Boxing Forums banner
181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·

Angel Fernandez speaks I am completely baffled as to how this guy ended up as AJ’s trainer. Even more mysterious is how he was given equal billing with Garcia as a co-trainer.

Reactions: Okoye

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Fernandez had 10 amateur fights and never went pro.
Angelo Dundee had zero fights. But served a very long apprenticeship at Still-Mans gym learning his trade under the legendary trainers of his time from Ray Arcel, Chikie Ferreira, Charlie Goldman, Freddie Brown. Point is to be a top trainer it is not necessary to have had a great career as a boxer. But is essential to learn the ropes as a trainer. Dundee started out by carrying the spit bucket.

But this guy has come from now where I can’t blame the guy for his hustle he has hit the lottery.

But really it was down to AJ and his team to find people who are qualified to train him at the elite level.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Angelo Dundee had zero fights. But served a very long apprenticeship at Still-Mans gym learning his trade under the legendary trainers of his time from Ray Arcel, Chikie Ferreira, Charlie Goldman, Freddie Brown. Point is to be a top trainer it is not necessary to have had a great career as a boxer. But is essential to learn the ropes as a trainer. Dundee started out by carrying the spit bucket.

But this guy has come from now where I can’t blame the guy for his hustle he has hit the lottery.

But really it was down to AJ and his team to find people who are qualified to train him at the elite level.
Was simply stating his ring experience.

His credentials are at best evasive.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Was simply stating his ring experience.

His credentials are at best evasive.
Well he is just a guy who managed to fluke his way into becoming a trainer. Started of as a personal trainer. Box Aerobics.

Learnt Cuban style coaching techniques by watching videos of Jorge Rubio. Contacted Rubio spent 2 weeks with him spent more time watching videos. British Cruiserweight Isaac Chamberlain walked into his gym was impressed by the Cuban style hired him for one fight. Fernandez kept posting training clips on social media. Somebody from team AJ saw those clips was impressed and hired him.

You could not make this up. He is like the Rocky Balboa of trainers. Picked by the Heavyweight champion from no where.

Question is if Team AJ was so impressed by the Cuban style drills. Then why did they not hire Jorge Rubio himself. Instead of the guy who learnt those drills by watching videos of Rubio lol ?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Well he is just a guy who managed to fluke his way into becoming a trainer. Started of as a personal trainer. Box Aerobics.

Learnt Cuban style coaching techniques by watching videos of Jorge Rubio. Contacted Rubio spent 2 weeks with him spent more time watching videos. British Cruiserweight Isaac Chamberlain walked into his gym was impressed by the Cuban style hired him for one fight. Fernandez kept posting training clips on social media. Somebody from team AJ saw those clips was impressed and hired him.

You could not make this up. He is like the Rocky Balboa of trainers. Picked by the Heavyweight champion from no where.

Question is if Team AJ was so impressed by the Cuban style drills. Then why did they not hire Jorge Rubio himself. Instead of the guy who learnt those drills by watching videos of Rubio lol ?
It's amazing where a bit of backslapping can get a guy.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
It's amazing where a bit of backslapping can get a guy.
Should get him at the very least a mortgage free house and with cash to spare. Interesting how 3 novice coaches got there starts with three of the top heavyweights.

Angel Fernandez -AJ.
Malik Scott-Deontay Wilder.
Ben Davison- Tyson Fury.

All of them took the shortest root to the top. Whilst there are veteran coaches who been chugging away in obscurity for decades. Waiting to catch a break, so have to hand it to these three they have managed to get high profile gigs. And used social media to obtain maximum traction and publicity for themselves.

Them old time coaches won’t have a clue who twitter or Instagram are.

Anyways Angel Hernandez should write a book... “How I easily went from teaching Box Aerobics to training the Heavy Weight champion of the world in 40 months.”

That aught to be a best seller.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Should get him at the very least a mortgage free house and with cash to spare. Interesting how 3 novice coaches got there starts with three of the top heavyweights.

Angel Fernandez -AJ.
Ben Davison- Tyson Fury.

All of them took the shortest root to the top. Whilst there are veteran coaches who been chugging away in obscurity for decades. Waiting to catch a break, so have to hand it to these three they have managed to get high profile gigs. And used social media to obtain maximum traction and publicity for themselves.

Anyways Angel Hernandez should write a book... “How I easily went from teaching Box Aerobics to training the Heavy Weight champion of the world in 40 months.”

That aught to be a best seller.
Surely there the problem is this wasn't a happy ending, he coached AJ tfrom Unified Champ to washed up ex-champ with no legacy. If it's a book about conning money out of people when you aren't qualified it will work. If it's for real Boxing fans surely it'll flop.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Surely there the problem is this wasn't a happy ending, he coached AJ tfrom Unified Champ to washed up ex-champ with no legacy. If it's a book about conning money out of people when you aren't qualified it will work. If it's for real Boxing fans surely it'll flop.
AJ and McCracken lost the belts.

AJ and Hernandez couldn't win them back but did provide Usyk with a closer contest.

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
Interesting how 3 novice coaches got there starts with three of the top heavyweights.

Angel Fernandez -AJ.
Ben Davison- Tyson Fury.

It might be fun to start a running list of useless or con artist trainers. (including fitness coaches.)

You'd have to add Tunde (sparring isn't important) Ajayi to the list.
Probably also Kevin Barry.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Angel Hernandez did not con anybody. He did not hide his credentials or lack of them either.

Reactions: Philly Shell

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Angel Hernandez did not con anybody. He did not hide his credentials or lack of them either.
Well whatever I'm not sure what the key selling point to his story is then? I presume from your answer that you think it is just bamboozling AJ to hire him despite no qualifications, I'm sure that suits the Anti-AJ narrative but I'm not sure it sells many books? If the guy has no credentials and got hired for a job he wasn't qualified for then I'm guessing your suggesting a book about how he managed to get paid to make shit up and say yes alot to AJ? I dunno maybe based on this site there are enough Anti-AJ haters for that to sell but it's not really a Boxing book it's a "lets make fun of someone who paid me to do a job I'm unqualified for" book!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Well whatever I'm not sure what the key selling point to his story is then? I presume from your answer that you think it is just bamboozling AJ to hire him despite no qualifications, I'm sure that suits the Anti-AJ narrative but I'm not sure it sells many books? If the guy has no credentials and got hired for a job he wasn't qualified for then I'm guessing your suggesting a book about how he managed to get paid to make shit up and say yes alot to AJ? I dunno maybe based on this site there are enough Anti-AJ haters for that to sell but it's not really a Boxing book it's a "lets make fun of someone who paid me to do a job I'm unqualified for" book!
Get some treatment for your depression. People are increasingly worrying about you.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 · (Edited)
Lol.
The U.S.P. for the book would be about how a former amateur boxer and personal trainer took himself from rags to riches. By spending his free time learning the art and techniques of Cuban boxing. And sharing his knowledge of what he had learned on social media. And how his passion and dedication and knowledge captured the attention of the former Heavyweight champion who hired him to teach him those techniques. And ultimately that led to him recapturing the title from Ruiz jr.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
The fact AJ was too stingy to spend premium rates to hire the best Cuban coaches in the business in Angel Hernandez, Jorge Rubio, or Ismael Salas, and decided to do it cheaply by hiring Angel Hernandez to teach him Cuban boxing. Is not Angel Hernandez fault he has done the job he was payed for.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Lol.
The U.S.P. for the book would be about how a former amateur boxer and personal trainer took himself from rags to riches. By spending his free time learning the art and techniques of Cuban boxing. And sharing his knowledge of what he had learned on social media. And how his passion and dedication and knowledge captured the attention of the former Heavyweight champion who hired him to teach him those techniques. And ultimately that led to him recapturing the title from Ruiz jr.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Lol.
Well you basically said he was no good. So this would all be lying fluff.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 · (Edited)
Well you basically said he was no good. So this would all be lying fluff.
Certainly not good enough or experienced enough to be a head trainer. Or head corner man.

I don’t blame him for accepting the job, he would have been a fool to say no the blame rests with Team AJ for appointing him.
Irony here is AJ was asked after his visit to Ronnie Shields gym about appointing Shields as a coach. He said he needed to do a bit more research on Shields and who he has trained.

He needed to do more research on Shields one of the most top level trainers in boxing who has worked with the legends of the sport and who is nobodies yes man .

But appointed Angel Hernandez who had no top level coaching experience lol...

181 - 200 of 200 Posts