Boxing Forums banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Oops. I meany Lennox.
Now that you mention it, Joe louis does seem a stretch. :lol:

- but my Google machine says Manny & Bashir helped train Holmes in his late career. (After Giachetti) Could certainly be wrong. bloody internet .....
From What I recall Don Turner trained Larry Holmes in the latter part of his career.

·
southpaw
529 Posts
it would be nice to see AJ training with hunter, that ll be a whole new trip for him, i mean he trained one ATG Ward...

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
So Virgil Hunter, Eddy Reynoso, Ronnie Shields and now Robert Garcia. Who will be next?

Is there any remaining doubt about what AJs trip is for?
Maybe his making a documentary about American boxing gyms and trainers. Lol.

British Tabloids and Social media seems to be loving this and waiting to see were AJ is gonna pop up next.

AJ's marketing team will be kicking themselves if they have not sent a camera crew with him. Never seen such a public search for a trainer before its become a social media adventure like a treasure hunt.

Reactions: SimonTemplar

·
southpaw
529 Posts
or maybe Robert Garcia if he wants to be aggressive and going forward,,,Joshua still has gas in the tank to make some changes i believe.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts

Well there you go. AJ has just visited Robert Garcias gym.

So I was completely wrong Garcia is in contention.

Mind you back in the day if someone asked me who is Oscar De Lahoya most likely to gel with, between Manny Steward and Floyd Matweather sr. I would have said Steward 100%. Whilst infact Delahoya's relationship with Steward was short lived . But he meshed really well with Floyd sr and had a very long run with him.

So yeah you could be right Robert Garcia and AJ could possibly do well together. If AJ goes with him.

I am sure AJ will still visit a few other trainers before coming to a definitive decision. Goosen, Roach and Abel Sanchez as well.
I think Garcia would be better fit than Mckracken, no doubt he lacks strong areas, but I don't think his relaxed approach would affect Joshua who seems very disciplined and professional

Ronnie Shields, Sanchez, goosen would all be better fits in my opinion

Roach is the upper tier coach out of the lot in my opinion, but not sure how much he has left

I don't think hunter, reynoso whilst no doubt good coaches would work with Joshua

·
just loving boxing
115 Posts
Maybe his making a documentary about American boxing gyms and trainers. Lol.

British Tabloids and Social media seems to be loving this and waiting to see were AJ is gonna pop up next.

AJ's marketing team will be kicking themselves if they have not sent a camera crew with him. Never seen such a public search for a trainer before its become a social media adventure like a treasure hunt.
AJ is getting plenty of publicity out of this even without his own camera crew. But the publicity is on the strength of him very publicly seeking a new trainer. If the story was solely that AJ was doing a whistle stop tour of US gyms it wouldn't be generating anywhere near as much interest.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Anthony Joshua wanted 'new teaching' from coaches in America but has not split from trainer Rob McCracken | Boxing News | Sky Sports

Asked if McCracken could remain his trainer, Joshua told IFLTV: "Yeah, and he has to speak to the people I may want to work with and see if he can work with them.

"I had the same conversation with Rob, 'I want to work with you, but I also want to work with this guy for six months'.

"Rob might tell me, 'You know what champ, this ain't working for me.'

The first real hints AJ and McCracken will split?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)

Not sure what to make of the whole interview. Except he was rolling with the questions like an expert. No real explicit answers to most of the questions.

The following quote was actually about any potential new coach coming in...

"Yeah, and he has to speak to the people I may want to work with and see if he can work with them."

The following just how I read things I could be wrong. Blamed his team for the tactics in Usyk fight without really saying it out right. Blamed his team for not giving him correct information in corner without saying outright. Blamed his present coaches for not being on the same page with each other and not getting along without saying outright.

Implied that he might work with new coaches for particular fights only. Without having a long term training relationship. Implied he will not give any new coach the standard 10% will not pay a million dollars. So I assume it will be 6 figures. The new coach must be willing to work with people he wants to remain part of his permanent team. I wonder how many of the established coaches will accept above conditions.

As for Mcracken implied he may work with him in some capacity or then again he might not.

Loyalty is a great thing but he will now make decisions that are best for him. So Mccraken is probably out but for P.R. reasons it will be done very amicably with both remaining on speaking terms. As part of his marketing image.

Was also trying hard to come across like Conor Benn.Young, Angry, ready to go to war.. with loads of profanity thrown in. Seems tired of his fake "be humble" persona. So instead wants to adopt the fake bad boy persona instead.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
I think AJ would need a few fights first if hes changing trainer, he has a few months to change his tactics but once he gets clipped with Usyk's left hes going to panic again

41 - 60 of 74 Posts