Boxing Forums banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't know. Is it weird to train with Andy Ruiz by your side? Especially that they might fight for the third time. I don't know.
Plus, I don't think that Reynoso's style is a great match for AJ neither.

·
delivering the truth
1,064 Posts
I don't know. Is it weird to train with Andy Ruiz by your side? Especially that they might fight for the third time. I don't know.
Plus, I don't think that Reynoso's style is a great match for AJ neither.
Not surprisingly, this is what Reynoso said about AJ : "He has many physical qualities and I think he does not take advantage of them."

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,530 Posts
I wonder if there is a time limit on the rematch? I'm guessing there will be a cutoff date sometime next summer so yeh given the changes in approach required you would expect they need to be working 24/7 to get prepared. I wonder if there is some stuff he feels he can work on with the current setup before whoever comes in can start to contribute?

·
1,530 Posts
Immediate rematches are almost always stupid. This is stupid. Just let the division move on and go get those belts after it has played out.
Given the politics in the sport (as we have seen most obviously with Whyte), he had to take it or they would likely never get a title shot again. Especially if Usyk fought Fury and lost, Fury would never give AJ the chance, he wont even fight Whyte.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Immediate rematches are almost always stupid. This is stupid. Just let the division move on and go get those belts after it has played out.
In a sporting context they are often a waste of time but unfortunately from a business perspective they are virtually a given.

What makes me most angry is where the champion, through his management, not only dictate one sided terms for the first fight they contractually obligate the opponent to one sided terms for the rematch as well. That is just wrong, on so many levels, but it goes on.

·
1,530 Posts
In a sporting context they are often a waste of time but unfortunately from a business perspective they are virtually a given.

What makes me most angry is where the champion, through his management, not only dictate one sided terms for the first fight they contractually obligate the opponent to one sided terms for the rematch as well. That is just wrong, on so many levels, but it goes on.
Standard Business practise, at the time of the contract the champion has all the power so he basically gets two paydays. If the Challenger is good enough he wins both fights and then he will be minted and the former champ will have very little opportunity to make future money. AJ will be a busted flush after the rematch if he loses, the payday is basically a pension. Not like Usyk aint making a lot too he made $6-8m from the first fight and significantly more from the rematch. Given he is the overwhelming favourite he will have earned around $20m for the 2 AJ fights and a Unification with Fury will top $50m. $70m for three fights aint bad.

·
delivering the truth
1,064 Posts
I'll be shocked if it happens, tbh I'm not convinced it would make a difference.
"If some kind of plan comes up that is a great financial package and more importantly gives him more time to gel with a new trainer and then go into a massive fight for huge money later in the year and I think that's right for his career...." - Eddie Hearn.

Hearn virtually confirming AJ will soon have a new trainer and at the same time making it quite clear they are open to standing aside for Fury-Usyk.

·
Registered
13,268 Posts
"If some kind of plan comes up that is a great financial package and more importantly gives him more time to gel with a new trainer and then go into a massive fight for huge money later in the year and I think that's right for his career...." - Eddie Hearn.

Hearn virtually confirming AJ will soon have a new trainer and at the same time making it quite clear they are open to standing aside for Fury-Usyk.

Interesting.

In some ways, it makes a lot of sense for AJ to do this.

# Money for nothing. (and chicks for free.)
# More time to learn new skills, if he can.
# the possibility that Fury will beat Usyk and then retire.
# And the likelihood of a bigger payday when he does face Usyk, since fans will be excited that AJ might have become a better fighter.

But what if Usyk wants to fight AJ first? That is surely the case. Would he have no CHOICE but to fight Fury, if the boxing gods set that fight up?

------------------------------

Meanwhile, let's see Dillian Whyte have to face Wilder, for a shot at the Fury-Usyk winner. That would be some nice karma.
Alen Babic could be the referee. 😎

·
delivering the truth
1,064 Posts
Interesting.

In some ways, it makes a lot of sense for AJ to do this.

# Money for nothing. (and chicks for free.)
# More time to learn new skills, if he can.
# the possibility that Fury will beat Usyk and then retire.
# And the likelihood of a bigger payday when he does face Usyk, since fans will be excited that AJ might have become a better fighter.

But what if Usyk wants to fight AJ first? That is surely the case. Would he have no CHOICE but to fight Fury, if the boxing gods set that fight up?

------------------------------

Meanwhile, let's see Dillian Whyte have to face Wilder, for a shot at the Fury-Usyk winner. That would be some nice karma.
Alen Babic could be the referee. 😎
Usyk has been quoted as saying he is quite happy to fight Fury next and why wouldn't he? It gives him a chance at winning all the belts.

·
1,530 Posts
Wilder won't fight Whyte he had the WBC avoid that fight for like 2½ years. I presume the WBC will continue to deny Whyte forever so he should try and switch and see if any other Body will give him a title shot. If AJ takes step aside, he is going against everything he claims he is in it for LEgacy, fighting the best etc. If he really thinks its a good idea, take the money and go run a chain of Gyms or something because he aint a real fighter any more at that point.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If AJ takes step aside, he is going against everything he claims he is in it for LEgacy, fighting the best etc. If he really thinks its a good idea, take the money and go run a chain of Gyms or something because he aint a real fighter any more at that point.
So AJ "isn't a real fighter any more if he steps aside."

If/when he does step aside that is going to come back and bite you.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts