Boxing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if their is thread with training footage of Boxers where you can learn stuff from...Thought I would start one.

You dont see younger Boxers using and treating equipment like heavy bags as if it was a live opponent anymore..or practicing their footwork and balance with constant movement whilst punching heavy bags and floor to ceiling bags etc..but that is something that Guillermorigondeaux does brilliantly.

Also liked that pad work of Pedro Diaz he tries to simulate a real opponent...with plenty of movement and angles.

Reactions: dkos

·
Game as they come
540 Posts
You can learn a lot from guys like rigondeaux & also old school training methods

There's some great pad men about today,but there's nothing worse than a trainer who leaps about all over the gaff trying to make himself look good,it's the fighter & his development that's most important

One thing to simulate a real opponent but it's another to go out your way to make yourself look good

Not saying Pedro does this but there's plenty about who do

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can learn a lot from guys like rigondeaux & also old school training methods

There's some great pad men about today,but there's nothing worse than a trainer who leaps about all over the gaff trying to make himself look good,it's the fighter & his development that's most important

One thing to simulate a real opponent but it's another to go out your way to make yourself look good

Not saying Pedro does this but there's plenty about who do
I Understand what you mean...but Pedros Diazs entire approach is scientific..and has a purpose to it...if you watch longer videos of his pad work.

The problem is with the coaches who have no grounding in boxing..and come from a fitness background. And try to do stuff not understanding the method and reasoning behind it..

Like those guys who try to be Roger Mayweather on the pads...move their hands really fast to connect with the boxers gloves.

Not realising what Roger is doing in his padwork is teaching and perfecting combinations , perfecting technique and helping hone Sharpness plus precision of punches
Etc.

·
Game as they come
540 Posts
I Understand what you mean...but Pedros Diazs entire approach is scientific..and has a purpose to it...if you watch longer videos of his pad work.

The problem is with the coaches who have no grounding in boxing..and come from a fitness background. And try to do stuff not understanding the method and reasoning behind it..

Like those guys who try to be Roger Mayweather on the pads...move their hands really fast to connect with the boxers gloves.

Not realising what Roger is doing in his padwork is teaching and perfecting combinations , perfecting technique and helping hone Sharpness plus precision of punches
Etc.
I agree Pedro's pad work is great

I wasn't suggesting Pedro fell into that bracket,I just thought while we were on the subject of fighters training I'd bring it up.Look at Tunde lol!

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree Pedro's pad work is great

I wasn't suggesting Pedro fell into that bracket,I just thought while we were on the subject of fighters training I'd bring it up.Look at Tunde lol!
The negative reviews of this Tunde character on here... have put me of from looking at him..lol.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Rare footage of a 16 year old Tyson...with the legendary
Cus D Amato.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

When it came to focus and discipline in training ...Somebody coined the phrase the "Marvellous Marvin Hagler Mindset"...

Hagler himself called it going to jail...complete focus. Total seclusion and no distractions.

When it comes to the elite level ..talent is over rated...its the attitude and discipline that seperates the championship elite from the pretenders.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Them early Tyson years...what a ferocious individual!

Yes Mike Tyson even when he was shadow boxing...attacked his shadow like he had stolen something from him...lol.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

They say skills pay bills...few with better skills then Sugar Ray Robinson....Even his road work was combined with Shadow Boxing in order to hone those skills.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Here is Larry Holmes...every piece of equipment every exercise used to perfect balance and Jabs and the right hand.

Rule..number 1...balance is King if your balance is right everything everything else will be right..!

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not strictly a boxer training, but here's a video of Bernard Hopkins teaching about feinting. It's a great educational watch:

Awesome thanks ...Bernard Hopkins probably forgot more about Boxing then most others these days will learn.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Boxers at a gym in Cuba...have very little equipment so spend their time by strengthing their foundation..By practicing footwork drills over and over.

According to the poster of this video..Footwork drills are considered more important then open sparring.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Total focus and dedication the Marvellous Marvin Hagler Mindset.

Now a days they call it "Mindfulness" . ..Hagler was practicing mindfulness before anyone had heard of that word.

Reactions: emallini

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Chavez training.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sugar Ray Leonard poetry in motion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts