COL but still largely ineffective. COL landing good left hands. 17-8 DOM

#3 ·
Mejri (TUN) vs Chitou (BEN)

Good start by BEN, TUN down but ruled a slip. BEN using his superior reach in a quiet 1st round. 3-2 TUN (?)
Aggression from TUN & some good exchanges. Both guys scoring points, right hand from TUN the best shot of the round. 9-5 TUN
Toe-to-toe action, TUN down again from a shot but also no KD ruled. BEN doing well this round but TUN still scoring. 16-9 TUN

A better fight than the last but a quiet start to todays boxing.

#4 ·
Verdejo Sanchez (PUR) vs Huertas Garcia (PAN)

Good fight, the smaller PUR looking to slip the jab & work inside. PUR is impressive for a 19yo. 4-1 PUR
PUR using his speed & movement well, PAN unable to gain the upper-hand but landed a couple of straight shots from range. 8-3 PUR
PUR continues to do well in all the exchanges with good combos. Classy performance. 11-5 PUR

#5 ·
Zhailauov (KAZ) vs Ardee (THA)

KAZ looks strong & solid, THA more mobile & rangy & is landing the better shots. KAZ bleeding from the nose. Good action in final minute. 5-4 THA
THA boxing on the back foot but KAZ having some joy during his attacks. Close & competitive fight. 8-8
3rd round a bit scrappy, good bodyshots from THA who is busier, some good counters from KAZ. 12-12 KAZ wins on countback, unpopular decision

#7 ·
Allisop (SEY) vs Bhagwan (IND)

IND scoring from range, SEY is a tidy boxer but is being outworked. 7-3 IND
The experienced IND bossing the fight, SEY is plucky & keeps on throwing. 14-6 IND
IND still picking off shots & moving well, SEY running out of ideas. 18-8 IND

#9 ·
Jackson (AUS) vs Qiang (CHI)

CHI looks to have superior handspeed, the compact AUS trying to close the distance but needs to busier. 4-1 CHI
AUS being more active but isnt scoring much. CHI still landing jabs/straights & the occasional bodyshot. 10-3 CHI
CHI still controlling the fight, AUS cant force the pace. Both guys slug it out in the last minute, standing 8 count for AUS. 20-7 CHI

#10 ·
Kidunda (TAN) vs Belous (MDA)

MDA off to a good start, nice combos & puts his shots together well. More classy work from MDA in a one sided opening round. 8-2 MDA
MDA in total control, impressive performance so far. TAN just cant compete. 13-4 MDA
MDA coasting but still scoring with some good looking shots, complete dominance. 20-7 MDA

#11 ·
Byamba (MGL) vs Mitoumba Mbemy (GAB)

Patient start, the taller GAB flickering shots whilst MGL stalks forward in a crouch. MGL working well inside, loading up on left hooks. 5-1 MGL
2nd round very similar, more success for MGL in close scoring with combos. Lovely slips & feints from MGL, GAB just cant cope. 11-2 MGL
Quiet round, MGL still being effective but not a lot of action. Nice to see a shorter pressure fighter doing well in this tournament. 17-4 MGL

#12 ·
Well, yesterday I was on a mission to record all of the olympic boxing... Set my sights on taking over the tv for the duration of the olympic boxing... Yesterday was a big day for boxing in general, which saw me get the first two olympic sessions recorded then I stayed up to get the boxnation event recorded, I was then thinking great I'll get a few hours sleep and be awake in time for the next olympic session this afternoon.

It's not went to that plan at all - I've literally just woke up about 5 minutes ago. And my sky+ box has failed to record. to say I'm not happy is about right. but I have two options left. I could just record Freddie Evans fight at 4ish? or just scrap this entire session and tape the next session later tonight?

Normally, I wouldn't care about Amateur Boxing but this past year on boxnation I've been exposed to the world of amateur boxing and have recorded, the AIBA finals, World Series of Boxing, Haringey Box Cup etc... and most importantly I've really enjoyed watching them as the view was that several winners of these tournaments would then go on to appear at the olympics. So, this is like the pinnacle of the sport and I've missed this afternoons part of it. gutted I am! gutted!

#15 ·
Vastine (FRA) vs Wojcicki (GER)

Both guys up on their toes & boxing. Competitive 1st round, a few good shots from GER near the end. 6-4 FRA
FRA trying to stay on the backfoot, GER landing with some hooks but a good finish from FRA as he increases the pace. 10-8 FRA
FRA circling & bouncing in & out but GER still landing some eye catching hooks. Close fight but perhaps FRA has edged it. 16-12 FRA

#16 ·
Well, yesterday I was on a mission to record all of the olympic boxing... Set my sights on taking over the tv for the duration of the olympic boxing... Yesterday was a big day for boxing in general, which saw me get the first two olympic sessions recorded then I stayed up to get the boxnation event recorded, I was then thinking great I'll get a few hours sleep and be awake in time for the next olympic session this afternoon.

It's not went to that plan at all - I've literally just woke up about 5 minutes ago. And my sky+ box has failed to record. to say I'm not happy is about right. but I have two options left. I could just record Freddie Evans fight at 4ish? or just scrap this entire session and tape the next session later tonight?

Normally, I wouldn't care about Amateur Boxing but this past year on boxnation I've been exposed to the world of amateur boxing and have recorded, the AIBA finals, World Series of Boxing, Haringey Box Cup etc... and most importantly I've really enjoyed watching them as the view was that several winners of these tournaments would then go on to appear at the olympics. So, this is like the pinnacle of the sport and I've missed this afternoons part of it. gutted I am! gutted!
Any boxing you miss might be on the iplayer?

#17 ·
Clayton (CAN) vs Molina (MEX)

Sharp left hook from MEX in a low tempo & timid opener. 1-1
Neither guy is being very dynamic in another slow round that gets a bit more exciting towards the end. 6-3 CAN
3rd round is much better, good bodywork from CAN as the MEX comes forward. 12-8 CAN

#18 ·
@davez i wouldn't be too guttered, this afternoons boxing has been rather dull, a couple of decent fights but mainly one sided affairs with one boxer generally either being too talented or too experienced. I'm hoping it picks up from here when the crowd gets hyper for Evans coming on.
Cheers Chatty, I am one of these people that is generally gutted when something I was striving to do doesn't quite go to plan (in this case it was to record ALL of the olympic fights). Looking at the results cards on the olympics website your views are spot on as it does look one sided in a lot of the bouts.

I suppose the most important thing from a british point of view is to get all of our fighters journeys from the starting rounds right through the competition. I'm on course for that now having set the dvd to record so feel slightly better as I've not missed a british fighters fight so far.

#21 ·
Abdoulaye Hima (NIG) vs Hammond (AUS)

AUS looks more technical but is struggling with the rangy & awkward NIG. 2-2
NIG is unorthodox & unpredictable, long arms but does well on the inside. Some stiff counters & an 8 count for NIG. 7-4 AUS
AUS growing in confidence & starting to time NIG's attacks. Classy counter combination from AUS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.