Boxing Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
To a degree yes, although their movements are hand made, usually with 21 or more Sapphires that can grind against each other for a lifetime without wearing down. They use the highest quality anti-reflective glass, so it looks like you're looking straight at the fingers without seeing any glass or glare from the sun. The lume is quality and lasts for hours, charged by natural light. They use 904l steel which is anti-corrosion and can be polished to a much higher level.

A Hugo Boss or Armani watch is literally a 90p Quartz battery movement, mass produced to an off the shelf design, using cheap material with their logo stamped on.

Anyone who pays £200 for something that looks utter shit and oozes tackiness with an Armani logo on has been ripped off more than someone who buys a Rolex.
That's all fine if any of that is important to you, but it's not to me, or to most people.

But, we all have things we are willing to spend more on to get better quality, and things we aren't, it just depends on where your interests lie.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
Rolexs are overpriced on what you can buy them for, they're not overpriced on rrp - I wouldn't attribute to that being Rolexs fault

The think is you can have 3 genuine watch manufacturers watches for 250 that look nice, work more than fine and will be of vastly better quality than a fashion watch.

I think a lot do buy watches and cars on engineering quality not the brand

Hell no one has ever bought a skoda on brand value
I would be surprised if the profit margins are much different.

Rolex is about 30% from manufacturer to store and 40% store to customer apparently.

Suppose my Hugo Boss watch could be more, but it's just £150 to wear to the occasional meeting or night out. So even if it's a greater markup, it's not that big a deal. To me.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I would be surprised if the profit margins are much different.

Rolex is about 30% from manufacturer to store and 40% store to customer apparently.

Suppose my Hugo Boss watch could be more, but it's just £150 to wear to the occasional meeting or night out. So even if it's a greater markup, it's not that big a deal. To me.
No need to compare Hugo Boss to rolex, because price difference is so much, obviously rolex would be better, that's not a fair comparison, compare your Hugo boss to a seiko, citizen, orient or even a Casio, that's where you would see the gulf in class

Fashion watches spend most of their cost on the strap (which are easily swapped out anyway) and next to nothing on the movement.

·
The World's Great Lover
34,041 Posts
Grand Seiko for me.

Also know nothing about watch culture.
Those are great watches
Rolex are in a heavy bubble, i wouldnt recommend buying one until it settles back down.

If you like the style, look at the numerous homages.

Steinhart makes solid homages and therr are plenty of micro brnads that can get you the look.

That said if you want a rolex in everything but name, even from the same company, look at tudor.

Reactions: aliwasthegreatest

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
My old coworker was really into watches. From what I've seen, no one outside of a watch enthusiast will give a fuck about your watch and if you're not knowledgeable on watches, then it'll be difficult for you to appreciate a rolex.

·
Camden born and bred
402 Posts
I just smile and nod when someone starts making a big thing about their watch. Could not possibly be less interested. A cheap watch that looks okay and can keep time is fine by me.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I just smile and nod when someone starts making a big thing about their watch. Could not possibly be less interested. A cheap watch that looks okay and can keep time is fine by me.
Most real watch people wouldn't care, because good watches are something personal, most watch people don't start bragging about watches either

·
Camden born and bred
402 Posts
Most real watch people wouldn't care, because good watches are something personal, most watch people don't start bragging about watches either
I work with a guy full on into watches. So much so that we all get watch related junk mail because we share a group email system. He will talk watches with anyone willing to listen and tell you all about his watch and any other, including prices.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I work with a guy full on into watches. So much so that we all get watch related junk mail because we share a group email system. He will talk watches with anyone willing to listen and tell you all about his watch and any other, including prices.
I tried to get into them, but just can't seem to do it. The entire purpose of expensive shit is for other people acknowledgment, if we're being completely honest. The thing with watches, no one really gives a shit.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I tried to get into them, but just can't seem to do it. The entire purpose of expensive shit is for other people acknowledgment, if we're being completely honest. The thing with watches, no one really gives a shit.
I hardly buy anything for other people's acknowledgement, I wouldn't like to think I'm the one who's odd one out.

I would care what other watch people thought, but not because of price. A cheap watch can be a great watch.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Like I said most, it is odd that he goes on about price, talking about other aspects of a watch is not necessarily bragging though

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Part of the guy in question's facination for watches is their price but he certainly talks features before price.
The thing is a lot of watches are over priced when talking about actual quality of movement and finish and others far exceed their cost

Orient is a great brand for anyone who wants a great watch under 250, could easily be worth twice as much some of their watches

·
The World's Great Lover
34,041 Posts
From my understanding, if you're truly into watches and their movements and not about showing it off. Grand Seiko
Not really.
You can be into watches and movements and love quartz, eapecially something like the citizen and their the citizen quartz movement that only has +- 5 seconds for the year.

Grand seiko is nice but, seiko has a.lot of dick riders, its become the brand that all the in the know people and posers bring up.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts