Boxing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep that's right folks, Darren Barker is back after yet another lay off but as ever is looking to reach the top of the middleweight pack and intends to Dazzle his hometown fans on September 8th. No opponent as of yet but he will be headlining the Sky Sports televised show.

Barker's promoter Eddie Hearn also hoping to pencil in the long awaited rematch between current Commonwealth Welterweight title holder Denton Vassell and English title holder Lee Purdy to top undercard. The first bout two years ago was one of the fights of the year domestically as heavy underdog Purdy shocked many taking Vassell to the wire in what was supposed to be a relatively easy nights work.

Vassell since then has gone on to retain the Commonwealth title two more times in low key affairs and has found progressing to next stage of career hard under guidance of Hatton Promotions, In the meantime Purdy's gone on to win the British title against Craig Watson in a major shock. Purdy would repeat the feat in his first defence against the Mancunian but would then lose in a All Essex battle against veteran Colin Lynes over 12 rounds in which the Colchester man had no answer to Lynes movement and fundamental boxing. He would bounce back to win the English title against Adnan Amar with a 5th round TKO on undercard of Kell Brook's win over Matthew Hatton.

Matchroom Promoter Eddie Hearn is also looking to display one of his up and coming talents once again in form of the English Light Middleweight champion Erick 'The Eagle' Ochieng. No opponent has been announced as of yet.

Also on the bumper bill John 'The Gorilla' Ryder gets his first shot at a title after making it 11-0 in his latest victory over Luke Robinson. Martin Ward also makes his debut on the Sky Sports show.

Ticket information will be available shortly on matchroomboxing.com

·
The Bobsledinator
32,790 Posts
Big fan of Darren Barker, I hope he does well and impresses. WAR BARKER forever and a day

·
I SMELL PUSSY!!!
14,804 Posts
Big fan of Darren, good fighter and the bloke who done my tattoo was mates with him so spent the whole time talking about him, reckon he'd beat Macklin too, shame he's had no luck with injuries or I think Hearn could have gotten him a world title.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yep that's right folks, Darren Barker is back after yet another lay off but as ever is looking to reach the top of the middleweight pack and intends to Dazzle his hometown fans on September 8th. No opponent as of yet but he will be headlining the Sky Sports televised show.

Barker's promoter Eddie Hearn also hoping to pencil in the long awaited rematch between current Commonwealth Welterweight title holder Denton Vassell and English title holder Lee Purdy to top undercard. The first bout two years ago was one of the fights of the year domestically as heavy underdog Purdy shocked many taking Vassell to the wire in what was supposed to be a relatively easy nights work.

Vassell since then has gone on to retain the Commonwealth title two more times, while Purdy won the British title against Craig Watson in a major shock. Purdy would repeat the feat in his first defence against the Mancunian but would then lose in a All Essex battle against veteran Colin Lynes over 12 rounds in which the Colchester man had no answer to Lynes movement and fundamental boxing. He would bounce back to win the English title against Adnan Amar with a 5th round TKO on undercard of Kell Brook's win over Matthew Hatton.

Matchroom Promoter Eddie Hearn is also looking to display one of his up and coming talents once again in form of the English Light Middleweight champion Erick 'The Eagle' Ochieng. No opponent has been announced as of yet.

Also on the bumper bill John 'The Gorilla' Ryder gets his first shot at a title after making it 11-0 in his latest victory over Luke Robinson. Martin Ward also makes his debut on the Sky Sports show.

Ticket information will be available shortly on matchroomboxing.com
Be good to see Darren back in action. John's rumoured to be changing his nickname to 'Rough'. MRoom got a big month in Sept. Big Irish show too, probably headed by Frampton v Martinez.

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Be good to see Darren back in action. John's rumoured to be changing his nickname to 'Rough'. MRoom got a big month in Sept. Big Irish show too, probably headed by Frampton v Martinez.
I hope he does i'm not rating a pale skinned guy with nickname 'The Gorilla'. Matchroom looking to show why Sky had faith in them with these shows.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Big fan of Darren, good fighter and the bloke who done my tattoo was mates with him so spent the whole time talking about him, reckon he'd beat Macklin too, shame he's had no luck with injuries or I think Hearn could have gotten him a world title.
With three world middleweight title fights coming up before end of August I think if Barker impresses, then Hearn will go all out to get him one over here should he come through his September fight. Alway thought Barker v Geale at the O2 would be one of those British boxing memorable nights.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I hope he does i'm not rating a pale skinned guy with nickname 'The Gorilla'. Matchroom looking to show why Sky had faith in them with these shows.
I'm fairly sure I bought a pack of condoms many, many years ago that were called Rough Rider. Random but true.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
He has a similar style to Darren Baker who fought Martinez imo. I think he'll go far.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Darren waved at me in Nottingham.

WAR BARKER

·
Registered
23,541 Posts
Always been a big fan of Barker, very humble bloke, and has sound skills inside the ring, Hopefully the hip problem is finally a thing of the past, a 10 rounder against a decent Euro-Level operator is what's needed.

Purdy/Vassell II will be a cracking fight, hopefully it can be made, I don't see why not as Hatton hasn't got any TV.

I'm guessing Ryder will fight for the Southern Area Title? His last two performances haven't been all that, but at least he's been tested by a few decent guys and came through them comfortably.

Don't know too much about Martin Ward, will his style work in the pro's? Isn't he training with Tony Simms?

Looks like a very good card.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I like Barker but I fear (or should i say hope) he doesnt become a bit of a "celebrity" boxer.

Hopefully his injury fully clears up & he can get back in the ring against a TTG..... (even Hearn :yep)

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm fairly sure I bought a pack of condoms many, many years ago that were called Rough Rider. Random but true.
:lol: Sounds like every womans dream..

That you Mr Brown? Like the Username and the avatar :yep.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts