Boxing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been intrigued about Rolex watches for a long time. I wouldn't mind a stainless steel submariner hulk, but it's about £18k unworn. The price will probably go up as it's recently been discontinued, but it is expensive. For now I'll probably save up so I can afford it in 5 years time when it's gone up another couple grand haha. Anyway, just wondered if any of you own a Rolex, have owned one, or maybe want one.

·
CHB World Championship People's Champion
45,343 Posts
I know fuck all about watches, but if I was going to spend real money on a watch, I'd be more inclined to look at Omega or Patek Philippe.

:hat

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know fuck all about watches, but if I was going to spend real money on a watch, I'd be more inclined to look at Omega or Patel Philippe.

Neither do I to be honest. I just like the aesthetics of certain watches. I think some watches are better investments than a car though. The rolexes generally don't lose value, especially the submariners. This is from what I've heard and read.

I like these for their aesthetics, but the cost of some of these watches are the same price as a medium sized family home.

·
45,343 Posts
Neither do I to be honest. I just like the aesthetics of certain watches. I think some watches are better investments than a car though. The rolexes generally don't lose value, especially the submariners. This is from what I've heard and read.

I like these for their aesthetics, but the cost of some of these watches are the same price as a medium sized family home.

Yeah I like the aesthetics and the build quality too, but I tend to prefer dress watches to sports or dive watches.

Reactions: It's Too Big

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. I've no interest. I've got a Hugo Boss watch that was about £150. That's as expensive as I'll ever get for watches.
Haha. I can understand that. I have never been rabidly interested in rolexes in the past, but only the last few years I've enjoyed learning about them. There are definitely some lovely pieces, but the cost puts me off. I guess it's just being able to say you own a Rolex.

·
Free and fair elections 2024
11,769 Posts
Haha. I can understand that. I have never been rabidly interested in rolexes in the past, but only the last few years I've enjoyed learning about them. There are definitely some lovely pieces, but the cost puts me off. I guess it's just being able to say you own a Rolex.
£18k is the entry point?
Surly someone must have a battered crap one for about £1k
Learn your craft n fix it up

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
£18k is the entry point?
Surly someone must have a battered crap one for about £1k
Learn your craft n fix it up
No, there are cheaper ones. Used rolexes are quite popular and even appreciate in value depending on the type of Rolex. I think a used stainless steel submariner costs about £10k or thereabouts. Not a bad price, but again, it's not particularly low cost.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It's interesting, the Rolex purchasing.

See a Rolex you like and have £18k ready? You'd think it was easy.

No. Go into a Rolex dealership and ask for any of the interesting ones are they are unavailable. You have to get on a waiting list, but you need to prove to the dealer you aren't a timewaster, so the general advice is to but a few in store models first.

The entry level is now £5500. That Rolex green and gold Daytona is about £50k, and yeah, the advice would be to build up a rapport with your dealer, drop £10-£15k on watches you don't want in the hope that he'll source you one!

Crazy!

These people are buying their dealers Christmas gifts etc.

·
45,343 Posts
It's interesting, the Rolex purchasing.

See a Rolex you like and have £18k ready? You'd think it was easy.

No. Go into a Rolex dealership and ask for any of the interesting ones are they are unavailable. You have to get on a waiting list, but you need to prove to the dealer you aren't a timewaster, so the general advice is to but a few in store models first.

The entry level is now £5500. That Rolex green and gold Daytona is about £50k, and yeah, the advice would be to build up a rapport with your dealer, drop £10-£15k on watches you don't want in the hope that he'll source you one!

Crazy!

These people are buying their dealers Christmas gifts etc.
Yep.

The green Patek Philippe second from top in my post? That's a Nautilus. You want a new one, with a standard blue dial? That'll be $US30k, and the wait list is a decade long. Okay, maybe it's better to buy one on the secondary market. That'll be about $US85k. Actually they discontinued the model a couple of years ago, so the price on the secondary market instantly went to $US100k.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
I no longer wear a watch and actually don't even have one any more. I have been through many cheaper watches over the years with Timex being my go to watch when I was working construction and on the Fire Department---------cheap and long lasting brand of watches, and when they broke, I wasn't too chuffed about it.

I did have a couple watches over the years in the $150-200 range in the Seiko brand and usually only wore them when heading out and not getting involved in any work. At one time I also had a pocket watch with the fob but it didn't hold up well when in my pocket and putting out fires for a living. That was my shortest lived watch ever. The last watch I got was a gift from my wife about 10 years ago and I told her to return it and get her money back for it. It was pretty damn hideous with a huge dial that I found flat ugly. It looked like I had a mini-clock on my wrist when she asked me to try it on. No way I'd wear that thing.

Personally, I'd never buy a Rolex or other high end watch. That's just not my style to spend that much money on a timepiece.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I have been intrigued about Rolex watches for a long time. I wouldn't mind a stainless steel submariner hulk, but it's about £18k unworn. The price will probably go up as it's recently been discontinued, but it is expensive. For now I'll probably save up so I can afford it in 5 years time when it's gone up another couple grand haha. Anyway, just wondered if any of you own a Rolex, have owned one, or maybe want one.
I own a Rolex. I have a 18kt Datejust with a black dial.

I actually have quite a few luxury watches.

Are you hellbent on getting a Rolex or would you consider other Luxury watches like a Tudor or an Omega? Omegas are close to the Quality of a Rolex and about half the price, Tudors are made by Rolex and also about half the price. The name "Rolex" alone is basically going to double the price of your watch.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
No, there are cheaper ones. Used rolexes are quite popular and even appreciate in value depending on the type of Rolex. I think a used stainless steel submariner costs about £10k or thereabouts. Not a bad price, but again, it's not particularly low cost.
Cheapest Rolex you will find will most likely be an older 60's or 70's datejust...Will run you about 4k minimum and it will be pretty beat up too.

Here are a few of my Watches. The two Omega Seamasters up top...The Black one is about $4400 and the Blue one is about $3500. The two on the bottom, one is a 18kt Gold Tudor black bay which is $4200 and the one next to it is a late 80's Rolex Datejust 18kt gold which is valued at about $6500. The blue Omega was the model worn by Pierce Brosnan as James Bond in Golden Eye and the Rolex was the Model worn by William Forsythe as Sammy Gravano in Gotti.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Here, if anyone is serious about getting a nice watch...Here is my go to dealer, it's a company based in Atlanta. The watches are mostly used but in absolute excellent condition, I can absolutely vouch for this company no question. You can find Datejusts in the 5K mark and Submariners in the 8-10k mark. They have tons of Omegas as well... You can find excellent quality Speedmasters for as low as $2400 and Even Seamasters not too much higher. Breitlings, Cartiers, Tudors...they got it all. No waiting list, no bullshit....you get papers of authenticity too.

Men & Women Watches Online | SwissWatchExpo

·
Registered
6,905 Posts

Fuck me that top one is ugly as sin.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts