??

• Yes

• No

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
'G' nius
27,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usyk is obviously a maniac, and has a good beard. I just got finished watching the Helenius bout (forgot about it) and his power is obviously still there. Now, would Usyk stand in the pocket like he did with AJ and shake Wilder's confidence and eventually outbox him over 12 rounds?

OR if Wilder gets to him, can Usyk take it like Fury did?

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
Fury is special in that he took the best Wilder could offer in punches, got knocked down and then proceeded to get up and continue fighting. The ONLY opponent to do that when hit flush, so I think Fury has one of the best chins in the top division, if not all of boxing.

I think Usyk can really frustrate Wilder with his superior boxing ability and evasiveness when punches are coming his way, but it only takes one well placed punch to send an opponent down for the count. However, Usyk can box very well and is hardly ever out of position so if he can continue to make Wilder miss and frustrate him, his chances of winning a match against Wilder is pretty good in my opinion.

He's just got to avoid that big right hand because if hit flush, who knows how he'll react or if he can recover-------that would be the big "IF" in this fight.

·
The World's Great Lover
34,316 Posts
Usyk likes to fight, its his natural inclination to try to mix it up and I think that would be the biggest thing he would have to try to kill in fighting Deontay.
Deontay's right hand keeps him in all rights and he isn't reckless with his offense to land it.
Usyk has the boxing skill advantage, but he doesn't have the chin and I think him trying to rally leaves him open and I don't think he could eat the right hands repeatedly.

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
Deontay's right hand keeps him in all rights and he isn't reckless with his offense to land it.

My only objection to this reply is this little tidbit of observation. Wilder has shown many times to be very clumsy with his punching, especially when he thinks he has an opponent hurt. After over 40 fights, he still goes into "windmill mode" from time to time in just about every fight I've seen him in, often throwing punches with reckless abandon and leaving himself open to counters by his opponent.

I think that is something Usyk can take advantage of---------if he can withstand the barrage.

·
'G' nius
27,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
often throwing punches with reckless abandon and leaving himself open to counters by his opponent.
I think that is something Usyk can take advantage of---------if he can withstand the barrage.
This is what I'm thinking, he is way smaller than Wilder length wise, so when Wilder goes into Wild mode he could maybe just cover up and smother the punches?

Big tornado to weather, though.

·
The World's Great Lover
34,316 Posts
My only objection to this reply is this little tidbit of observation. Wilder has shown many times to be very clumsy with his punching, especially when he thinks he has an opponent hurt. After over 40 fights, he still goes into "windmill mode" from time to time in just about every fight I've seen him in, often throwing punches with reckless abandon and leaving himself open to counters by his opponent.

Deontay only does that when he has you hurt, and for Deontay means 99% of the time he is going to finish you.
If Usyk's plan is to get legit hurt and try to counter Deontay while he the one hurt and facing a barrage, that might be one of the worst plans I've ever heard

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
Deontay only does that when he has you hurt, and for Deontay means 99% of the time he is going to finish you.
If Usyk's plan is to get legit hurt and try to counter Deontay while he the one hurt and facing a barrage, that might be one of the worst plans I've ever heard

You are aware that many boxers have faked being stunned/hurt on purpose to lure an opponent into getting careless thinking they were on the verge of being stopped only to unload on them and turn the tables.

Usyk doesn't necessarily have to be hurt to get Wilder to go into "Windmill Mode" with slinging haymakers from left field, he just has to make it appear so.

·
'G' nius
27,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are aware that many boxers have faked being stunned/hurt on purpose to lure an opponent into getting careless thinking they were on the verge of being stopped only to unload on them and turn the tables.

Usyk doesn't necessarily have to be hurt to get Wilder to go into "Windmill Mode" with slinging haymakers from left field, he just has to make it appear so.
examples of this please?

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
examples of this please?

You're telling me you've never seen fighters do a fake stagger or fall back clumsily against the ropes to draw an opponent in so they can unload on them????

I've been watching boxing since I was a little kid in the late 50's and have seen this ploy numerous times. Can I name a particular fight, no, I don't have that kind of memory with the following exception.

Muhammad Ali used this a bit in his fight with George Forman where he laid against the ropes while Foreman battered his body. I'm sure early on when Ali did his now famous "Rope-A-Dope" Foreman thought he had him getting tired and was hurting him, all the while expending a lot of energy that led to his KO and losing his title to Ali.

·
The World's Great Lover
34,316 Posts
You're telling me you've never seen fighters do a fake stagger or fall back clumsily against the ropes to draw an opponent in so they can unload on them????

I've been watching boxing since I was a little kid in the late 50's and have seen this ploy numerous times. Can I name a particular fight, no, I don't have that kind of memory with the following exception.

Muhammad Ali used this a bit in his fight with George Forman where he laid against the ropes while Foreman battered his body. I'm sure early on when Ali did his now famous "Rope-A-Dope" Foreman thought he had him getting tired and was hurting him, all the while expending a lot of energy that led to his KO and losing his title to Ali.
The rope-a-dope wasn't acting like you were hurt, its just leaning on the ropes in a guard and taking shots, which Ali could do because he had one of the best chins in boxing history and he was losing his legs.

That said the fact you can't name a single time your supposed strategy was actually implemented is telling.

Like I said, Wilder typically will flurry when he sees he has hurt a person and there is little risk, this is evidenced by him not losing or being hurt due to this in any fight, not even the 3 fury fights.
That said if you think that is the strategy Usyk would employ thats a high risk strategy I have no confidence in him pulling off.

Reactions: turbotime

·
Super Moderator
13,476 Posts

That's a good point, but I've never seen Usyk do this, and I've seen every fight of his that was ever broadcast.

Also, since Usyk clearly does not have 1-punch power at HW, doing a rope-a-dope against Wilder would be close to suicide.
Usyk is massively skilled, but he 'aint no Ali, and Wilder is arguably even more dangerous than Foreman was.

The smart move for Usyk would obviously be to reign in his aggressive nature, and play it safe, going for a decision win.

·
Super Moderator
13,476 Posts
Looks like Hrgoivic is out, for now, despite the IBF's decision, with Usyk supposedly prepared to vacate his IBF title.
Usyk - Fury looking likely.

(News breaking all over the internet in the last few days.)

But with fury fighting Derek "highest paid heavy bag in the sport today" Chisora, it would be odd for Usyk not to have some interim fight, to keep toasty.

There are so many tasty options, but one could suppose Usyk would want to play it safe, so likely NOT Wilder.

·
'G' nius
27,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yet you can't name any?

How is the rope a dope acting like you were hurt, He never faked like he was hurt once. He simply let Foreman punch himself out. No way in hell will Povetkin use that strategy :lol: Wilder would break him in half.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Fury is special in that he took the best Wilder could offer in punches, got knocked down and then proceeded to get up and continue fighting. The ONLY opponent to do that when hit flush, so I think Fury has one of the best chins in the top division, if not all of boxing.

I think Usyk can really frustrate Wilder with his superior boxing ability and evasiveness when punches are coming his way, but it only takes one well placed punch to send an opponent down for the count. However, Usyk can box very well and is hardly ever out of position so if he can continue to make Wilder miss and frustrate him, his chances of winning a match against Wilder is pretty good in my opinion.

He's just got to avoid that big right hand because if hit flush, who knows how he'll react or if he can recover-------that would be the big "IF" in this fight.
Could not have said it better. Usyk wins unless Wilder stops him and it is possible he could. Only one way to find out.

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
Yet you can't name any?

How is the rope a dope acting like you were hurt, He never faked like he was hurt once. He simply let Foreman punch himself out. No way in hell will Povetkin use that strategy :lol: Wilder would break him in half.

Like I said, I've likely seen a few thousand fights in my lifetime and know I've seen boxers feign injury or being hurt to lure an opponent in. If you have NEVER seen that, then perhaps you don't look close enough when watching fights.

·
Registered
14,393 Posts
This would be an interesting fight. Both guys can win. If Wilder stays at a around 215, he has a better chance of winning. The main thing is to not tire himself out. Eeontay can take a good punch, so I don't think Usyk can stop Wilder, but hd can outbox him. Wilder would need to stop Usyk to win. If he actrually commits to the body, he probably stops Usyk. Problem is, I have never seen Deontay commit to the body. It would be a 50/50 fight in my book. Deontay is a proud, stubborn guy. You have to know your limitations and make adjustments to give yourself a better chance to win. When you are fighting the best fighters in the world. It's not all about power. You have to know how to use what you naturally have. Wilder is a freak with crippling power, long limbs and speed to boot. He just have to utilize his gifts. Usyk has proven to be special. Very unorthodox, super-quick,superior boxing skill and ring generalship, and a great chin. He's also physically strong. Strong enough to rough AJ up. It would be a great fiht.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts