Boxing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AJ gets dropped by Wlad and Ruiz and hurt standing by Usyk, Whyte and Povetkin and hes got a glass jaw. Wilder gets dropped by Fury and Harold Sconiers, and hurt standing by Ortiz, Molina and Washington and hes got an iron chin.

AJ picks himself up off the floor multiple times vs Ruiz, then wins the rematch by near shutout 6 months later and hes a quitter and mentally fragile. Wilder picks himself up off the floor multiple times vs Fury and is never able to adjust in a way that allows him to win after 3 tries and hes mentally tough.

AJ outlands Usyk in 5 rounds and lands a total of 123 punches vs 148 and its a ****ty performance. Wilder outlands Fury in 0 rounds and ultimately lands 72 punches vs 150, and its an incredible performance.

What say you?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Maybe he does but that comes with being the face of HW boxing. AJ's had the world at his feet since 2012. He's been the face of heavyweight boxing for years and what does he have to show for it? While he has every right to be proud of his achievements, it's nothing special. If he retires today he doesn't even go down as a top 3 hw of his era.

His record is weak as fuck.

·
Registered
12,390 Posts
I'm going to borrow a quote from a Brit who responded to a post about the fight between Wilder and Fury I posted on another site.

"They often say the American press likes to "Big-Up" people when they become famous, while the British press likes to knock people down when they become famous".

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I'm going to borrow a quote from a Brit who responded to a post about the fight between Wilder and Fury I posted on another site.

"They often say the American press likes to "Big-Up" people when they become famous, while the British press likes to knock people down when they become famous".
Actually "Build them up and then knock them down" has been a policy under which British press have operated under for decades.

They overhype individuals once they become super famous. Then its time to tear them apart.

I suppose in the internet age...everybody is following this blueprint on forums and social media.

AJ has had extensive media training his P.R. team would have told him this would happen when he first came on the scene.

·
$800 undisputed LHW champ
9,296 Posts
The media is much softer today then it was back in the day, I mean Harry Carpenter once said "The Bruno story is virtually over!" after losing his first pro fight to Bonecrusher Smith (in a fight in which he was winning every round except the final round he was knocked out in). Or even in the mid 2000's when the commentator declared "David Haye's career is in TATTERS!" after getting TKO'd by a 40-year old Carl Thompson.

ASFIK, nobody ever declared Joshua's career in tatters after his first loss. Or even Hatton when he lost to Mayweather

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
The media is much softer today then it was back in the day, I mean Harry Carpenter once said "The Bruno story is virtually over!" after losing his first pro fight to Bonecrusher Smith (in a fight in which he was winning every round except the final round he was knocked out in). Or even in the mid 2000's when the commentator declared "David Haye's career is in TATTERS!" after getting TKO'd by a 40-year old Carl Thompson.

ASFIK, nobody ever declared Joshua's career in tatters after his first loss. Or even Hatton when he lost to Mayweather
Usually the tearing down has little to do with their career. More to do with personal issues or some scandal away from the ring.

The headlines about Bruno after he got sectioned under the mental health act. And his divorce and cocaine addiction. (..Bruno and Harry Carpenter remained close friends Harry was guest of honour at Brunos wedding and Bruno read a tribute at Harrys funeral.)

Hattons sexual affairs and coke addiction his falling out with his parents all got headlines.

With AJ it was his participation in the BLM protests. His failings in the ring against a fat out of shape guy non of the casuals had heard of. And a skinny cruiserweight are just the icing on the cake.

It goes for all sports stars and celebrities in general. Here in the U.K.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
AJ picks himself up off the floor multiple times vs Ruiz, then wins the rematch by near shutout 6 months later and hes a quitter and mentally fragile. Wilder picks himself up off the floor multiple times vs Fury and is never able to adjust in a way that allows him to win after 3 tries and hes mentally tough.
I like AJ and I do think he comes in for unfair/overly harsh criticism. When you take on the best in the division and keep defending against mandatories, it's not unreasonable to take a loss, every night can't be a good night. He never makes excuses like Wilder or refuses to shake the victor's hand so I respect him more.

But let's be clear here, on June 1st 2019 he quit against Ruiz Jr. Wilder fired his trainer for withdrawing him from his title defence and has never quit. Both men have plenty of heart though, Joshua showed it against Klitschko, Wilder against Fury at the weekend.

·
delivering the truth
622 Posts
AJ gets dropped by Wlad and Ruiz and hurt standing by Usyk, Whyte and Povetkin and hes got a glass jaw. Wilder gets dropped by Fury and Harold Sconiers, and hurt standing by Ortiz, Molina and Washington and hes got an iron chin.

AJ outlands Usyk in 5 rounds and lands a total of 123 punches vs 148 and its a ****ty performance. Wilder outlands Fury in 0 rounds and ultimately lands 72 punches vs 150, and its an incredible performance.

What say you?
AJ quit in the first Ruiz fight. How many times has Wilder quit?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Compubox?

LMAO .......
Compubox is as accurate as you are going to get hence while it's still used at every major fight. Is it perfect? No but its fairly accurate. If me and you were to both watch the fight in slow motion I'm sure our punch stats would vary. Short of putting sensors on their bodies and gloves there's not really a more accurate way of measuring.

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
Compubox is as accurate as you are going to get hence while it's still used at every major fight. Is it perfect? No but its fairly accurate. If me and you were to both watch the fight in slow motion I'm sure our punch stats would vary. Short of putting sensors on their bodies and gloves there's not really a more accurate way of measuring.
Stop it.

Compubox is two guys typing keys into laptops.

Seriously

And those guys clearly don't understand what a head slip is, so they constantly count punches that didn't actually land. (Or just barely touched but had no impact.) In some fights, it's hilariously bad.

The reason it's used in every fight (along with "Punch Stats", etc) is because it's a way for the people in control to convince you that what you just saw with your own eyes didn't actually happen.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stop it.

Compubox is two guys typing keys into laptops.

Seriously

And those guys clearly don't understand what a head slip is, so they constantly count punches that didn't actually land. (Or just barely touched but had no impact.) In some fights, it's hilariously bad.

The reason it's used in every fight (along with "Punch Stats", etc) is because it's a way for the people in control to convince you that what you just saw with your own eyes didn't actually happen.
Ohh conspiratorial. Compubox bought and paid for I see.

·
delivering the truth
622 Posts
I realize your talents start and end with being a troll so I'll help you out here.

There is a lot more to scoring boxing matches than just counting how many punches are thrown and landed.

If it was just a matter of counting the punches the ringside judges would be provided with hand held counters that they clicked each time a punch was landed or they would have an assistant who did it for them.

Before you further embarrass yourself go and read up on the rules and in particular how to score a fight.

·
It's earl-ception up in this bish
2 Posts
I realize your talents start and end with being a troll so I'll help you out here.

There is a lot more to scoring boxing matches than just counting how many punches are thrown and landed.

If it was just a matter of counting the punches the ringside judges would be provided with hand held counters that they clicked each time a punch was landed or they would have an assistant who did it for them.

Before you further embarrass yourself go and read up on the rules and in particular how to score a fight.
Hey Dummy, read the post again, he clearly said outlanded, not won rounds. I know you never finished 4th grade, so how about you read the posts a few times over before you make an ass of yourself, OK sweetie.

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
Short of putting sensors on their bodies and gloves there's not really a more accurate way of measuring.
It should also be noted that the technology for puttung sensors in gloves, in a way that doesn't interfere with the punch, has existed for quite a few years. One governong body (or maybe it was a network) even considered implementing this. Then the idea disappered.

Why? Probably because it would be too accurate, and it would then call into question all the BS scorecards instead of giving them more credibility,
and OMG we can't have THAT !

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Maybe he does but that comes with being the face of HW boxing. AJ's had the world at his feet since 2012. He's been the face of heavyweight boxing for years and what does he have to show for it? While he has every right to be proud of his achievements, it's nothing special. If he retires today he doesn't even go down as a top 3 hw of his era.

His record is weak as fuck.
AJ was overrated by most, I didn't think he was the best, so I feel I see things fairly accurately

To say his record is weak as fuck is simply not accurate

He's had 24 fights

Whyte
Martin
Parker
Breazeale
Takam
Wladimir
Ruiz x 2 (L, W)
Usyk (L) soon to be x2
Povetkin
Pulev

Theres not been many heavyweights ever with that many good fighters on their record

Wilder has fought after 45 fights

Breazeale
Stivirne x2
Ortiz x2
Fury x3

Fury has fought after 32? Fights

Cunningham
Chisora x 2
Wladimir
Wallin
Wilder x 3

·
Registered
13,226 Posts
AJ was overrated by most, I didn't think he was the best, so I feel I see things fairly accurately

To say his record is weak as fuck is simply not accurate

He's had 24 fights .................
Not weak, but far from impressive:

Martin - Don't make me laugh
Parker - Stop it, yer killing me.....
Breazeale - A decent fighter who totally laid down in that fight. Possibly paid off.
Takam - Feh.
Wladimir - A good win and he showed massive guts, but we all know Wlad was well past it at that point.
Pulev - He's just a tough, B+ level fighter with a decent resume. Plus he was way past it at 39 years old.

Ruiz x 2 (L, W)
Usyk (L) soon to be x2
Povetkin - A good win, but Povetkin was 40 years old at the time.

So AJ had a total of four fairly-credible fights, and lost two of them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts