Boxing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Old Style New
4,318 Posts
When? Shortly thereafter... years down the road.

In the short interim, I like Trinidad's chances more, because he has all the improving to do from his original performance and plenty of room for a new strategy, compared to De La Hoya who basically will reproduce his original gameplan. Also, at this point, Trinidad's confidence hasn't been taken from him by Hopkins. A properly motivated and confident fighter is a better fighter.

Down the road, Trinidad is toast. I think, even with the aforementioned elements at play, De La Hoya showed his superiority against Trinidad in the actual fight. He gave it away. With the benefit of that the second go-round, not even the room for change would be enough for him to defeat Oscar. DLH was simply a bad matchup for Trinidad.

· The Bobsledinator
32,790 Posts
Oscar for me simply because it's a styles issue. Lateral movement and jab and some judges to give him the right decision should see him win it IMO.

· Along came a spider
14,188 Posts
Oscar had a bad tendency to lower his hands when he opened up in combination, so it's imperative that he boxes in a controlled manner. Oscar may be faster, but Trinidad's left hook was crisper and more compact when he delivered it. So, I can't see Oscar choosing to stand and trade, except maybe in the early rounds when Trinidad is often slow to get started. Otherwise, I think he could get clocked and drop points when he'll really need them.

However, if Oscar could commit enough in the last four rounds to take a couple of them, he could win this fairly clearly.

· Registered
98 Posts
I give the Trinidad of the Vargas fight over the Oscar of, say, the Yory Boy fight. As it would have sort of lined up in actuality, though, is the Tito of around the Hopkins fight against the Oscar of the Vargas fight, and I think that Oscar kicks his ass much like he did in the first fight.

· 'G' nius
27,315 Posts
Trinidad landed big overhand rights late when Oscar apparently was gassed in the first fight, and Oscar just smiled and shook his head. Oscar would outbox him again. His chin is too underrated.

· Registered
98 Posts
I hold the controversial opinion that had Oscar come out with some serious fire ala Mayorga and Ruelas, he'd have blown Tito away. Hit almost as hard, was faster, more skilled, and infinitely more durable. Oscar could have finished that fight early, but elected to box, and after winning 7 or 8 rounds, elected to run. Awful fight plan, awful corner work.

Still a bad robbery though.

· 'G' nius
27,315 Posts
I hold the controversial opinion that had Oscar come out with some serious fire ala Mayorga and Ruelas, he'd have blown Tito away. Hit almost as hard, was faster, more skilled, and infinitely more durable. Oscar could have finished that fight early, but elected to box, and after winning 7 or 8 rounds, elected to run. Awful fight plan, awful corner work.

Still a bad robbery though.
What was crazy is that Trinidad was being called the better boxer by HBO in the build up.

· Registered
98 Posts
What was crazy is that Trinidad was being called the better boxer by HBO in the build up.
Tito had nothing for Oscar that night. I think he was pretty weight drained as well as being generally inferior in the technical and speed departments. He'd fare better at 154, and I think that Tito is the best Tito there ever was. I think a big reason he was so shaky at 147 was the weight, honestly. Oscar could have walked through him that night.

· 'G' nius
27,315 Posts
Tito had nothing for Oscar that night. I think he was pretty weight drained as well as being generally inferior in the technical and speed departments. He'd fare better at 154, and I think that Tito is the best Tito there ever was. I think a big reason he was so shaky at 147 was the weight, honestly. Oscar could have walked through him that night.
Well its easy to look good at 154 when youre fighting Reid/Thiam

It was Oscar who had to lose the extra weight don't forget.

· Registered
98 Posts
I still think Oscar beats him at 154, but Tito filled out up there undoubtedly better. Weight drain affects different guys differently, and I could read in Tito's body language that he just had nothing. Hard time pulling the trigger, legs didn't look great. Seriously think Oscar could have blown him out with some aggression and risk-taking. At 154, I think it'd have come down to a skills contest and a decision like the first should have been. To this day, I'll never understand why Oscar played it so safe. Tito wasn't sharp, wasn't strong, and was lethargic, and if Oscar was hurting, he wasn't showing it. He had some zip and some energy, not to mention a significant technical edge(The jab and the footwork, at least, which is what was dictating matters all night).

· 'G' nius
27,315 Posts
I still think Oscar beats him at 154, but Tito filled out up there undoubtedly better. Weight drain affects different guys differently, and I could read in Tito's body language that he just had nothing. Hard time pulling the trigger, legs didn't look great. Seriously think Oscar could have blown him out with some aggression and risk-taking. At 154, I think it'd have come down to a skills contest and a decision like the first should have been. To this day, I'll never understand why Oscar played it so safe. Tito wasn't sharp, wasn't strong, and was lethargic, and if Oscar was hurting, he wasn't showing it. He had some zip and some energy, not to mention a significant technical edge(The jab and the footwork, at least, which is what was dictating matters all night).
Trinidad looked so lame because Oscar wouldnt let him set to punch. Trinidad only moved up because there was an easy title waiting in Reid.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.