Boxing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Shields would be better than hunter and reynoso in my opinion

Would still like to see him with a garcia or abel sanchez
Hunter has had loads of guys come and go after his success with Ward. Andre Berto, Amir Khan, Alfredo Angulo, Andrezej Fonfara, Peter Quillin, Andre Dirrell, Abner Mares. Has not had any great successes with anyone.

Abel Sanchez been around since the 1980's his biggest success prior to GGG was Terry Norris.

Robert Gracia biggest success out of his gym. Is his brother Mikey Gracia and he is mainly trained by their father Garcia snr. Garcia for all intents and purposes has a very relaxed atmosphere in his gym. Fighters needs to be highly self-motivated, his not one to lay the law down and tell them to do anything they dont want to do.

Ronnie Shields served a long apprenticeship under the tutelage of legendary coaches Lou Duva and George Benton has worked with some of the biggest names in the sport in the last 30 years. Rocky Lockridge, Pernell Whitaker, Meldrick Taylor, Evander Holyfield, Tyson, Vernon Forrest, Juan Diaz, David Tua too many to name. In recent years its Jermall Charlo, Guillermo Rigondeaux and Erislandy Lara.

Only other active and current trainers, with this level of equivalent championship experience with the biggest names in the sport are. Freddie Roach and Joe Goosen.

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,388 Posts
Hunter has had loads of guys come and go after his success with Ward. Andre Berto, Amir Khan, Alfredo Angulo, Andrezej Fonfara, Peter Quillin, Andre Dirrell, Abner Mares. Has not had any great successes with anyone.

Abel Sanchez been around since the 1980's his biggest success prior to GGG was Terry Norris.

Robert Gracia biggest success out of his gym. Is his brother Mikey Gracia and he is mainly trained by their father Garcia snr. Garcia for all intents and purposes has a very relaxed atmosphere in his gym. Fighters needs to be highly self-motivated, his not one to lay the law down and tell them to do anything they dont want to do.

Ronnie Shields served a long apprenticeship under the tutelage of legendary coaches Lou Duva and George Benton has worked with some of the biggest names in the sport in the last 30 years. Rocky Lockridge, Pernell Whitaker, Meldrick Taylor, Evander Holyfield, Tyson, Vernon Forrest, Juan Diaz, David Tua too many to name. In recent years its Jermall Charlo, Guillermo Rigondeaux and Erislandy Lara.

Only other active and current trainers, with this level of equivalent championship experience with the biggest names in the sport are. Freddie Roach and Joe Goosen.
Sounds like if he is gonna leave McCracken, Shields is the best pick in terms of having the experience of actually training for fights with amount of pressure that will be on Usyk v AJ II.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Sounds like if he is gonna leave McCracken, Shields is the best pick in terms of having the experience of actually training for fights with amount of pressure that will be on Usyk v AJ II.
Its all about who and where he feels most comfortable with... Ronnie Shields is based in Houston. And Houston and its surrounding towns have the largest Nigerian community in America. So AJ has a ready made fanbase in the city along with great choice of Nigerian Food places and shops.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts

Stylistically I think Abel is a good fit

Ronnie has been in the game a while yes, those Fighters you listed, lot of them he wasn't head coach or number 2, and over the last 10 years, he's not done much from top of my head, he didn't add much to Rigos game in my opinion. Saying that it would still be a good pick as a trainer.

Robert Garcia has also served under snr picking up experience, he's worked with many offensive Fighters and has visibly improved aggressive 30 year old fighter such as Maidana, Mikey may have been trained early on, but he Robert has certainly been the Head coach during his rise and championship run, experience is not an issue with Robert garcia, yes he's very relaxed coach, but Joshua isnt Ruiz, who has disciplinary issues

Roach - not sure how much he's got left

Goosen - I think would also be a good fit for Joshua, but sure how much he's involved in camp though

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Stylistically I think Abel is a good fit

Ronnie has been in the game a while yes, those Fighters you listed, lot of them he wasn't head coach or number 2, and over the last 10 years, he's not done much from top of my head, he didn't add much to Rigos game in my opinion. Saying that it would still be a good pick as a trainer.

Robert Garcia has also served under snr picking up experience, he's worked with many offensive Fighters and has visibly improved aggressive 30 year old fighter such as Maidana, Mikey may have been trained early on, but he Robert has certainly been the Head coach during his rise and championship run, experience is not an issue with Robert garcia, yes he's very relaxed coach, but Joshua isnt Ruiz, who has disciplinary issues

Roach - not sure how much he's got left

Goosen - I think would also be a good fit for Joshua, but sure how much he's involved in camp though
Ronnie Shields after he retired from fighting. Was pursuaded by Lou Duva and George Benton to join there training camp. as an assistant to help them with physical aspects of training both of them were pretty old them, So shields did the padwork, the bag work, and the conditioning in those days the boxing coach was responsible for physical conditioning. Was also tasked with watching reviewing videos of opponents helping devise strategies. He served an apprentice with two legendary trainers.

In last 10 years he has almost exclusively worked. From Houston and the preference of many fighters is to train in California and Florida. Houston as a location is not on top of anyones list. Still he has had a very long run with Erislandy Lara and Charlo in recent times. He has still done quite well with Rigondeaux consudering how old Guillermo is. He has probably forgotten more about boxing then Garcia has ever learnt. Not to mention the experience of being in the corner for some of the biggest high pressure events in boxing during the last 30 years.

As far as Garcia goes I have seen most of the behind the scenes videos he has done over the last decade with Eli Seckback. Personally not impressed. I dont know about now but Mikey was until upto the Adrian Broner fight trained mainly by their dad Eduardo. Robert only acted as the head Corner man.
Probably a good gym for latino fighters with a snack table on the side with mexican snacks. And lunchtime deliveries of Burritos from Taco Bell. But I cant see AJ fitting into that gym. It would a great place for Andy Ruiz jr.

As for Abel Sanchez he has only himself to blame with his falling out with GGG wanted 10% of triple GGG supposed 100 million dollar contract with DAZN.Turned down a lucrative fixee fee fight by fight contract. I am sorry but no trainers is worth $10 million. Besides not exactly a master technician or strategist solid trainer none the less.

Reactions: Philly Shell

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Ronnie Shields after he retired from fighting. Was pursuaded by Lou Duva and George Benton to join there training camp. as an assistant to help them with physical aspects of training both of them were pretty old them, So shields did the padwork, the bag work, and the conditioning in those days the boxing coach was responsible for physical conditioning. Was also tasked with watching reviewing videos of opponents helping devise strategies. He served an apprentice with two legendary trainers.

In last 10 years he has almost exclusively worked. From Houston and the preference of many fighters is to train in California and Florida. Houston as a location is not on top of anyones list. Still he has had a very long run with Erislandy Lara and Charlo in recent times. He has still done quite well with Rigondeaux consudering how old Guillermo is. He has probably forgotten more about boxing then Garcia has ever learnt. Not to mention the experience of being in the corner for some of the biggest high pressure events in boxing during the last 30 years.

As far as Garcia goes I have seen most of the behind the scenes videos he has done over the last decade with Eli Seckback. Personally not impressed. I dont know about now but Mikey was until upto the Adrian Broner fight trained mainly by their dad Eduardo. Robert only acted as the head Corner man.
Probably a good gym for latino fighters with a snack table on the side with mexican snacks. And lunchtime deliveries of Burritos from Taco Bell. But I cant see AJ fitting into that gym. It would a great place for Andy Ruiz jr.

As for Abel Sanchez he has only himself to blame with his falling out with GGG wanted 10% of triple GGG supposed 100 million dollar contract with DAZN.Turned down a lucrative fixee fee fight by fight contract. I am sorry but no trainers is worth $10 million. Besides not exactly a master technician or strategist solid trainer none the less.
No one is questioning his apprenticeship under two great trainers, was he in the corner to all those fights?

Rigo was world class from the start of his, not to do with Shields, but Cuban amateur system

Big G just sitting in the gym is not being the head coach

In terms of improving experiences come forward fighter in the last 10 years, garcia has shown more.

Fighters would travel to train with truly great trainers, which I don't think Shields is (not saying garcia is either)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I'll be shocked if it happens, tbh I'm not convinced it would make a difference. Everyone has pointed out what AJ did wrong in the first fight and what he needs to do in the rematch. But as he is the last chance saloon he might decide it's worth a punt. Just hope if it happens he at least makes a clear statement of thanks and absolves McCracken of responsibility for the loss. Otherwise it makes him look like the same mercenary scum alot of other fighters are.
Boxing isn't a popularity contest. It's tough business and you don't get to the top by settling for having second best around you. There is little room for the sort of sentiment you seem to be hung up on. McCracken deserves his dues but if AJ aspires to be top dog again he needs to make some hard decisions, now and that appears to be what he is in the process of doing.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
No one is questioning his apprenticeship under two great trainers, was he in the corner to all those fights?

Rigo was world class from the start of his, not to do with Shields, but Cuban amateur system

Big G just sitting in the gym is not being the head coach

In terms of improving experiences come forward fighter in the last 10 years, garcia has shown more.

Fighters would travel to train with truly great trainers, which I don't think Shields is (not saying garcia is either)
Indeed Guillermo Rigondeaux was developed by the Cuban amateur system. Kindly remind were I stated otherwise...?

Ronnie Shields has been in the corner for all those fighters I mentioned above.

As for the rest I cant be bothered people can just go and watch the back catalogue of gym footage of Gracias gym. On Eli Seckbacks channell make up their own minds.

In anycase AJ wont be joining Garcias gym and I doubt he is on the list of trainers to visit either.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Indeed Guillermo Rigondeaux was developed by the Cuban amateur system. Kindly remind were I stated otherwise...?

Ronnie Shields has been in the corner for all those fighters I mentioned above.

As for the rest I cant be bothered people can just go and watch the back catalogue of gym footage of Gracias gym. On Eli Seckbacks channell make up their own minds.

In anycase AJ wont be joining Garcias gym and I doubt he is on the list of trainers to visit either.
Why are you so defensive over everything, I never said you said that, I was making a point that Shields didn't have a great deal to do with Rigo, can't hold a conversation with you, without you defending your point rather than discussing it

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Why are you so defensive over everything, I never said you said that, I was making a point that Shields didn't have a great deal to do with Rigo, can't hold a conversation with you, without you defending your point rather than discussing it
What point you want to discuss???

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

Well there you go. AJ has just visited Robert Garcias gym.

So I was completely wrong Garcia is in contention.

Mind you back in the day if someone asked me who is Oscar De Lahoya most likely to gel with, between Manny Steward and Floyd Matweather sr. I would have said Steward 100%. Whilst infact Delahoya's relationship with Steward was short lived . But he meshed really well with Floyd sr and had a very long run with him.

So yeah you could be right Robert Garcia and AJ could possibly do well together. If AJ goes with him.

I am sure AJ will still visit a few other trainers before coming to a definitive decision. Goosen, Roach and Abel Sanchez as well.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
If AJ came to your gym, at this point in his career, with whatever physical potentials & limitations he has right now -
What exactly would you try and teach him? What existing skills would you try to imporve?

Fukifiknow, but that dictates who the best trainer would be.

Not Reynoso, IMO. AJ does not have the physical gifts to learn that kind of defensive movement.
& Garcia's resume is far too limited.
---------------------------------

I also think it's unlikely that AJ will leave McKracken, but likely add a second trainer to his team. So which trainer has the skilsl, but a small enough stable, to fly back & forth to the UK once a week?

I'm thinking maybe James Ali Bashir. He has plenty of experience with HW. I like how Sirenko looks, plus he did excellent work with a physically-limited Eddie Chambers. Same with Witherspoon. He also helped Manny with Lennox Lewis. - But most importantly, supposedly he was the main guy for the Klitschkos in their latter careers. AJ might do well to adopt Wlad's "punch & grab / use your height advantage" style.
(OMG I can't believe I'm suggesting that. )

Plus, Bashir has that Kronk pedigree, which might come in handy if AJ ever actually fights Fury.

·
just loving boxing
115 Posts
If AJ came to your gym, at this point in his career, with whatever physical potentials & limitations he has right now -
What exactly would you try and teach him? What existing skills would you try to imporve?

Fukifiknow, but that dictates who the best trainer would be.

Not Reynoso, IMO. AJ does not have the physical gifts to learn that kind of defensive movement.
Garcia's resume is far too limited.
---------------------------------

I also think it's unlikely that AJ will leave McKracken, but likely add a second trainer to his team. So which trainer has the skilsl, but a small enough stable, to fly back & forth to the UK once a week?

I'm thinking maybe James Ali Bashir. He has plenty of experience with HW. I like how Sirenko looks, plus he did excellent work with a physically-limited Eddie Chambers. Same with Witherspoon. He also helped Manny with Joe Louis & Larry Holmes. - But most importantly, supposedly he was the main guy for the Klitschkos in their latter careers. AJ might do well to adopt Wlad's "punch & grab / use your height advantage" style.
(OMG I can't believe I'm suggesting that. )

Plus, Bashir has that Kronk pedigree, which might come in handy if AJ ever actually fights Fury.
It's never too late to improve.

Look at what Manny Steward was able to achieve with Wlad, even at his age and experience and where did Manny start? At the ground. The very foundation. Footwork.

Look at what a short period under Sugar Hill did for Tyson Fury. He became a different fighter between his first meeting with Wilder and his second under Sugar.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
It's never too late to improve.

Look at what Manny Steward was able to achieve with Wlad, even at his age and experience and where did Manny start? At the ground. The very foundation. Footwork.

Look at what a short period under Sugar Hill did for Tyson Fury. He became a different fighter between his first meeting with Wilder and his second under Sugar.
True enough. And as far as Wlad, that's exactly why I mentioned Bashir. (Who worked with Manny, then took over.)
AJ could likely handle some footwork improvements, and that "safety first" style. (puke....) I imagine he could also (vastly) improve his inside game.
He could also hopefully learn some new combinations, and how to protect his head better after throwing his right hand.

But AJ just does not have the flexibility & movement to learn The feights and other movement that Fury was basically born with, let alone "Cuban style" defense.
------------------

Thinking more about Bashir -
Sirenko has never fought outside of Europe. Even the Ustinov fight was in Paris. So Bashir may already be living in Europe right now.
Seems like a VERY good fit to me.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm thinking maybe James Ali Bashir. He has plenty of experience with HW. I like how Sirenko looks, plus he did excellent work with a physically-limited Eddie Chambers. Same with Witherspoon. He also helped Manny with Joe Louis & Larry Holmes. -
Joe Louis, Larry Holmes..???

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Oops. I meany Lennox.
Now that you mention it, Joe louis does seem a stretch. :lol:

- but my Google machine says Manny & Bashir helped train Holmes in his late career. (After Giachetti) Could certainly be wrong. bloody internet .....
I think your Google machine has confused the following paragraph.

"Bashir was an assistant trainer under Emanuel Steward helping Wladimir Klitschko to successfully defend the Heavyweight Championship of the World, a record 18 consecutive title defenses, behind Joe Louis's 25 consecutive title defenses and Larry Holmes's 20 consecutive title defenses. During this reign in 2013, Boxrec rated Klitschko as the number two pound-for-pound fighter in the world."

21 - 40 of 74 Posts