• Juan Francisco Estrada

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (say who in main thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's back, again, 5 names we hopefully agree on for the shortlist but let us know if your vote is for someone else.

Criteria is that the fighter has fought more than once in 2022 and hasn't lost

Last year Saul Alvarez won it with 55.6% of the votes, this year I'll begin with the man who dethroned him

1) Dmitry Bivol: Made two successful defences of his World Light-Heavyweight title, the first against the Mexican, the second against a Mexican, 115-113 on all cards was the verdict against Canelo, much wider when he later schooled the previously unbeaten Gilberto Ramirez. I suppose the question when voting is how much credit do you give Bivol for beating a smaller man? Did GGG get credit for Brook? Or Spence Jr for Garcia?

2) Devin Haney: Became the youngest undisputed world champion with a unanimous points victory over George Kambosos Jr in Melbourne. He then returned to Australia at the end of the year to honour his contractual agreement to rematch Kambosos Jr and the result was the same. Now he's left Australia and probably won't be going back

3) John Ryder: You might think this is the result of slim pickings this year but actually the Gorilla has been on fine form this year, out twice, underdog both times and overcame both times. Firstly with a decision win over former World Middleweight champion Daniel Jacobs in London later following that up with a 5th round TKO victory over the unbeaten WBO#1 ranked Super-Middleweight contender, Zach Parker. Now it is said he can look forward to meeting the undisputed 168lb champion in the new year.

4) Naoya Inoue: Universally recognised as being P4P top 3 today, the Bantamweight champion was on the road to undisputed this year, first he snatched the WBC title by brutally knocking out Nonito Donaire in Japan, a guy who gave him hell in the WBSS final. He then dominated and stopped Britain's Paul Butler to capture the WBO title, the last remaining piece of the championship.

5) Juan Estrada: A majority decision win earlier this month over Chocolatito made him the winner of the epic trilogy and once again the WBC Super-Flyweight champion of the world. I'm not actually sure how he lost the title in the first place I must have missed that bit of news (perhaps his inactivity) but before settling things with Gonzalez he did fight in Mexico in September and won a UD over Cortes.

· Registered
4,650 Posts
Picked Bivol just to be different. Him beating Canelo did not surprise me. But him beating Ramirez as easily as he did. Was a surprise.

Overall I suppose Inoue will be a worthy winner. Good that a fighter from JAPAN will be fighter of the year.
If that has ever happened historically.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts