Boxing Forums banner

Deontay Wilder could return on July 13 in Brooklyn

1K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Batkilt 
#1 ·
Heavyweight prospect Deontay Wilder could potentially be fighting on July 13 in New York City, rather than heading to the United Kingdom to face Dereck Chisora, according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer.

"Deontay is going to be fighting here in the U.S. Deontay had some legal issues he had to deal with, so it's not a good time to travel right now," Schaefer said, a nod toward Wilder's arrest in Las Vegas earlier this month on a domestic violence charge. In addition, the premature announcement of a bout between Wilder and Chisora has been well chronicled on this website.

"I'm certainly not ruling out a Chisora fight. We would be open to that," Schaefer said, before mentioning a pair of other British heavyweights. "We would be open to a Tyson Fury fight. We would be open to a David Price fight."

If Wilder fights on July 13, it would be on the Barclays Center undercard to Bernard Hopkins' bout with light heavyweight Karo Murat.

Wilder, 27, is coming off a first-round stoppage of Audley Harrison last month in the United Kingdom. The win brought his record to 28-0 with 28 knockouts.

David P. Greisman is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America. Follow David on Twitter @fightingwords2 or send questions/comments via email at fightingwords1@gmail.com

Source: http://www.boxingscene.com/wilder-fight-7-13-brooklyn-no-chisora---65662

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
I'm starting to think Wilder is better than most people thought, and I don't say that just because ke KOed poor old Aud.
I don't think many intelligent fans have ever dismissed his talent - it was just dribbling spastics that thought Seth Mitchell was a better talent. You don't win a bronze medal in the Olympics with so little experience without talent. It's his weak competition that led to most dismissing him; he's still throwing wild shots that a half decent heavyweight would counter, thus the theory that GBP are protecting his chin.

I personally think they've been taking it slowly due to his lack of experience in the amateurs. He looks like he lives up to his surname in the ring and I reckon they've been focusing on him improving in the gym first. He's approaching the "now or never" stage though. I'd even be happy with him fighting a solid gatekeeper like Chazz Witherspoon.

#9 ·
I'm starting to think Wilder is better than most people thought, and I don't say that just because ke KOed poor old Aud.
He's not. Wilder has fought no one of any note. In addition he's more raw than a prime Sameul Peter. The guy fights like a caveman and has the most dreadful technique. That being said despite his punching style and lack of technique he can clearly punch. Chisora isn't exactly hard to find in the ring but he'll make an interesting test for Wilder. I'm also interested to see how he reacts to an opponent who has the ability to fight back.

#10 ·
I don't think many intelligent fans have ever dismissed his talent - it was just dribbling spastics that thought Seth Mitchell was a better talent. You don't win a bronze medal in the Olympics with so little experience without talent. It's his weak competition that led to most dismissing him; he's still throwing wild shots that a half decent heavyweight would counter, thus the theory that GBP are protecting his chin.

I personally think they've been taking it slowly due to his lack of experience in the amateurs. He looks like he lives up to his surname in the ring and I reckon they've been focusing on him improving in the gym first. He's approaching the "now or never" stage though. I'd even be happy with him fighting a solid gatekeeper like Chazz Witherspoon.
Lets be honest Olympic medals are virtually meaningless these days.

#11 ·
Wilder is very raw, but every step up he has made (Kelvan Price, not Audley joke) he has shown improvement.
I'd say now he keeps balance way better than he ever did before.
They are going to have to work on him keeping that right hand at home and that chin tucked with he pumps out that jab though, and mainting a tucked chin and left hand at home when he throws his right.

He is improving though, but he needed more help than a lot of others.

#13 ·
Hardly, it at least shows that a fighter has a fair bit of talent.
This. It's no longer the indicator of a successful pro career like it once was, but it still requires some degree of talent. Wilder has raw talent. Not sure where he's training or who is training him, but he's got some skills and some glaring flaws still.

#14 ·
Hardly, it at least shows that a fighter has a fair bit of talent.
If this was 90's and before id agree. But Olympic boxing has no relation to the Pro game anymore.

#20 ·
Wilder was a bit lucky in the Olympics though.....he won two fights and then was soundly defeated by Clemente Russo.....
He still did well considering his lack of experience in the amateur ranks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.