Boxing Forums banner

Who sits top of your list at the end of 2022?

• Usyk

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Inoue

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Crawford

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Spence Jr

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alvarez

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The RING's list as of 10 December 2022 is as follows;

Oleksandr Usyk
Naoya Inoue
Terence Crawford
Errol Spence Jr
Saul Alvarez
Dmitry Bivol
Vasiliy Lomachencko
Josh Taylor
Jermell Charlo
Juan Francisco Estrada

View it here Ratings - The Ring

*THE RING Ratings are compiled by the magazine's Editorial Board, with the participation of THE RING Ratings Panel of boxing journalists from around the world.

Vs last year's ratings we have
Charlo - In
Bivol - In
Usyk- Up one place
Fury - Out
Ioka - Out
Alvarez - Down four places

Here are the end of last year ratings

· Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Ring says this list was updated on Dec 10th but at the same time they've listed Inoue as the undisputed champion but he didn't beat Butler until Dec 13th. It may just be that Inoue was 2nd on Dec 10th and becoming undisputed did not alter this view (in which case there's nothing he can do to get above Usyk, it's Usyk's to lose it seems)

· Registered
2,279 Posts
Tricky one.

I would have had Canelo #1 if he had beaten Bivol. But he found his ceiling at light heavyweight. At least against the best light heavyweight, anyway. He did previously beat Kovalev at light heavyweight though. Thing is, do you penalize Canelo for losing to the best light heavyweight after what he had previously at super middleweight, middleweight and super welterweight. Then again, Canelo had been at super middleweight for some time, so are his earlier exploits lower down still relevant to 2022?

It is impossible to ignore what Usyk has done in the way of winning titles in two divisions. But whether he is a great heavyweight is a question not completely answered yet.

Inoue is a freak. He owns the bantamweight division and has done for a few years now and yes, he did win titles in lighter divisions before that.

For me it is Usyk or Inoue.

· Registered
12,768 Posts
I voted for Inoue, but for me it was really a very close call between him and Bud Crawford. Both are KO artists and undefeated, so there's not much separating their dominant ability in the ring.

What did it for me is Inoue being the smaller man and still KO'ing 21 out of 24 opponents. That is power seldom seen in the weight classes he's fought in.

· Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I can't understand is why Spence Jr is above Charlo, I can't make sense of that. But for me it's got to be Crawford, I think it's been more than 6 years since he last went the distance and with Canelo dropping off I agree with gumbo that it's between Inoue and Crawford I just think Porter and Avanesyan are better than Donaire and Butler

· Registered
12,768 Posts
I put Bivol at the top, for the single feat of de-throning the once-almighty king.

I'd probably put Spence at #2, for the single feat of still being alive and able to box. :)

Can't see Bivol at the top. He beat a guy who finally went a weight class too far for his size in beating Canelo, and doing so by a close UD at that, with all 3 judges nudging it 115-113 in Bivol's favor.

· Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
Can't see Bivol at the top. He beat a guy who finally went a weight class too far for his size in beating Canelo, and doing so by a close UD at that, with all 3 judges nudging it 115-113 in Bivol's favor.

Yeah you have a point.

Maybe it was the EVENT of the year.
I'm just thrilled that someone finally showed Canelo what time it is.

· Registered
12,768 Posts
Tricky one.

I would have had Canelo #1 if he had beaten Bivol. But he found his ceiling at light heavyweight. At least against the best light heavyweight, anyway. He did previously beat Kovalev at light heavyweight though.

For me it is Usyk or Inoue.

I too would have put Canelo at the top if he pulled off a win over Bivol, and yes, he did go "A Bridge Too Far" to use a WWII analogy.

I opted for Inoue as my choice due to his dominance in his division. Usyk did beat AJ twice in convincing fashion in taking both by decision, but for me, AJ is kind of damaged goods now and I think his head is done in after that KO loss to Ruiz and the 2 back to back losses to Usyk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts