Boxing Forums banner

Does anybody not rate Tyson Fury #1 in the world?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Camden born and bred
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think his resume is better than Fury and Wilder.
It arguably was. But Joshua's recent record is 2 wins and 2 losses and that kind of form does not make you number 1 in the world. Even his most ardent supporters have either Fury, Usyk or both ahead of Joshua.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I think his resume is better than Fury and Wilder.
Me too if by that you mean the depth and quality of it. But the results can't just be swept to one side, he quit on his US debut and then lost again last time out. Tyson Fury is the only active heavyweight to have held all the major titles, he took the belts off one man who had 24 or 25 successive title defences and another man who had 10 successive defences and he went to their country to do it.

Joshua took his off a man making his first defence of a vacant title which he won by retirement/default, he picked up a vacant title himself next and then took the last one off Parker who'd had 2 or 3 defences at the time and all of those fights were on Joshua's home turf.

No case can be made for Joshua being above Fury at this time

·
Camden born and bred
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Just to reinforce my point. Even AJ's own manager Eddie Hearn doesn't have him number 1.

Hearn has AJ at 3.

I can accept his 2-10 being different to mine, the Ring's, ESPN etc but claiming that he can't decide who is no.1 isn't very convincing at all. He knows who's top dog he just doesn't want to say it but he knows, how does 1 win over Joshua and 0 defences surpass 1 win over Klitcshko and 2 over Wilder and 1 successful defence?

Don't answer, we know Hearn's just playing silly buggars now

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,388 Posts
I can accept his 2-10 being different to mine, the Ring's, ESPN etc but claiming that he can't decide who is no.1 isn't very convincing at all. He knows who's top dog he just doesn't want to say it but he knows, how does 1 win over Joshua and 0 defences surpass 1 win over Klitcshko and 2 over Wilder and 1 successful defence?

Don't answer, we know Hearn's just playing silly buggars now
No it makes perfect sense, Uysk's performance in the AJ fight was extremely good against whatever your opinion one of the top 3 HW for the last 5 years. Only your sycophantical support of Fury makes it unquestionable.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
No it makes perfect sense, Uysk's performance in the AJ fight was extremely good
So a good or "extremely good" performance means he's no 1 in the world? What a joke if it you put your personal feelings for fighter's you've never met to one side and look at things objectively you might be able to see the wood for the trees, I don't care who has the more amenable personality, when the question is who's the best in the world only facts matter

·
1,388 Posts
So a good or "extremely good" performance means he's no 1 in the world? What a joke if it you put your personal feelings for fighter's you've never met to one side and look at things objectively you might be able to see the wood for the trees, I don't care who has the more amenable personality, when the question is who's the best in the world only facts matter

Usyk number 1? Who has he beaten at heavyweight?
When that performance is against a 2 time unified champion, yeh it is. You're argument for Fury is no better, all he has done is beat the same very limited fighter over and over.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Usyk was a great cruiserweight but at heavyweight he has had what, three fights and only has one significant win. How that can possibly place him ahead of the undefeated 31-0-1 career heavyweight Tyson Fury only a Fury hater would comprehend.

But you are a Tyson Fury hater @Ar558a. One need look no further than just below your avatar to see that.

Haters gotta hate.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Re
When that performance is against a 2 time unified champion, yeh it is. You're argument for Fury is no better, all he has done is beat the same very limited fighter over and over.
No re-read my post the first one you quoted at #27 where you said I displayed "sycophantical support of Fury", that message I posted made the case for Fury being above Usyk, I mentioned the Klitschko win and I mentioned the fact he went abroad and fought the champion, 4 times in total now whereas Joshua quit on his US debut, that's the only reason he's a 2 time unified champion.

I don't point it out because I hate Joshua, I neither love him or hate him but as I said, the facts are the facts. If Joshua beats Fury I'll update my rankings accordingly no doubt, I don't care who's number 1, they're both Brits I have no bias but you often say that people attack you for saying positive things about AJ yet that's what you did to me for rating Fury as #1 and I've never attacked you once, it's only boxing talk and a difference of opinion that's all (to me anyway)

·
just loving boxing
115 Posts
Re

No re-read my post the first one you quoted at #27 where you said I displayed "sycophantical support of Fury", that message I posted made the case for Fury being above Usyk, I mentioned the Klitschko win and I mentioned the fact he went abroad and fought the champion, 4 times in total now whereas Joshua quit on his US debut, that's the only reason he's a 2 time unified champion.

I don't point it out because I hate Joshua, I neither love him or hate him but as I said, the facts are the facts. If Joshua beats Fury I'll update my rankings accordingly no doubt, I don't care who's number 1, they're both Brits I have no bias but you often say that people attack you for saying positive things about AJ yet that's what you did to me for rating Fury as #1 and I've never attacked you once, it's only boxing talk and a difference of opinion that's all (to me anyway)
Good post. Some people take boxing forums way too seriously.

·
1,388 Posts
Re

Fury fans put so much stock in the WK win, which looks good on paper I'll admit but the fight itself was hardly a fight (they do have to actually punch for it to count as one) against a clearly unmotivated WK. Compared to AJ's win where WK was so up for it, it pales in comparison. 4 Times? I presume you're counting is off as WK + Wilder I and II only makes 3 times. But again raw numbers here don't tell the story, Fury's "Champion" fights were Unmotivated WK and twice against limited Wilder. AJ's resume is stronger even with the losses.

I'm not sorry for standing up to Fury and the people who support him, he is a vile individual and if he and praise of him is allowed to go unchallenged then more people might be sucked into believing that his vile beliefs and unprofessional attitude are acceptable. They aren't and I won't stop till he is gone.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
Fury fans put so much stock in the WK win, which looks good on paper I'll admit but the fight itself was hardly a fight (they do have to actually punch for it to count as one) against a clearly unmotivated WK. Compared to AJ's win where WK was so up for it, it pales in comparison.
Neither win was against a prime Wlad, though both wins still have merit, but Fury's win was actually more impressive:

Wlad wasn't "unmotivated," he was frustrated and shut down by Fury's incredible defensive movement.

• And then Wlad didn't fight for another year and a half, before facing AJ, so AJ fought not just an even older Wlad, but a ring-rusty Wlad.
  • And additionally, AJ almost got KTFO.

·
1,388 Posts
Neither win was against a prime Wlad, though both wins still have merit, but Fury's win was actually more impressive:

Wlad wasn't "unmotivated," he was frustrated and shut down by Fury's incredible defensive movement.

• And then Wlad didn't fight for another year and a half, before facing AJ, so AJ fought not just an even older Wlad, but a ring-rusty Wlad.
  • And additionally, AJ almost got KTFO.
Well unmotivated maybe slightly the wrong word, complacent after so many perfunctory defenses is probably better. I don't think the layoff makes that much difference given he had regaining the World title as fire in his belly, which is why he was so clearly enthusiastic and prepared. AJ may have been wobbled, but he KO'd Wlad and Fury wouldn't have ever managed that for all the tea in christendom.

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
^ Yeah that's also possible.

Like I said, both were credible wins, I just don't see AJ's performance as better. - except that he got to prove he had a great chin (and heart) which we hadn't known before then.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Fury fans put so much stock in the WK win, which looks good on paper I'll admit but the fight itself was hardly a fight (they do have to actually punch for it to count as one) against a clearly unmotivated WK. Compared to AJ's win where WK was so up for it, it pales in comparison. 4 Times? I presume you're counting is off as WK + Wilder I and II only makes 3 times. But again raw numbers here don't tell the story, Fury's "Champion" fights were Unmotivated WK and twice against limited Wilder. AJ's resume is stronger even with the losses.

I'm not sorry for standing up to Fury and the people who support him, he is a vile individual and if he and praise of him is allowed to go unchallenged then more people might be sucked into believing that his vile beliefs and unprofessional attitude are acceptable. They aren't and I won't stop till he is gone.
Sorry totally missed this at the time and then forgot all about it, no it was 4 times, he fought Klitschko once and Wilder 3 times.

But I actually agree that the Klitschko that turned up for Joshua was more dangerous than the one that showed up for Fury, but Fury was the difference though, AJ was all humble and respectful in the build up and this gave Klitschko the confidence to fight how he did but Fury conversely was telling Klitschko he's getting knocked out and he looked like someone who didn't consider that he might lose to Klitschko, I think Fury won the contest before the first bell, outlasted him in the sauna too a few years before the fight was announced so Klitschko was more worried about Fury than Joshua.

Still expected Klitschko to regain his championship in the rematch though had it gone ahead, I would have put money on Klitschko reversing the decision at that time despite his poor showing first time around.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts