Boxing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What do we think about Canelo at 200 lb? That's a big jump in weight nearly 2½ stone! While I don't think Makabu is a super strong opponent at Cruiser, he might have one punch power that Canelo has never faced before so I can't say this will be a cake walk for the P4P King. I would still make Canelo 70-30 favourite but I wouldn't be surprised if this was weight class too far for Canelo

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I think cw is 190 now so that helps canelo, i like makabu even though i lost money on him when he got brutally knocked out by bellew, he looked like he injured his leg after dropping tony in the first round.

Canelo and his team obviously think this is easier than fat Dave at 168 or any of the champs at 175 but makabu has looked good since his loss so it's an interesting and dangerous fight.

makabu hasn't fought since last December so it would be 17 months since his last fight if the canelo fight happens in may. Another advantage for the ginger.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Will be at 190lbs but this is crazy, I wonder if he will even move back down to 175lbs after, Makabu has seemed to improve alot since the Bellew loss its not a bad fight at all

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
I guess now we know why they made Bridgerweight. (puke.)

But Makabu is too strong. He might be a little slow and stiff, but that power is ridiculous.
Bellew fought him brilliantly, so there's a blueprint, but this is way too dangerous a fight, when they don't have to make it. I don't get it.

Maybe they're paying Makabu to lay down?

Or maybe they figure that forcing Makabu to make 190 would drastically weaken him, which of course it would.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I read an article where it said it's gone back to 190 but only wbc fights, sorry if that is incorrect.
I think this is right, only the WBC have the Bridgerweight division so they're the only ones who've changed their Cruiserweight weight limit but I thought he'd announce a fight at 175 next, didn't expect this news at all

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
There are articles about that suggest the WBC plan to drop their cruiserweight limit back to 190 but not sure if they have implemented it yet.
What's the Bridgerweight limit? Is it 210? I think the title fight between Jennings and Rivas is scheduled if I remember rightly, or if not Rivas, Jennings and someone i'm sure

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The past 2 days I've heard lots of hating on this fight, accusations that Canelo is cherry picking and dodging Benavidez and Breidis, the hate is ferocious but this thread hasn't really drawn that criticism from us here on the whole, I wonder why he can't catch a break. He just cleaned up at 168, that means there's no question over who's the best in the division. Also, when Roy moved to heavyweight he didn't fight Lewis, he fought Ruiz so what's wrong with Canelo fighting Makabu in his first ever challenge at the class? I wouldn't even complain if he fought a non-champion first to test the water, this is a big step up and apparently it is going to be at the 200lb limit after all (although I don't know if there'll be any rehydration clause not that Makabu gets any bigger on fight night anyway).

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
What's the Bridgerweight limit? Is it 210? I think the title fight between Jennings and Rivas is scheduled if I remember rightly, or if not Rivas, Jennings and someone i'm sure
It's 200, but will be 190 by the time Canelo fights again.

This was the WBC's plan from the beginning. They obviously (seriously) did this in part to help Canelo get yet another belt. Also to collect more sanctioning fees, of course.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Oh
It's 200, but will be 190 by the time Canelo fights again.

This was the WBC's plan from the beginning. They obviously (seriously) did this in part to help Canelo get yet another belt. Also to collect more sanctioning fees, of course.
No I mean Bridgerweight, you're talking about the Cruiserweight limit and yes I did read an article confirming that it's still 200 for the WBC but then I heard Makabu say that there'll be no catchweight and they'll fight at 200lb. Strangely this looks like a mandatory now because it'll go to purse bids if they can't agree the terms between themselves apparently. I say strangely but it's the WBC so sounds about right actually

·
Registered
13,168 Posts
Oh

No I mean Bridgerweight, you're talking about the Cruiserweight limit and yes I did read an article confirming that it's still 200 for the WBC but then I heard Makabu say that there'll be no catchweight and they'll fight at 200lb. Strangely this looks like a mandatory now because it'll go to purse bids if they can't agree the terms between themselves apparently. I say strangely but it's the WBC so sounds about right actually
I'm talking Bridgerweight. According to Wiki (not always accurate, but this can't be an error)

"The WBC intend to reduce the lower limit for the (Bridgerweight) weight class to 190 pounds (86 kg; 13 st 8 lb), lowering the upper limit for cruiserweight accordingly, within "six months or one year" of the November 2020 announcement."

And I read somewhere else, in a quote from someone reliable (I forget who) that this was the plan from the beginning.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm talking Bridgerweight. According to Wki (not always accurate, but this can't be an error)

"The WBC intend to reduce the lower limit for the (Bridgerweight) weight class to 190 pounds (86 kg; 13 st 8 lb), lowering the upper limit for cruiserweight accordingly, within "six months or one year" of the November 2020 announcement."

And I read somewhere else, in a quote from someone reliable (I forgfet who) that this was the plan from the beginning.
Ah right so then you're talking about the Bridgerweight lower limit (or Cruiserweight upper limit) but I was trying to find out the upper limit for Bridgerweight and I think Gareth is right it's 224lbs and I think Rivas fought a Bridger eliminator recently too so the division is live right now but Makabu is sure he'll fight Canelo at 200lbs so there's more WBC created confusion right now

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Benavidez lost out on the fight after the Uzcategui fight got cancelled, if he stopped him (which he would have) it would have made a statement because he had never been stopped

I dont think Canelo is ducking anyone the next opponent has to earn the fight, Charlo should come to 168 and fight Benavidez

1 - 19 of 19 Posts