Boxing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I can't imagine this would be to leave McCracken, maybe to add the team or as a consultant on certain aspects but AJ is a loyal guy, he wouldn't do that as it would be spun as blaming McCracken for the Usyk loss.
You don't get to be the best by settling for second best. McCracken deserves his dues but if AJ aspires to be top dog again he needs to make hard decisions.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I'll be shocked if it happens, tbh I'm not convinced it would make a difference. Everyone has pointed out what AJ did wrong in the first fight and what he needs to do in the rematch. But as he is the last chance saloon he might decide it's worth a punt. Just hope if it happens he at least makes a clear statement of thanks and absolves McCracken of responsibility for the loss. Otherwise it makes him look like the same mercenary scum alot of other fighters are.
Boxing isn't a popularity contest. It's tough business and you don't get to the top by settling for having second best around you. There is little room for the sort of sentiment you seem to be hung up on. McCracken deserves his dues but if AJ aspires to be top dog again he needs to make some hard decisions, now and that appears to be what he is in the process of doing.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Anthony Joshua wanted 'new teaching' from coaches in America but has not split from trainer Rob McCracken | Boxing News | Sky Sports

Asked if McCracken could remain his trainer, Joshua told IFLTV: "Yeah, and he has to speak to the people I may want to work with and see if he can work with them.

"I had the same conversation with Rob, 'I want to work with you, but I also want to work with this guy for six months'.

"Rob might tell me, 'You know what champ, this ain't working for me.'

The first real hints AJ and McCracken will split?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Immediate rematches are almost always stupid. This is stupid. Just let the division move on and go get those belts after it has played out.
In a sporting context they are often a waste of time but unfortunately from a business perspective they are virtually a given.

What makes me most angry is where the champion, through his management, not only dictate one sided terms for the first fight they contractually obligate the opponent to one sided terms for the rematch as well. That is just wrong, on so many levels, but it goes on.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
If AJ takes step aside, he is going against everything he claims he is in it for LEgacy, fighting the best etc. If he really thinks its a good idea, take the money and go run a chain of Gyms or something because he aint a real fighter any more at that point.
So AJ "isn't a real fighter any more if he steps aside."

If/when he does step aside that is going to come back and bite you.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
'Rob's in Sheffield and that's his base. I feel it might be time to move on from that environment....." - Eddie Hearn

The way is clearly being paved for a Joshua-McCracken separation. Just a matter of who the new trainer is now.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Lol. You aren't living in reality! Just ignored the actual evidence of what AJ actually said as I pointed out.
The reality of how this played out doesn't suit you and that is completely understandable because you come out of it looking like an idiot after your earlier claims.

Being a fanboy and shooting your mouth off has its downsides.

If you can't handle the accountability that goes with shooting your mouth off, don't shoot your mouth off.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
This just shows how your AJ hate colours what has happened. While AJ has changed trainer he clearly hasn't "fired" McCracken or they wouldn't be on good terms. And as to blaming him, he wasn't blaming anyone, he was explaining how he saw the fight at the time. It's your own prejudice against him that sees these things in the most negative light.
McCracken used to work for AJ. He was his head trainer for many years.

Following the Usyk loss AJ let him go. Fired him. Sacked him. That's what happened. There's no sugar coating it.

Now he is very publicly blaming his corner for the loss and who was in charge in his corner? McCracken was. The guy AJ fired.

Denial doesn't change what has taken place.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
David Haye says AJ can’t get the rematch with Oleksandr Usyk as badly wrong as he got it the first time.

David Haye makes tactics warning to Anthony Joshua ahead of Oleksandr Usyk rematch - Daily Star

Joshua has recently ditched long-time trainer McCracken and has brought in American coach Garcia to work alongside Angel Fernandez and Joby Clayton in his corner.

“Change is good, different methods, face and voice, whoever was saying what, who came up with the plan is irrelevant, he has to win this fight to get back on top of the world” - said Haye and went on to say :

“I think his performance can’t get worse than first time, in terms of tactics and game plan, that was the worst, I am sure Garcia won’t do that again."

1 - 20 of 36 Posts