Boxing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The undefeated heavyweight prospect Jared Anderson puts the division on notice following his 2nd round KO victory over
Oleksandr Teslenko a week ago

He's now 11-0 with 11 KO wins, it's early days but how do you think he'll do when it's all said and done and who would you like to see him in with next?

I'd like to see him in with Kingpin or Sokolowski next.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't see what's the fuss is about. He seems robotic, and very hittable. I think that the first decent counter-puncher will lay him out. For example, Frank Sanchez. I saw his last fight, and he seems like a great guy to give Anderson a reality check.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see what's the fuss is about. He seems robotic, and very hittable. I think that the first decent counter-puncher will lay him out. For example, Frank Sanchez. I saw his last fight, and he seems like a great guy to give Anderson a reality check.
Yes that is true, I wouldn't stick him in there with Sanchez just now lol but at 22 years of age and only 11 fights in there's plenty of room for development I mean, don't you think he can and will improve?

The fuss is Wilder's on his way out and the US have no one else to look to in the division, I hope he can remain level headed that's my main worry

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes that is true, I wouldn't stick him in there with Sanchez just now lol but at 22 years of age and only 11 fights in there's plenty of room for development I mean, don't you think he can and will improve?

The fuss is Wilder's on his way out and the US have no one else to look to in the division, I hope he can remain level headed that's my main worry
He is 11 fights in, and he is moving to be contender in a year or two(at least what people around him are saying). I think it is WAAAAAAY to soon for him. He needs a steady diet of Teslnko like opponents, and in 2023 he can move to Breazels and Jennings of the division if he shows good progress. From there he will be well position to challenge for a title in 2026-2027 if he beats someone like Ortiz or Chisora.
He has potential but people talking about him like he is some kind of Lomachenko with 300+ am fighter who is a complete package now, not in a future.

·
buff it good
5,123 Posts
He is 11 fights in, and he is moving to be contender in a year or two(at least what people around him are saying). I think it is WAAAAAAY to soon for him. He needs a steady diet of Teslnko like opponents, and in 2023 he can move to Breazels and Jennings of the division if he shows good progress. From there he will be well position to challenge for a title in 2026-2027 if he beats someone like Ortiz or Chisora.
He has potential but people talking about him like he is some kind of Lomachenko with 300+ am fighter who is a complete package now, not in a future.
If Anderson beats Usyk and Fury do you think that makes him top 10 all time?

·
Registered
13,226 Posts

Respectfully, you must be watching a different boxer than I am, because IMO one of Anderson's best attributes is his excellent defensive movement. (Watch his fight vs Ibeh. OMG.) He also uses excellent feints, with very fluid upper body movement. Not robotic at all.
He could possibly improve his ability to head-slip when inside, especially since he only has a 78" reach, but give the lad some time. At least he doesn't hang his head forward, or drop his guard, like so many HW's do.

Another thing I like about Anderson is that he's faced some very respectible opponents in his early career. Not the typical collection of no-hopers and profesional divers that most well-managed prospects get to run over.
And FWIW, there are credible reports that he several times beat the snot out of Tyson Fury in sparring. Even Tyson has implied this, and speaks incredibly highly of him.

I consider him to be one of the 2-3 HW prospects most likely to make it to the top.

But I would LOVE to see him fight a powerful, come-forward counterpuncher like Sanchez. That would be a great test and a great learning experience for him, win or lose. Sanchez has really improved lately. He used to be pretty sloppy, and would have been an easy target for Anderson, but he's gotten MUCH better in his last few fights. His performance against Ajagba was just lovely. Controlled, accurate, etc.
- The only downside for this matchup would be that they're both 2 of my favorite HW right now, so i'd hate to see either one lose. lol....

-------------

I'll tell you the fight I'd LOVE to see, even though it would be incredibly dangerous: Anderson vs Hrgovic. I want to see Anderson humiliate that dirty SOB, if he can do it. And IF he can do it, what a statement that would make. - But as much as I hate the guy, I think Hrgovic would take Anderson out, due to his large reach advantage. Still, what a fight. Anderson would have no choice but to fight close, so we'd get to see if those skills are improving.

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
His ams experience and record are not Earth-shaking, (which surprised me) but still very good. However -
He was 2X USA National Champ, but purposely chose to turn pro instead of going to the 2020 Olympics. (A wise move, IMO, since his style didn't suit the ams.)

-------------

I dunno anything about Anderson's trainer, Darrie Riley, but the guy must be really good, because Anderson is looking awfully good already. Oddly, Riley appears to be a former SMW, who retired with a pathetic record of 5 wins and 9 losses! Go figure....

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
His movement is fluid and fast for a heavyweight but I think his aggressiveness will be his downfall (same as Jaron Ennis) these guys are so offensive they leave themself open for counters

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
His movement is fluid and fast for a heavyweight but I think his aggressiveness will be his downfall (same as Jaron Ennis) these guys are so offensive they leave themself open for counters

I think that's a fair assessment, though he only does so when he goes in for the kill. It's a pretty common fault of young fighters.
Definitely something to work on. The head slips I mentioned earlier would be an important part of that.

At this point in his career, adding a big-name trainer to his team would probably be a very good move. Darrie Riley has definitely done a great job, but I suspect that his experience is very limited (esp given his pro record and that fact that he's never trained any other pro) so he might have nothing left to give.
Anderson deserves the best team available.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Never heard of this guy. Seems like an American version of Herbie Hide..

Will get iced once he steps up in class.

·
Super Moderator
3,109 Posts

No love for Michael Hunter in the US?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No love for Michael Hunter in the US?
Not after he ducked Hrgovic in a world title eliminator, I hear he was lucky to get a draw last time out too against Jerry Forrest (can't find the footage to watch myself though), add to that a draw with a past it Povetkin and it's clear why confidence is low, all hopes are on the real big baby at this point I would say

1 - 12 of 12 Posts