Boxing Forums banner

Cleverly vs Coyne off!

2K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Twelvey 
#1 ·
Undefeated light-heavyweight contender Ryan Coyne has exclusively revealed to WBN that his fight with WBO title holder Nathan Cleverly is highly unlikely to happen due to action taken by his ex-promoter Don King.

The 30 year-old southpaw has been announced as the Welshman's fourth title defence for the last few weeks, but has now revealed that his one-time promoter Don King is threatening legal action towards the fight agreement.

The contest was pencilled in on the undercard of Golden Boy's massive headline card featuring Abner Mares and Anselmo Moreno and Coyne is distraught that the opportunity may have now been taken away from him.

"I am sorry to toss a monkey wrench in things, but my fight with Nathan Cleverly is not going to happen," Coyne told World Boxing News. "This is purely because of the spite of an evil zealot named Don King.

"I personally am 100% ready to go forward with this fight and I can't wait to oppose Nathan Cleverly next month, but Don threatened the WBO and Frank Warren with a lawsuit and that seems to be that.

"In my eyes, my contract with him expired, but he is now claiming an extension and due to his threats to great promoters like Frank Warren and Golden Boy, it is a dreadful situation that has cost me dearly."

It now remains to be seen whether the high-profile fight can be salvaged or whether the Saint Louis boxer will be forced to give way from deserved shot at the 175lb world title at Don King's expense.

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2012/10/wbn-exclusive-don-king-dispute-means.html

See less See more
#8 ·
What kind if shit is Warren going to replace Coyne with at 3 weeks notice?
it better not be some shitty journeyman whos been stopped before like Gabriel Campillo

#12 ·
Nathan Cleverly is the most avoided fighter in boxing right now. Braehmer, Krasniqi, Bellew in a rematch, Coyne, Uzelkov and the Klitschko's. He should take up that job on Countdown.
bhop and froch as well, i feel for the kid

#17 ·
The fight could still happen with Coyne and King going to court on November 1st.

In other news, Dean Powell has won the award for WBO world matchmaker of the year. Seriously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.