Boxing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Neither do I to be honest. I just like the aesthetics of certain watches. I think some watches are better investments than a car though. The rolexes generally don't lose value, especially the submariners. This is from what I've heard and read.

I like these for their aesthetics, but the cost of some of these watches are the same price as a medium sized family home.

These are daytonas not submariners

But it is true rolex don't lose value, but I would advise against buying a watch as an investment, if you do, you won't enjoy the watch, it'll be like buying a car and only driving few times a year.

Rolex will go up in price if it remains in top notch condition, in the short form anyway.

I've not owned rolexs but I've had friends who have and I have seen a number in person, the finishing is good but not great, those watches arr bullet proof, but remember rolexs were designed originally to be tool watches, not a luxury brand, if you buy one make sure you really want it and you'll wear it

It'll be very difficult to get hold of one, hence the price increase vs rrp

Definitely see it in person and wear it before buying it, see if you like the case size, lug to lug on your wrist, see if you like the weight.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
Why on earth would you drop 150 on a fashion watch

You could get a good seiko or orient for that

God I despise fashion watches, absolute junk
Present from the Mrs one Christmas.

I'm not a big watch guy, and I would never wear a metallic one, too attention grabbing for my tastes.

I had an everyday watch with a fabric strap and wooden face, that I bought from a market, and an £80 fossil watch with a brown strap. I like both, but they don't suit every occasion or outfit.

So I had talked about getting one with a black strap that would fill the gap in my wardrobe. Basically any time I was wearing smart, dark clothes.

So, the Mrs bought me a boss one. I like it. It looks nice and it's understated. It doesn't draw attention away from my outfit, or more importantly, my beautiful, beautiful face.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Present from the Mrs one Christmas.

I'm not a big watch guy, and I would never wear a metallic one, too attention grabbing for my tastes.

I had an everyday watch with a fabric strap and wooden face, that I bought from a market, and an £80 fossil watch with a brown strap. I like both, but they don't suit every occasion or outfit.

So I had talked about getting one with a black strap that would fill the gap in my wardrobe. Basically any time I was wearing smart, dark clothes.

So, the Mrs bought me a boss one. I like it. It looks nice and it's understated. It doesn't draw attention away from my outfit, or more importantly, my beautiful, beautiful face.
A wooden face one too, cmon man, you're killing me.

Fossil whilst better, they actually make a lot of the over priced fashion watches

Give me a style of watch you want and budget I'll suggest a proper watch

There are great subtle watches out there, they don't need to be stainless steel straps.

If you like it, you like it, but I just hate the idea people spend 5 times more than they should on them

·
CHB World Championship People's Champion
45,343 Posts

Fossil whilst better, they actually make a lot of the over priced fashion watches

There are great subtle watches out there, they don't need to be stainless steel straps.

If you like it, you like it, but I just hate the idea people spend 5 times more than they should on them
I might take you up on that, at some point. Want a watch to wear to my wedding, but plenty of time yet.

:hat

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
very overpriced, prob look good with an armani tshirt tho.

i guess at one point they made better watches, but these days motorola or apple tell the time best.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts

Depends what you like and care about.

Of all the things I wear, a watch would be the one I'm least bothered about. It just has to tell the time, look OK, and not steal focus.

I don't need great feats of engineering or expensive materials. Some folk like that, more power to them, its just not my thing.

As for the wooden one. It actually looks pretty cool and gets a lot of compliments. It's from a market in London, and it's a hipster looking watch. It's not traditional looking, which I agree would be awful.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Depends what you like and care about.

Of all the things I wear, a watch would be the one I'm least bothered about. It just has to tell the time, look OK, and not steal focus.

I don't need great feats of engineering or expensive materials. Some folk like that, more power to them, its just not my thing.

As for the wooden one. It actually looks pretty cool and gets a lot of compliments. It's from a market in London, and it's a hipster looking watch. It's not traditional looking, which I agree would be awful.
That's not what bothers me, what bothers me is the pricing of these fashion watches, it's far too overpriced for What they are.

For the same price you could get a watch that looks as good, much higher quality and finishing.

That goes beyond watches personally for me, I don't like things when they are blatantly overpriced, when there are genuine better alternatives.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
That's not what bothers me, what bothers me is the pricing of these fashion watches, it's far too overpriced for What they are.

For the same price you could get a watch that looks as good, much higher quality and finishing.

That goes beyond watches personally for me, I don't like things when they are blatantly overpriced, when there are genuine better alternatives.
That's fashion though, you pay for branding and appearance.

Maybe the engineering or whatever isn't as good, but if you only care about the appearance and the basic function then it doesn't matter.

Same with cars and stuff. If people only bought them based on engineering then most would go out of business. They don't, they purchase based on taste, fashion, and branding for the most part.

Like the subject of this thread. Rolex's are not worth what they cost, other than we have decided that they are because of fashion, status, etc.

Now, if you are into watches, cars, or whatever, then you might look more deeply into the manufacturing, but for someone like me, putting out £250 total on 3 watches I think look nice, and that work fine, that's more than enough for the cost.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Like the subject of this thread. Rolex's are not worth what they cost, other than we have decided that they are because of fashion, status, etc.
To a degree yes, although their movements are hand made, usually with 21 or more Sapphires that can grind against each other for a lifetime without wearing down. They use the highest quality anti-reflective glass, so it looks like you're looking straight at the fingers without seeing any glass or glare from the sun. The lume is quality and lasts for hours, charged by natural light. They use 904l steel which is anti-corrosion and can be polished to a much higher level.

A Hugo Boss or Armani watch is literally a 90p Quartz battery movement, mass produced to an off the shelf design, using cheap material with their logo stamped on.

Anyone who pays £200 for something that looks utter shit and oozes tackiness with an Armani logo on has been ripped off more than someone who buys a Rolex.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
That's fashion though, you pay for branding and appearance.

Maybe the engineering or whatever isn't as good, but if you only care about the appearance and the basic function then it doesn't matter.

Same with cars and stuff. If people only bought them based on engineering then most would go out of business. They don't, they purchase based on taste, fashion, and branding for the most part.

Now, if you are into watches, cars, or whatever, then you might look more deeply into the manufacturing, but for someone like me, putting out £250 total on 3 watches I think look nice, and that work fine, that's more than enough for the cost.
Rolexs are overpriced on what you can buy them for, they're not overpriced on rrp - I wouldn't attribute to that being Rolexs fault

The think is you can have 3 genuine watch manufacturers watches for 250 that look nice, work more than fine and will be of vastly better quality than a fashion watch.

I think a lot do buy watches and cars on engineering quality not the brand

Hell no one has ever bought a skoda on brand value

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
No interest, not worn a watch in adult years, nor as a teenager.

My mother bought me a semi decent watch for my 18th or 21st, cant remember which. No idea why, it's sat in a cupboard for over a decade.

Never been into jewellery or fashion accessories and the practical value is low.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts