Boxing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Romero surprised me, he usually can't box for shit, just swings for the fences. I actually had him beating Davis 5-0 until the stoppage.

Davis was on the back outside using lateral movement, not having much success until he catches Romero coming in too aggressive. Davis lands a beautiful looping left hand that has Romero almost through the ropes. Romero beats the count, but his legs are nowhere to be found

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
I think it was a VERY questionable stoppage.

Romero looked shaken, but clear-headed. Tons of fighters have come back from shots like that and won via KO. Romero had been doing very well, and deserved a chance to continue.

If Romero had put Davis down in the exact same way, and Davis looked exactly the same when he got up, do you think it would have been stopped? Of course not.

But of course, team Mayweather wasn't going to have a ref that would let the opponent have any chance at all.

Same as it ever was.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts

Romero looked shaken, but clear-headed. Tons of fighters have come back from shots like that and won via KO. Romero had been doing very well, and deserved a chance to continue.

If Romero had put Davis down in the exact same way, and Davis looked exactly the same when he got up, do you think it would have been stopped? Of course not.

But of course, team Mayweather wasn't going to have a ref that would let the opponent have any chance at all.

Same as it ever was.
I wanted Romero to win and im a fan of him now but he couldnt even side step properly for the ref and he didnt complain he was gone, he would have just gone back to the ropes and ate clean punches

I read even walking to the back he was shakey but I didnt see that

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
I think Davis used to right style to beat him but it was boring and he was losing every round, but slowly he was starting to set his feet and set traps, the left hand would have always landed clean with Rolly's wild style and I think because hes so unorthodox he will always walk into big punches with good counter punchers

Still think he could beat Kambosos or Haney they have less power than Davis and reflexes than Davis

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Same as it ever was.
Nah, Romero's legs were completely gone. I wad wanting the fight to continue but he wouldn't have lasted

I thought Davis was going to stop him in under 4 so I was surprised to see him on the back foot. I think this gave a decent blue print on him

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
When I saw Romero arrive at the post-fight interview I was very surprised, I was sure he'd give it a miss so I said "respect" when he sat down, but then he started talking and calling for the rematch and not giving Davis credit for the shot that ended the contest etc and I thought it would have been better if he did swerve it after all. He says he won every round up until the stoppage and that if the ref gave him the opportunity to continue he would have continued although to his credit he didn't take the bait from the questioner and condemn the referee or his decision. For me he was badly knocked out with no chance of continuing, a great shot from Davis to end the contest. I didn't enjoy the Davis performance up until then though but getting the job done is what matters, let's hope he steps it up in his next fight

1 - 10 of 10 Posts