Boxing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested to hear what peoples thoughts are on the likelihood of any of the major fights in 2020 going ahead?
Whyte v Povetkin
Usyk v Chisora
Joshua v Pulev
Fury v Wilder III

All are mean't to happen before mid July. I would put money on none of these occurring. I think there will be no major World title fights until at least september and those big HW encounters may even end up in the Nov/Dec slots. I'm guessing that will push any potential Fury v AJ fight into Apr/May 21.

Anyone willing to stick their neck out and say they think any of these go on?

· Registered
9,450 Posts
I was thinking of going to a couple of these shows, but I'm not going to bother with tickets now.

I am doubtful they take place.

Also, can't see them happening behind closed doors like other sports. Boxing has no fixed schedule to adhere to, and the lack of a live gate would probably result in a loss for the promoters.

I am sure I urge heard Eddie talk about the importance of ticket sales to the Matchroom business model.

· Registered
4,079 Posts
I think much of it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Even when events remain scheduled, many people won't buy tickets for fear either of the virus itself, or indirect fear of the event being cancelled through poor ticket sales. So there's a double hit to confidence. I wouldn't buy a ticket to anything before the Summer right now, most people I talk to feel the same way. So even events which go ahead are at risk of a late cancellation. We have tickets for the British GP in July and I'm not confident that will go ahead, so I'd have even more doubt about anything before then.

· The Anti-Bully
14,009 Posts
Nevada State Commission have cancelled all combat sport events indefinitely, can see other States following suit pretty quickly

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.