Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Is AJ searching for a new coach..?

If so then atleast he is now searching in the big leauges. So far he has visited Eddy Reynoso, Virgil Hunter. And now Ronnie Shields.

Hopefully Still visits a few more to see who else he clicks with. Buddy Mcgirt, John David Jackson, Pedro Diaz, Joe Goosen, Teddy Atlas, Freddie Roach.

Reactions: SimonTemplar

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,419 Posts
I can't imagine this would be to leave McCracken, maybe to add the team or as a consultant on certain aspects but AJ is a loyal guy, he wouldn't do that as it would be spun as blaming McCracken for the Usyk loss.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't imagine this would be to leave McCracken, maybe to add the team or as a consultant on certain aspects but AJ is a loyal guy, he wouldn't do that as it would be spun as blaming McCracken for the Usyk loss.
Those guys are not going to leave their gyms and other fighters to do camps in the U.K.

And Rob Mccraken is not going to be leaving his post as Team GB coach to spend months in America.

Who cares how its spun sometime a fighter needs a change. And Mccraken has taken him as far as he can.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You don't get to be the best by settling for second best. McCracken deserves his dues but if AJ aspires to be top dog again he needs to make hard decisions.

·
just loving boxing
120 Posts
Credit to AJ because he is really doing the circuit in search of a new trainer.

Among others he has met with Ronnie Shields trainer of Jermall Charlo and who also worked with Tyson, Holyfield and Gatti.

Shields has confirmed AJ reached out to him and asked if he could come to Texas and see if things could work out between the pair. Shields also revealed AJ said he intends to keep Angel Fernandez on his team.

Interesting AJ said Fernandez is staying onboard but no such mention of McCracken.

Read into it what you will but my take is McCracken will make way or if retained, play a much lesser role.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You don't get to be the best by settling for second best. McCracken deserves his dues but if AJ aspires to be top dog again he needs to make hard decisions.
True! As Nigel Benn would say its a Dog eat Dog world. Coaches have long careers fighters have only have short careers and have to make a decision thats best for them.

In this sport you have to be ruthless and willing to step outside your comfort zone.

Lennox Lewis started out with John Davenport knew him since he was a teenager was close to him and then replaced him even though he was still unbeaten. When he did that. He brought in Pepe Correa did not gel that well and replaced him after his loss to Oliver Mccall with Manny Steward.

Plus loyalty works both ways sometimes a coach knows the fighter has stagnated with him. Yet hangs on to his post for the paycheck.

The smarter ones know the gig is gonna be up and ask the fighter to bring in a fresh voice in the corner. So they can stay on as part of the team.

If Frank Warren was AJ's promoter he would have been telling to bring in someone else after the loss to Ruiz.

·
1,419 Posts
I'll be shocked if it happens, tbh I'm not convinced it would make a difference. Everyone has pointed out what AJ did wrong in the first fight and what he needs to do in the rematch. But as he is the last chance saloon he might decide it's worth a punt. Just hope if it happens he at least makes a clear statement of thanks and absolves McCracken of responsibility for the loss. Otherwise it makes him look like the same mercenary scum alot of other fighters are.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be shocked if it happens, tbh I'm not convinced it would make a difference. Everyone has pointed out what AJ did wrong in the first fight and what he needs to do in the rematch. But as he is the last chance saloon he might decide it's worth a punt. Just hope if it happens he at least makes a clear statement of thanks and absolves McCracken of responsibility for the loss. Otherwise it makes him look like the same mercenary scum alot of other fighters are.
So he should'nt change trainers because it would be bad for his public image.? Even though the trainer has nothing new left to teach.

And people who change trainers are mercenary scum ? No matter how incompetent their trainers, and despite the fact the fighters are the ones paying the wages and just like any other profession have the right to hire the best available talent. If the present employees are no longer upto the task.

Reactions: SimonTemplar

·
1,419 Posts
So he should'nt change trainers because it would be bad for his public image.? Even though the trainer has nothing new left to teach.

And people who change trainers are mercenary scum ? No matter how incompetent their trainers, and despite the fact the fighters are the ones paying the wages and just like any other profession have the right to hire the best available talent. If the present employees are no longer upto the task.
Well he needs to do it the right way if he believes it's the right thing to do. Given he has been with McCracken almost his entire career both Pro and Am it wouldn't sit well for him to move on without making a very clear statement of thanks etc

I say Mercenaries as a big number of fighters fire trainers not because the trainer is bad but because they lost. Sometimes it happens after just one fight or two, they clearly haven't learnt everything from that person they just want a scapegoat. That is just cowardly behaviour.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
News all over Russian/Ukrainian boxing sites and even has quotes from Ronny, saying that they already watched Usyk fight together and had few hours of pad work.
He also said that only person from previous team that stays is Angel Fernandes.
Ronnie Shields gave an interview with Tha Boxing Voice. He said it was just an audition. And AJ has not decided yet. AJ also told him if he does join a new team he will be keeping Angel Fernandes.

So nothing has been decided yet.

Reactions: Ar558a

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

You can hear the interview Ronnie gave yourselves.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts