Boxing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
If AJ came to your gym, at this point in his career, with whatever physical potentials & limitations he has right now -
What exactly would you try and teach him? What existing skills would you try to imporve?

Fukifiknow, but that dictates who the best trainer would be.

Not Reynoso, IMO. AJ does not have the physical gifts to learn that kind of defensive movement.
& Garcia's resume is far too limited.
---------------------------------

I also think it's unlikely that AJ will leave McKracken, but likely add a second trainer to his team. So which trainer has the skilsl, but a small enough stable, to fly back & forth to the UK once a week?

I'm thinking maybe James Ali Bashir. He has plenty of experience with HW. I like how Sirenko looks, plus he did excellent work with a physically-limited Eddie Chambers. Same with Witherspoon. He also helped Manny with Lennox Lewis. - But most importantly, supposedly he was the main guy for the Klitschkos in their latter careers. AJ might do well to adopt Wlad's "punch & grab / use your height advantage" style.
(OMG I can't believe I'm suggesting that. )

Plus, Bashir has that Kronk pedigree, which might come in handy if AJ ever actually fights Fury.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
It's never too late to improve.

Look at what Manny Steward was able to achieve with Wlad, even at his age and experience and where did Manny start? At the ground. The very foundation. Footwork.

Look at what a short period under Sugar Hill did for Tyson Fury. He became a different fighter between his first meeting with Wilder and his second under Sugar.
True enough. And as far as Wlad, that's exactly why I mentioned Bashir. (Who worked with Manny, then took over.)
AJ could likely handle some footwork improvements, and that "safety first" style. (puke....) I imagine he could also (vastly) improve his inside game.
He could also hopefully learn some new combinations, and how to protect his head better after throwing his right hand.

But AJ just does not have the flexibility & movement to learn The feights and other movement that Fury was basically born with, let alone "Cuban style" defense.
------------------

Thinking more about Bashir -
Sirenko has never fought outside of Europe. Even the Ustinov fight was in Paris. So Bashir may already be living in Europe right now.
Seems like a VERY good fit to me.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
"If some kind of plan comes up that is a great financial package and more importantly gives him more time to gel with a new trainer and then go into a massive fight for huge money later in the year and I think that's right for his career...." - Eddie Hearn.

Hearn virtually confirming AJ will soon have a new trainer and at the same time making it quite clear they are open to standing aside for Fury-Usyk.

Interesting.

In some ways, it makes a lot of sense for AJ to do this.

# Money for nothing. (and chicks for free.)
# More time to learn new skills, if he can.
# the possibility that Fury will beat Usyk and then retire.
# And the likelihood of a bigger payday when he does face Usyk, since fans will be excited that AJ might have become a better fighter.

But what if Usyk wants to fight AJ first? That is surely the case. Would he have no CHOICE but to fight Fury, if the boxing gods set that fight up?

------------------------------

Meanwhile, let's see Dillian Whyte have to face Wilder, for a shot at the Fury-Usyk winner. That would be some nice karma.
Alen Babic could be the referee. 😎

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
AJ now seen training with Anthony Wilson. The more opinions he gets the more confused he is going to get. If he doesn't appoint someone soon and get start with a solid game plan to beat Usyk he will lose badly again, perhaps even worse than the first time.
Tony Wilson?

Waaah?

I guess AJ is planning to boxercise his way to a victory over Usyk. lol.....

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
^ LOL

Wilson's own pro career is also less than impressive. I dunno how he managed to become the BBBofC British LHW champ, but he did it by beating a guy with an 11-1 record. He then lost his very next fight, to a guy named Tom Collins who at the time actually had a a record of 23 - 15 !

That's right: Tony Wilson was a British Champ for an entire 2 months, then lost the title to a guy with a 23-15 record, and then proceeded to lose 6 of his next 11 fights, before retiring with a career record of 20 - 8.

BoxRec: Tony Wilson

He then worked some menial job for a few years, before reading about "the new Boxercise craze" and figured he could make a buck as an instructor. So he filled out some forms, paid his fee and got his "boxercise instructor" certificate.

That's basically his resume.

Wilson is barely even an amateur trainer. He's mainly a boxercise instructor, and also has some small experience working with kickboxers. (or so he claims)

I dunno who those "20 world champions" are, nor what sport they competed in (Are there boxercise champonships?) But neither his official bio nor his new "Boxing Academy" website mention anything about this:
About Us | Tony Wilson Boxing Academy
Tony Wilson Boxing Academy - Total Body Fitness

- So draw your own conclusions.

Maybe Usyk should train with Billy Banks . 🙁
---------------

Now, Tony Wilson might be a great guy. He might even know something about boxing. (Losing sometimes teaches you more than winning)
- but THIS is the guy picked to help AJ win his world championship HW title back? It staggers the mind.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
As for for British Light Heavyweight Tony Wilson. He has kept a low profile for last 3 decades and is still traumatised by the fact his mother jumped into the ring to beat up his opponent with her shoe. Making Tony Wilson an object of ridicule everytime that video pops up.

OMG - He's THAT guy ?

This just gets funnier and funnier.
--------------------------------------------

Maybe Tony Wilson's mom should train AJ. She looks pretty tough.
She could even claim to be a world-famous British trainer. -And I'll believe her, as long as she says so on Instagram !

In fact, she could start a boxing gym, and partner with the Provodnimom and Carl Froch's wife.
Usyk wouldn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
I'm quite surprised myself.

I expected AJ to add someone to the team, but not actually replace McCraken.
I bet McCracken decided to leave on his own. Onward & upward, before he gets tainted by more AJ losses.

Evidently Fernandez (who?) was McCracken's assistant for the last few years. This will not be a fresh approach from a well established top trainer. Just more of the same from a guy with almost no experience.

I don't see this ending well.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
Robert Garcia's onboard now? Last I read, Fernadez was taking the reigns by himself.

Well that's pretty interesting. Possibly a great choice. I was massivley impressed with how Garcia turned Maidana around, and that's the exact approach AJ needs.

- But does AJ have the stamina to fight like that? I doubt it.
Garcia only trained one HW, which was Perez, and that didn't turn out too well.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
Then he ends up becoming a Yes Man. Seems like he turned up for the pay check and publicity.
I don't think that's fair at all.

Although I don't think Garcia was the best choice, he wisely decided to get AJ to go to the body much more. Even though that's dangerous against a shorter opponent, it did seem to work, to some degree.

Aj also appeared to be in the best aerobic shape of his life in the second Usyk fight. Surely that's due to whatever changed in his camp.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
I strongly disagree, AJ before Ruiz had the Killer instinct and the ability to execute it. I'm not saying he would have 100% beaten everyone but I would have made him strong favourite too.

Killer instinct? AJ?

He won most of his fights on a single punch, against opponents who literally didn't even try hard to hit him.

He didn't even deserve his Olympic gold medal.

just stop it.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
Tunde Ajayi hopefully. He sure could have done with "Empty the tank, stop him this round Ant" at some point in his most recent loss, you get a second bite of the cherry and are still not prepared to risk getting knocked out in order to score one yourself, it's baffling.
Tunde Ajayi? The man who doesn't believe in sparring? The man who basically destroyed Anthony Yarde?

I dunno ......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts