Boxing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

If he has not sullied his reputation enough in the last few months.

He is now trying to prevent Usyk vs Fury to take place for all the belts. By lobbying the IBF to enforce Hrgovic as the mandatory.

Reactions: Philly Shell

·
Super Moderator
13,476 Posts
Well, as much as I despise the smiling devil that is Fast Eddie -

One COULD argue that Hearn is simply asking them to follow the rules. (And supporting his own fighter at the same time.)

Except of course that Hrgovic actually lost to Zhang, and the entire world knows it.

---------------------

But take heart, all ye of pugilistic persuasions: If Hearn pulls this off, that could mean Usyk vs Wilder in the spring, with the fight-for-it-all in the summer !

That's not a bad scenario at all.

·
Super Moderator
13,476 Posts
And maybe, in the meantime, we could see some important second-tier fights.

How about Sanchez vs Wallin, for starters?
And Anderson vs anyone in the top-ten. (Ruiz comes quickly to mind.)

And for fukssake, someone get Delboy to retire, already.

2023 could be a very good year for the HW division.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect if Hearn is successful. Usyk will simply vacate the IBF title. Carry on with a scheduled fight vs Fury.

·
The World's Great Lover
34,316 Posts
I htought Usyk was trying to fight Deontay?

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reactions: Sweethome_Bama

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
I just wonder who the fuck does he think he is to call the shots across the board in boxing. This guy's got more ego than Don King and Bob Arum combined.

Fury and Usyk are belt holders, and if they want to meet up for a unification fight, that should be their prerogative, not some person outside their camp. Someone who sabotaged a very lucrative bout between AJ, who he represents and Tyson Fury that would have made millions for both fighters and one the fans would like to see.

·
The World's Great Lover
34,316 Posts
I just wonder who the fuck does he think he is to call the shots across the board in boxing. This guy's got more ego than Don King and Bob Arum combined.

Fury and Usyk are belt holders, and if they want to meet up for a unification fight, that should be their prerogative, not some person outside their camp. Someone who sabotaged a very lucrative bout between AJ, who he represents and Tyson Fury that would have made millions for both fighters and one the fans would like to see.
Teah I thought Fury was going to fight AJ and Usyk fight Wilder, what happened to the Fury AJ fight?
Why did Hearn kill it?

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
Teah I thought Fury was going to fight AJ and Usyk fight Wilder, what happened to the Fury AJ fight?
Why did Hearn kill it?

Hell if I know why Hearn killed it-------other than the fact he probably knows AJ would have gotten his ass handed to him and further knock down his purse potential in future fights.

I mean Fury offered a more than fair purse split of 60/40 in Fury's favor and considering AJ was coming off 2 straight losses, that is about as good as it could get for him at that time. From what I remember, Hearn was not in favor of a December fight like Fury was demanding in the negotiations. Again, I didn't think that was unreasonable since AJ had come off a recent UD loss to Usyk and Fury hadn't fought for many more months prior to the offer being made.

Fury needed the training camp way more than AJ at that point in time..

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
What's the problem?

Fury is fighting next month so Usyk can get one in too and then meet in April for the showdown.

Bear with me it's 03:30 here but if I remember rightly AJ's fight against Pulev was the last time the IBF title was defended against a mandatory challenger, so now it's time. Add to that the fact Hrgovic has been waiting forever to get his final eliminator because everyone kept ducking him, they went from the 2nd placed fighter down the list until they got to Zhang in 13th before they could match him.

Hearn's job is to look out for the best interests of his fighters, it would be a dereliction of duty if he didn't try to get his fighter a title shot (or some step aside cash) asap.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's the problem?

Fury is fighting next month so Usyk can get one in too and then meet in April for the showdown.

Bear with me it's 03:30 here but if I remember rightly AJ's fight against Pulev was the last time the IBF title was defended against a mandatory challenger, so now it's time. Add to that the fact Hrgovic has been waiting forever to get his final eliminator because everyone kept ducking him, they went from the 2nd placed fighter down the list until they got to Zhang in 13th before they could match him.

Hearn's job is to look out for the best interests of his fighters, it would be a dereliction of duty if he didn't try to get his fighter a title shot (or some step aside cash) asap.

Problem is we need an undisputed champions enough of this alphabet nonsense which is killing the sport.

If Fury vs Usyk does not happen for undisputed in February I doubt it will happen afters.

As for Hearn looking out for I highly doubt it until this week he had never mentioned this fight for Hrgovic. He is looking out for AJ hoping to get him an easier fight for the vacant title. He has stated he is not interested in step aside for Hrgovic. I am all for Hrgovic being compensated for stepping aside and the winner of Fury vs Usyk being mandated to defend against Hrgovic.

But I am against the fragmentation of titles ending up exactly were we started.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Problem is we need an undisputed champions enough of this alphabet nonsense which is killing the sport.

If Fury vs Usyk does not happen for undisputed in February I doubt it will happen afters.

As for Hearn looking out for I highly doubt it until this week he had never mentioned this fight for Hrgovic. He is looking out for AJ hoping to get him an easier fight for the vacant title. He has stated he is not interested in step aside for Hrgovic. I am all for Hrgovic being compensated for stepping aside and the winner of Fury vs Usyk being mandated to defend against Hrgovic.

But I am against the fragmentation of titles ending up exactly were we started.
My recollection is that Usyk said he wouldn't be ready to fight Fury until 2023 as he needed to rest and recover owing to previous injuries that hadn't had time to heal properly. So then Fury turned to Joshua and said let's fight. Team Joshua didn't want it so Fury moved to Chisora.

If what I've just summarised is correct, it can't be Hearn's fault that there's no undisputed fight this year. Two heavyweights are holding all the belts between them, meanwhile there are dozens more waiting in line for an opportunity be it immediately or eventually. It took 12 months for Usyk to remove Joshua from the line because he had to fight him twice, how much longer should the IBF mandatory be made to wait? That's the other side of the argument, it's not all about the beltholders, others want an opportunity to become beltholders and have paid their sanctioning fees, fought and won and then waited patiently for the call, we can't have another 12 months of failed negotiations and Dereck Chisora fights. Fury and Usyk last fought months ago, why haven't they fought each other already or at least made the date?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts