Boxing Forums banner
121 - 140 of 200 Posts

·
just loving boxing
304 Posts
It's never too late to improve and AJ has made the brave decision for change and improvement.

McCracken had to either be dispensed with or reduced to a lesser role and he has been dispensed with. It is disappointing AJ was critical of him for his role in the Usyk fight though. Removing him should have been enough.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
David Haye says AJ can’t get the rematch with Oleksandr Usyk as badly wrong as he got it the first time.

David Haye makes tactics warning to Anthony Joshua ahead of Oleksandr Usyk rematch - Daily Star

Joshua has recently ditched long-time trainer McCracken and has brought in American coach Garcia to work alongside Angel Fernandez and Joby Clayton in his corner.

“Change is good, different methods, face and voice, whoever was saying what, who came up with the plan is irrelevant, he has to win this fight to get back on top of the world” - said Haye and went on to say :

“I think his performance can’t get worse than first time, in terms of tactics and game plan, that was the worst, I am sure Garcia won’t do that again."

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
Robert Garcia's onboard now? Last I read, Fernadez was taking the reigns by himself.

Well that's pretty interesting. Possibly a great choice. I was massivley impressed with how Garcia turned Maidana around, and that's the exact approach AJ needs.

- But does AJ have the stamina to fight like that? I doubt it.
Garcia only trained one HW, which was Perez, and that didn't turn out too well.

·
just loving boxing
304 Posts
Not sure if it has been raised already, but has Robert Garcia had any success with a heavyweight? Not that I can recall.

In any case, he will encourage AJ to be more aggressive and that is imperative, because if AJ makes the mistake of trying to outbox Usyk again he will only be playing into Usyk's hands again.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Not sure if it has been raised already, but has Robert Garcia had any success with a heavyweight? Not that I can recall.

In any case, he will encourage AJ to be more aggressive and that is imperative, because if AJ makes the mistake of trying to outbox Usyk again he will only be playing into Usyk's hands again.
If AJ does anything other than go for an early KO with big power, he is throwing away his one tiny chance of a future. The problem with all sportsmen is their Ego's, as while AJ isn't a brash git like some others I can mention, he still has an ego and I worry he wont accept that he can't outbox Usyk as he will consider that conceding that Usyk is a better boxer.

·
just loving boxing
304 Posts
If AJ does anything other than go for an early KO with big power, he is throwing away his one tiny chance of a future. The problem with all sportsmen is their Ego's, as while AJ isn't a brash git like some others I can mention, he still has an ego and I worry he wont accept that he can't outbox Usyk as he will consider that conceding that Usyk is a better boxer.
Chisora had some success early charging Usyk like a wild bull but Usyk was too mobile and well schooled for it to have any lasting success.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Chisora had some success early charging Usyk like a wild bull but Usyk was too mobile and well schooled for it to have any lasting success.
If you think Chisora and AJ are vaguely comparable then I can see why you might think that but obviously anyone sane can see there are a lot of levels between a durable domestic fighter and a 2 time World Champ.

·
just loving boxing
304 Posts
If you think Chisora and AJ are vaguely comparable then I can see why you might think that but obviously anyone sane can see there are a lot of levels between a durable domestic fighter and a 2 time World Champ.
I put a discussion point up and you just play the moron card again. Why do you even bother coming here?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I put a discussion point up and you just play the moron card again. Why do you even bother coming here?
You put an insult slagging off AJ hiding as "discussion point", comparing what a much more limited fighter in every way did as though that is an indication of what would happen in this fight is either complete ignorance or a not so subtle swipe at AJ. Which was it?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts

If AJ's belief in Garcia's methods isn't strong enough he will revert to doing something else when the heat is applied and it will all have been a waste of time. Wonder if he will blame his corner again if he loses?

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 · (Edited)
Interesting reading through this thread again. So how do people rate Garcia’s performance and strategy.
There were a few people on this thread who heavily favoured Robert Garcia and believed he would turn AJ into a good attacking pressure fighter.

Well Garcia did not turn AJ into an attacking fighter.

Looking at Garcia’s lengthy pre-fight interview with Mathew Macklin. Seemed to be in awe and excited of being trainer of a Super Star. From what people are saying he was advising AJ he was winning the fight when he clearly was’nt. If true that was the same criticism of Mcracken in the first fight.

My opinion should have gone with a coach who has trained bigger super stars then AJ one who is not afraid to say “Its my way or the highway to the fighter.”

·
just loving boxing
304 Posts
Interesting reading through this thread again. So how do people rate Garcia’s performance and strategy.
There were a few people on this thread who heavily favoured Robert Garcia and believed he would turn AJ into a good attacking pressure fighter.

Well Garcia did not turn AJ into an attacking fighter.

Looking at Garcia’s lengthy pre-fight interview with Mathew Macklin. Seemed to be in awe and excited of being trainer of a Super Star. From what people are saying he was advising AJ he was winning the fight when he clearly was’nt. If true that was the same criticism of Mcracken in the first fight.

My opinion should have gone with a coach who has trained bigger super stars then AJ one who is not afraid to say “Its my way or the highway to the fighter.”
Joshua's movement and skills appeared better than ever before IMO but the additional aggression, that everyone agreed would be required, just didn't seem to be there. AJ did land some body shots early but there was no urgency to try and hurt Usyk early.

When he was first appointed, Garcia said AJ needed to use his size and strength more and be more aggressive. But AJ appeared to have elevated Angel Fernandez above Garcia a week or two before the fight and on the night seemed to have both of them in his ear. I remember about half way into the fight Joshua being told by his corner he was doing well and there was no instruction issued for him to be more aggressive.

Wonder if AJ will dispense with Garcia like he did McCracken? He is already directing blame Garcia's way by saying he left his best in the gym.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Given how well AJ did compared to the first fight you have to say Garcia's involvement was a positive overall, I don't think AJ's lack of ability to full commit to an attack has anything to do with Garcia or any trainer, it is psychological and probably unsolvable. Given AJ will be fighting in the bargain bin of the division from now on if he can motivate himself to fight at the same level as Saturday he should be the favourite to beat the second and third tier guys he will face in the trudge towards retirement.

121 - 140 of 200 Posts