Boxing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'll be shocked if it happens, tbh I'm not convinced it would make a difference. Everyone has pointed out what AJ did wrong in the first fight and what he needs to do in the rematch. But as he is the last chance saloon he might decide it's worth a punt. Just hope if it happens he at least makes a clear statement of thanks and absolves McCracken of responsibility for the loss. Otherwise it makes him look like the same mercenary scum alot of other fighters are.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
So he should'nt change trainers because it would be bad for his public image.? Even though the trainer has nothing new left to teach.

And people who change trainers are mercenary scum ? No matter how incompetent their trainers, and despite the fact the fighters are the ones paying the wages and just like any other profession have the right to hire the best available talent. If the present employees are no longer upto the task.
Well he needs to do it the right way if he believes it's the right thing to do. Given he has been with McCracken almost his entire career both Pro and Am it wouldn't sit well for him to move on without making a very clear statement of thanks etc

I say Mercenaries as a big number of fighters fire trainers not because the trainer is bad but because they lost. Sometimes it happens after just one fight or two, they clearly haven't learnt everything from that person they just want a scapegoat. That is just cowardly behaviour.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Hunter has had loads of guys come and go after his success with Ward. Andre Berto, Amir Khan, Alfredo Angulo, Andrezej Fonfara, Peter Quillin, Andre Dirrell, Abner Mares. Has not had any great successes with anyone.

Abel Sanchez been around since the 1980's his biggest success prior to GGG was Terry Norris.

Robert Gracia biggest success out of his gym. Is his brother Mikey Gracia and he is mainly trained by their father Garcia snr. Garcia for all intents and purposes has a very relaxed atmosphere in his gym. Fighters needs to be highly self-motivated, his not one to lay the law down and tell them to do anything they dont want to do.

Ronnie Shields served a long apprenticeship under the tutelage of legendary coaches Lou Duva and George Benton has worked with some of the biggest names in the sport in the last 30 years. Rocky Lockridge, Pernell Whitaker, Meldrick Taylor, Evander Holyfield, Tyson, Vernon Forrest, Juan Diaz, David Tua too many to name. In recent years its Jermall Charlo, Guillermo Rigondeaux and Erislandy Lara.

Only other active and current trainers, with this level of equivalent championship experience with the biggest names in the sport are. Freddie Roach and Joe Goosen.
Sounds like if he is gonna leave McCracken, Shields is the best pick in terms of having the experience of actually training for fights with amount of pressure that will be on Usyk v AJ II.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I wonder if there is a time limit on the rematch? I'm guessing there will be a cutoff date sometime next summer so yeh given the changes in approach required you would expect they need to be working 24/7 to get prepared. I wonder if there is some stuff he feels he can work on with the current setup before whoever comes in can start to contribute?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Immediate rematches are almost always stupid. This is stupid. Just let the division move on and go get those belts after it has played out.
Given the politics in the sport (as we have seen most obviously with Whyte), he had to take it or they would likely never get a title shot again. Especially if Usyk fought Fury and lost, Fury would never give AJ the chance, he wont even fight Whyte.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
In a sporting context they are often a waste of time but unfortunately from a business perspective they are virtually a given.

What makes me most angry is where the champion, through his management, not only dictate one sided terms for the first fight they contractually obligate the opponent to one sided terms for the rematch as well. That is just wrong, on so many levels, but it goes on.
Standard Business practise, at the time of the contract the champion has all the power so he basically gets two paydays. If the Challenger is good enough he wins both fights and then he will be minted and the former champ will have very little opportunity to make future money. AJ will be a busted flush after the rematch if he loses, the payday is basically a pension. Not like Usyk aint making a lot too he made $6-8m from the first fight and significantly more from the rematch. Given he is the overwhelming favourite he will have earned around $20m for the 2 AJ fights and a Unification with Fury will top $50m. $70m for three fights aint bad.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Wilder won't fight Whyte he had the WBC avoid that fight for like 2½ years. I presume the WBC will continue to deny Whyte forever so he should try and switch and see if any other Body will give him a title shot. If AJ takes step aside, he is going against everything he claims he is in it for LEgacy, fighting the best etc. If he really thinks its a good idea, take the money and go run a chain of Gyms or something because he aint a real fighter any more at that point.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
This just shows how your AJ hate colours what has happened. While AJ has changed trainer he clearly hasn't "fired" McCracken or they wouldn't be on good terms. And as to blaming him, he wasn't blaming anyone, he was explaining how he saw the fight at the time. It's your own prejudice against him that sees these things in the most negative light.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Not sure if it has been raised already, but has Robert Garcia had any success with a heavyweight? Not that I can recall.

In any case, he will encourage AJ to be more aggressive and that is imperative, because if AJ makes the mistake of trying to outbox Usyk again he will only be playing into Usyk's hands again.
If AJ does anything other than go for an early KO with big power, he is throwing away his one tiny chance of a future. The problem with all sportsmen is their Ego's, as while AJ isn't a brash git like some others I can mention, he still has an ego and I worry he wont accept that he can't outbox Usyk as he will consider that conceding that Usyk is a better boxer.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Chisora had some success early charging Usyk like a wild bull but Usyk was too mobile and well schooled for it to have any lasting success.
If you think Chisora and AJ are vaguely comparable then I can see why you might think that but obviously anyone sane can see there are a lot of levels between a durable domestic fighter and a 2 time World Champ.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I put a discussion point up and you just play the moron card again. Why do you even bother coming here?
You put an insult slagging off AJ hiding as "discussion point", comparing what a much more limited fighter in every way did as though that is an indication of what would happen in this fight is either complete ignorance or a not so subtle swipe at AJ. Which was it?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Given how well AJ did compared to the first fight you have to say Garcia's involvement was a positive overall, I don't think AJ's lack of ability to full commit to an attack has anything to do with Garcia or any trainer, it is psychological and probably unsolvable. Given AJ will be fighting in the bargain bin of the division from now on if he can motivate himself to fight at the same level as Saturday he should be the favourite to beat the second and third tier guys he will face in the trudge towards retirement.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts