Boxing Forums banner

British Boxing

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Dynamito 
#1 ·
I watched a Hearn interview today or yesterday and he said (amongst other things) the following;

1) Maurice Hooker has been given an offer to fight Conor Benn
2) A "very large" offer has been sent to QB for Anthony Yarde to fight Joshua Buatsi on DAZN
3) Conor Benn, Chris Billam-Smith & someone else I can't recall have been removed from the WBC rankings for failing to enrol in their Clean Boxing Programme
4) Benn isn't ready for Avenysan yet (and also said that Hooker isn't as good as Avenysan excuse the spelling mistake can't be bothered to look it up though)

The Yarde offer is what got me paying attention. I watched a Warren interview today and he confirmed the offer had come in but was quick to downplay the significance of the sum on offer, he said what's very large to Hearn obviously isn't very large to himself. He also said that Hearn only made the offer as he knows Yarde is eyeing Joe Smith Jr next.

#3 ·
Yarde is next in line for Joe Smith thats why they made the offer now, looks like Smith vs Yarde will be next or Yarde will get the winner of Smith vs Beterbiev in a Unification

They are both winnable for Yarde if he can box and be safe against Smith and try and catch Beterbiev before getting caught (highly unlikely) but Yarde has a good chin and Beterbiev can be hurt

Makes no sense to fight Buatsi yet which is why Hearn offered

#5 ·
I watched this Hearn interview yesterday, I should have broke it down then but didn't have time so off memory this is what I have for anyone who's interested but doesn't have an hour to sit and watch

Fury vs Whyte
  • Whyte will take the fight against Fury
  • QB won the purse bid because they made an artificial bid (adds that that's not unusual)
  • He hasn't made any comments about the fight because it's not his fight
  • The purse split is outrageous
  • We spoke to Ben Shalom to see how much Sky were looking to bid but in the end only I and QB turned up

Joshua vs Usyk
  • Fury asked for a fight before Usyk so AJ asked for more money and then Fury ended negotiations and decided to fight Whyte instead
  • We trust Usyk to do what he says but we don't trust Fury to fight three times this year and AJ needs his shot this year
  • AJ said he'll beat Usyk without a trainer

Taylor vs Serrano
  • Paul was great at the launch presser and adds value to the promotion
  • Paul's involvement is the reason Serrano can get the money she wants for the fight
  • The fight is bigger than Stevenson vs Valdez Jr so we're not worried if they go the same night
  • Arum's comments about women's boxing show he's a dinosaur stuck in the dark ages and Warren's lack of female interest proves he's the same

#6 ·
I think what is clear from observing Hearn in this interview is he's deeply concerned about the future of his heavyweight stable. Neither of his two top heavyweight attractions are favourites to win their next fights as things stand and there'll be no rematch clauses either so a real worry for Matchroom. Who's next in line after Whyte? If it's Wardley the situation is dire but I still think Joshua has a chance so all might not be lost, time will tell

#7 ·
It would seem that cruiserweight world champion Lawrence Okolie is on his way out of Matchroom after his next fight if not before, following an offer Eddie Hearn says that Boxxer made him recently in which they've apparently said they want to make the unbeaten Brit the poster boy for Sky Sports boxing.

I watched an interview Hearn gave where he not only said the above but he was also asked about some Tweets that Okolie had made which allegedly insinuated that Hearn was a slavemaster (the Tweets have since been deleted). Hearn was visibly upset and let down by the Tweets and of course vehemently denies such treatment of Okolie, using the opportunity on camera to remind us of everything he's done in favour of the fighter including losing money on shows and buying him a Rolex watch, all in an effort to restore his name and show Okolie to be an ungrateful pos.

With recent departures from Parker and Liam Smith, this wouldn't be good news for the Matchroom stable which is already looking depleted since confirming exclusivity with DAZN.

#11 ·
AJ seems extra sensitive to criticism. Probably had footage leaked as revenge for Joe Joyces remarks in the press about Joshuas rematch with Usyk.

#13 ·
Maxi Hughes will defend his IBO "world" Lightweight title against the former IBF World Featherweight champion Barry "Kid" Galahad tonight, I think they go the same time as Joyce vs Parker so I'll watch this one in the morning. Yesterday, on a poll for this fight I picked Hughes on points but then just now I saw this face off

Now I've got Galahad by KO. I can see now that Maxi's already lost this contest.

#14 ·
Joshua Buatsi has decided not to sign the contract to fight Jean Pascal, his promoter says it's because said contract did not mandate VADA testing and that DiBella's verbal assurances that testing would be done isn't reliable enough for Team Buatsi. If that's all true then that's fine by me given Pascal's recent suspension having tested positve for banned substances.

But this was an IBF final eliminator so now where to for Buatsi? He seems to be annoyed that he isn't fighting Bivol next but his trainer said after his last fight that his performance wasn't good enough to show him that he's ready for the world champion next, he doesn't appear to be listening though. When asked last weekend about a fight with Callum Smith he said why would Smith fight him when he's next up for the world title, when what I hoped to hear was yeah I want Smith next since Bivol is engaged. Although in the same interview he did say he bumped into Yarde and told him they should fight but no one's bothered about that anymore I don't think.

The IBF will surely toss Buatsi out of their rankings now but I hope they don't. If they let a known drug cheat fight for their belt or in any kind of eliminator they should require that fighter to undergo strict drug testing at their own expense.

#15 ·
Joshua Buatsi has decided not to sign the contract to fight Jean Pascal, his promoter says it's because said contract did not mandate VADA testing and that DiBella's verbal assurances that testing would be done isn't reliable enough for Team Buatsi. If that's all true then that's fine by me given Pascal's recent suspension having tested positve for banned substances.

But this was an IBF final eliminator so now where to for Buatsi? He seems to be annoyed that he isn't fighting Bivol next but his trainer said after his last fight that his performance wasn't good enough to show him that he's ready for the world champion next, he doesn't appear to be listening though. When asked last weekend about a fight with Callum Smith he said why would Smith fight him when he's next up for the world title, when what I hoped to hear was yeah I want Smith next since Bivol is engaged. Although in the same interview he did say he bumped into Yarde and told him they should fight but no one's bothered about that anymore I don't think.

The IBF will surely toss Buatsi out of their rankings now but I hope they don't. If they let a known drug cheat fight for their belt or in any kind of eliminator they should require that fighter to undergo strict drug testing at their own expense.
Well not sure what Eddie Hearns plan here is. And I doubt it was about the drug testing.

#16 ·
In other news Kid Galahad apparently got robbed against Maxi Hughes on the score cards. This Hughes is trained by Josh Warrington dad so two robberies in two fights for Galahad against team Warrington. At 32 and fighting at Lightweight now I don’t see much of a future for Galahad.

#18 ·
Just watched the highlights Galahad seems done no speed or snap in his punches. Loads of tired punches. Seems a million miles from the fighter that he was a few years ago. Hope he has made enough money to retire can’t see him getting back to world level.

Reactions: Philly Shell
#23 ·
Sam Eggington just lost to Dennis Hogan in Australia by all accounts he was surprisingly tired and lethargic and sleep walked through the fight. Egg amazingly is still only 28 years old. Anyway he probably needs to retire before he ends up punch drunk and his brawling style was never made for a long career. He has earned well for his limited talents and if has been smart with his money he should have enough to retire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.