Votes: 0 0.0%
  • George Kambosos Jr

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd do this category this year so let me run down the year each shortlisted fighter has had. I've put 5 names on, hopefully everyone agrees it's between these 5 but if not, share in the comments who I've left out and shouldn't have. With the exception of 3&5 (for obvious reasons) I've left out anyone else who only fought once this year.

1) Saul Alvarez: This year he stopped two undefeated fighters and took a belt from each on his way to claiming the undisputed Super-Middleweight crown. He fought 3 times in total, Avni Yildrim was his first of the trio.

2) Terence Crawford: After stopping Kell Brook in Vegas, he then extended his unblemished record by becoming the first man to stop Showtime Shawn Porter, a man who'd previously gone the distance with Thurman, Spence Jr & Garcia.

3) Josh Taylor: Building on his WBSS victory in 2019, the Scot went abroad to unify his Super-Lightweight titles with unbeaten Jose Ramirez. Scoring a couple of knockdowns along the way, Taylor won a unanimous decision to claim supremacy at 140.

4) Oscar Valdez Jr: The unbeaten Mexican moved up in weight to challenge the dangerous WBC world Super-Featherweight champion. Miguel Berchelt, the bookies' favourite going in, got absolutely destroyed. Valdez Jr then made a successful first defence of the crown beating Robson Conceicao in a disputed 12 round UD win.

5) George Kambosos Jr: Having fought the most recently of those on this list I'm sure I don't need to remind anybody but I will anyway. The undefeated Aussie travelled to New York, USA a massive underdog in order to challenge the unbeaten Teofimo Lopez Jr, the man who dethroned Lomachenko to capture the undisputed Lightweight titles last time out. After dropping the champion in the first round, he went on to outpoint him on 2/3 cards erasing his coveted 0 and laying claim to the undisputed world Lightweight title.

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
My vote goes to a fighter who only fought once in 2021. - Because the feat he accomplished, and the way in which he did it, was simply staggering.

He also, arguably, did more to get the casuals interested in the sport of boxing than any other fighter in years.

"THERE IS ONLY ONE ..... ! "

·
delivering the truth
623 Posts
My vote goes to a fighter who only fought once in 2021. - Because the feat he accomplished, and the way in which he did it, was simply staggering.

He also, arguably, did more to get the casuals interested in the sport of boxing than any other fighter in years.

"THERE IS ONELY ONE ! "
Ring magazine awarded him Fight of the Year

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,484 Posts
Canelo to unify SMW inside a year is epic work.
I'd put Taylor second for becoming Undisputed at SLW away with no fans.
Kambosos third for showing Lopez that being an arrogant little shit is the way to build a legacy.

Jake Paul.
While I'm sure it was a joke, his business acumen in selling PPV's to non boxing crowds has to get some credit not in fighter of the year but in some other category. And he aint bad for a 5 fight novice.

·
Registered
12,390 Posts
Canelo for sure. He's taken on all challenger and took on 3 Super Middleweights in title fights, stopping all 3. Pretty damn impressive.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why is Usyk not in the list?
Because there's only room for 5 (in a nutshell). I've had another look and I still can't see who he could replace except maybe Valdez Jr but Valdez Jr won his title by KO and has also since made a successful first defence but a shortlist of 10 and Usyk is in

·
The Anti-Bully
13,191 Posts
I’m going with Josh Taylor because he’s Scottish, unified a division and didn’t get nearly enough credit for it.

Biased?

Yes!

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Because there's only room for 5 (in a nutshell). I've had another look and I still can't see who he could replace except maybe Valdez Jr but Valdez Jr won his title by KO and has also since made a successful first defence but a shortlist of 10 and Usyk is in
Didnt everyone have Valdez losing in his last fight? He definitely shouldnt be on the list

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I didn't realise I could edit the poll after it was created but I can and so by popular demand I've done so, it wasn't possible to remove an option so I just made it six instead of five.

6) Oleksandr Usyk: After cleaning out the Cruiserweight division and claiming the WBSS trophy a couple of years ago, the Ukranian moved up to Heavyweight and this year he challenged Anthony Joshua for the WBO, WBA and IBF World Titles. He came to the champion's back yard and after 12 rounds of outclassing him in front of his own fans, not a judge sat ringside could have had it any other way, a UD win for Usyk puts him one step closer to matching an achievement that currently only Evander Holyfield can claim in men's boxing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts