Boxing Forums banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't know. Is it weird to train with Andy Ruiz by your side? Especially that they might fight for the third time. I don't know.
Plus, I don't think that Reynoso's style is a great match for AJ neither.

·
Camden born and bred
402 Posts
I don't know. Is it weird to train with Andy Ruiz by your side? Especially that they might fight for the third time. I don't know.
Plus, I don't think that Reynoso's style is a great match for AJ neither.
Not surprisingly, this is what Reynoso said about AJ : "He has many physical qualities and I think he does not take advantage of them."

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,388 Posts
I wonder if there is a time limit on the rematch? I'm guessing there will be a cutoff date sometime next summer so yeh given the changes in approach required you would expect they need to be working 24/7 to get prepared. I wonder if there is some stuff he feels he can work on with the current setup before whoever comes in can start to contribute?

·
1,388 Posts
Immediate rematches are almost always stupid. This is stupid. Just let the division move on and go get those belts after it has played out.
Given the politics in the sport (as we have seen most obviously with Whyte), he had to take it or they would likely never get a title shot again. Especially if Usyk fought Fury and lost, Fury would never give AJ the chance, he wont even fight Whyte.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Immediate rematches are almost always stupid. This is stupid. Just let the division move on and go get those belts after it has played out.
In a sporting context they are often a waste of time but unfortunately from a business perspective they are virtually a given.

What makes me most angry is where the champion, through his management, not only dictate one sided terms for the first fight they contractually obligate the opponent to one sided terms for the rematch as well. That is just wrong, on so many levels, but it goes on.

·
1,388 Posts
In a sporting context they are often a waste of time but unfortunately from a business perspective they are virtually a given.

What makes me most angry is where the champion, through his management, not only dictate one sided terms for the first fight they contractually obligate the opponent to one sided terms for the rematch as well. That is just wrong, on so many levels, but it goes on.
Standard Business practise, at the time of the contract the champion has all the power so he basically gets two paydays. If the Challenger is good enough he wins both fights and then he will be minted and the former champ will have very little opportunity to make future money. AJ will be a busted flush after the rematch if he loses, the payday is basically a pension. Not like Usyk aint making a lot too he made $6-8m from the first fight and significantly more from the rematch. Given he is the overwhelming favourite he will have earned around $20m for the 2 AJ fights and a Unification with Fury will top $50m. $70m for three fights aint bad.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts