Boxing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,300 Posts
Well, the state of Olympic boxing has been such shite, for so long, maybe this is for the best.
What has it gotten us? More cereal box covers, and fabricated "champs" like AJ.
Feh.

One could argue that without the Olympics, there might be less of a pathway for young athletes into the professional ranks. But then again, there will still be Golden Gloves and such.

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
One could argue that without the Olympics, there might be less of a pathway for young athletes into the professional ranks. But then again, there will still be Golden Gloves and such.

Not really. The path will still be there. All an amateur has to do is turn pro, Olympic boxing or not. Now, I'll concede they won't have much of a following or national recognition without all the press coverage of competing and winning Olympic Gold.

The Olympic Medal fighters that I can remember all came about starting in the 60's to where they had somewhat of an "in" once they turned pro. Clay/Ali is the first I can remember who managed to use his Olympic exposure to his credit and in the 70's, Sugar Ray Leonard took it to another level by getting huge paydays almost right out the gate of his career.

However, the majority of the champions over the years never saw Olympic action.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Not really. The path will still be there. All an amateur has to do is turn pro, Olympic boxing or not. Now, I'll concede they won't have much of a following or national recognition without all the press coverage of competing and winning Olympic Gold.

The Olympic Medal fighters that I can remember all came about starting in the 60's to where they had somewhat of an "in" once they turned pro. Clay/Ali is the first I can remember who managed to use his Olympic exposure to his credit and in the 70's, Sugar Ray Leonard took it to another level by getting huge paydays almost right out the gate of his career.

However, the majority of the champions over the years never saw Olympic action.
I'd say that that's partly due to the other international boxes either can't turn pro or have a larger barrier to do so

1 - 7 of 7 Posts