Boxing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
tony got allot of hype on the forums purely because he posted on the forums.

worse fighters than bellew have challanged and won world titles. he is a European level fight for me.

Bellew was talking about how he dominated Chilemba on ifilm lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
I really like Tony, honest, down to earth and interacts with his fans. Maybe not the best ever light heavyweight to have lived, but he beat IMO Cleverly when they fought. I give him a chance against Dawson.

The stick he got after the first Chilemba fight was poor form. Chilemba just did not want to engage both times. BTW I thought he won clearly the first fight, although last nights fight was a far better performance.

G

·
I really like Tony, honest, down to earth and interacts with his fans. Maybe not the best ever light heavyweight to have lived, but he beat IMO Cleverly when they fought. I give him a chance against Dawson.

The stick he got after the first Chilemba fight was poor form. Chilemba just did not want to engage both times. BTW I thought he won clearly the first fight, although last nights fight was a far better performance.
so what did you think of his post fight interview?

·
Registered
381 Posts
He bored me last night. Bored of boxers in general coming out with the "What people put on forum" shit.

·
Prize prick!!
5,197 Posts
"Very overhyped" ?

I've not seen more than maybe 2/3 posts claiming he will become a world champion. I think the expectations of him, especially post-Chilemba are modest at best.

Even Eddie isn't hyping him up really, in fact you could say he's brutually honest with Bellew.

·
The Original Maximus
8,165 Posts
Haven't seen the undercard fights yet. I take it Bellew's decision wasn't arguable?

·
Forum Co-owner
4,228 Posts
He's a good fighter that really just falls short of real world class . A top European level fighter that could win a world tittle these days with so many belts about . In the days of only two world tittles the best he could of hoped for would of been a tittle shot and a few years in the bottom half of the top ten .

·
P4P Star
10,261 Posts
I don't think he's top world class but saying that, I don't think there are many guys out there who would beat him. I think Kovalev would hit too hard, Dawson would probably be elusive enough to not get drawn into a fight and Hopkins would be too good but beyond them, Bellew has a chance against anyone. I think he's a better fighter than Cleverly and I think he'd beat the likes of Campillo, Murat and Grachev. Bellew against Pascal would be a good fight too, I think.

Honestly, I think a lot of the hate he gets is undeserved. He's not the best boxer out there, which he admits, but he's a good, hard working, honest fighter. He has his flaws but he makes up for them with his mental attributes, which are excellent. I think he'll pick up a world title in the future and if he does, I'll be pleased for him. For all the fans he's made by posting on forums and interacting with fans on Twitter, he's attracted plenty of haters who want to make it known how much they dislike him.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
The jury's still out for me. Not many people expected Tony to beat Chilemba a second time but Tony found the will. I think Bellew could certainly win a world title.

·
Registered
17,509 Posts
I give a lot of credit to Bellew, especially for that 2nd Chilemba fight. I'm kind of split on whether I'm a fan or not but overall he's done pretty well so far. He's had one or two dodgy performances and sometimes he comes the wrong way a bit but really he's doing well. He gave Cleverly a really good fight when a lot thought he was only there because he had the same promoter and he regrouped to comfortably beat Chilemba in a rematch just a couple of months after he arguably lost to him.

I thought he did well Saturday. It wasn't a great fight (Vano compared it to Taylor/Hopkins rematches where their styles would never really gel), but Tony kept the pressure up sensibly and boxed well enough to control the action against a decent and awkward opponent.

Would he beat Chad Dawson? Probably not, depends how Dawson responds to the Ward defeat. Dawson's arguably better than everyone in the division anyway so it's a really tough route to take in an era where world titles are handed out like flyers.

If Bellew was to fight Nathan Cleverly in a rematch I think it would be really close again.

Bellew is comfortably top 10 in the division now for me and that's an achievement in itself.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I think he could hold a title at some point if he's guided correctly. I think Dawson and Hopkins would tool him and reckon Kovalev knocks him out but out with those 3 I reckon he's got a decent chance against most of the other guys at the top of the 175 table. It's not a great division really.

G

·
Over hyped for me. He's not necessarily over hyped by people on forums or particularly Eddie Hearn, but the way sky hyped him before the first Chilemba fight was ridiculous, they were going way over the top hyping him up. For me he'd be very fortunate to win a world title, he's very one dimensional amd I think most of the top guys would work him out very quickly

·
The Boxing Mad Man...
9,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"Very overhyped" ?
Yes.

Over hyped for me. He's not necessarily over hyped by people on forums or particularly Eddie Hearn, but the way sky hyped him before the first Chilemba fight was ridiculous, they were going way over the top hyping him up.

For me he'd be very fortunate to win a world title, he's very one dimensional amd I think most of the top guys would work him out very quickly
Agree.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts