Boxing Forums banner
181 - 200 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
Wait, there's more!

Who daFUK is Zhan Kossobutskiy, whom the WBC currently has at #10? The only recognizable scalp on his record is Duhaupus! Yet they have him ahead of Hunter, Hrgovic, Ajagba, and Anderson. I'm guessing he has one of those "manufactured" no loss records, and they're just keeping him warm until one of the top guys needs to beat an "undefeated" fighter.

How exciting.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The rankings of the various organizations have always been bullshit. Each has their main men, those they totally ignore and then the rest that they just randomly shuffle into the remaining positions.

Most organizations hold formal events where managers are encouraged to attend and argue why their fighter should be advanced in the ratings. These are just glorified auctions.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Nah, they only make Helenius #4 so tha the Wilder fight would seem more legit. I like Helenius a lot, but he's lost to three "good but not great" fighters and hasn't beaten any seriously top guys at all. Ranking him above undefeated Makmudov is ridiculous, and the same can be said for his being above AJ, if you want to accept the idea that AJ should be ranked by the WBC at all.

- but it is what it is.

Also straining credulity is that they have Hrgovic at #14, while the guy he just beat is at #11, and this list was just updated on Monday !

For me the thing is about historical losses is when do we clear the slate? 2/3 of his losses were 5+ years ago now, should he forever be relegated to the bottom half of the table or should he if he puts together some wins against ranked opponents be allowed to progress? I'm in the camp who believes the latter.

You're mixing up the fighters, it was Zhang who Hrgovic last fought and beat and he's currently 6 places below Hrgovic. What's shocking to me though is for the first time since he entered the WBC rankings Luis Ortiz finds himself outside the top 6, well overdue but at last!!

·
Registered
13,406 Posts
For me the thing is about historical losses is when do we clear the slate? 2/3 of his losses were 5+ years ago now, should he forever be relegated to the bottom half of the table or should he if he puts together some wins against ranked opponents be allowed to progress? I'm in the camp who believes the latter.
That's a great point, and I agree.

You're mixing up the fighters, it was Zhang who Hrgovic last fought and beat and he's currently 6 places below Hrgovic
Yeah, i seem to have had a senior moment there! wowzer ......

Still, having Ortiz that high at this point is absurd.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Kalle Sauerland is confident Fury-AJ will happen :

“The fact that they have received the contract and knowing Ed, if it was a bluff and it was a shit contract, I’m sure there would have been something out there within seconds. You know a dud contract when you see one, so it must be the real deal. I think it’s on.”

·
Registered
4,462 Posts

EH seems pretty sure the fight won't happy and Fury wants to fight Charr. Apparently Shane Fury has said it too. Can't even pretend to be surprised.....
EddieHearn don’t want it this year rather milk his cash cow for a few more fights. Bob Arum rather wait so there is more money on the table next year.

Fury seems like he has just been trolling all along, going by his Brother Shane’s interview.

Only people seem to genuinely want it AJ and Frank Warren. AJ seems afraid he might not get the opportunity again. And Warren wants the pay check he might not get the opportunity again. If Fury decides to switch promoters or go solo.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts

Hearn clearly doesn't want this fight.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Just to say that as of 21st September 2022 (3 days ago when the WBC last updated their rankings), Charr sits in 19th place making him ineligible to fight Fury for the world heavyweight title.

I sincerely hope nothing changes without Charr putting together significant wins first.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Just to say that as of 21st September 2022 (3 days ago when the WBC last updated their rankings), Charr sits in 19th place making him ineligible to fight Fury for the world heavyweight title.

I sincerely hope nothing changes without Charr putting together significant wins first.
Look where 2 losses got AJ. From outside the WBC top 15 straight to number 6.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Shows the usual level of respect Fury has for everyone else, EH has said the contract was a shambles and needed reworking to even be viable, if that is the blocker and they are still willing then Fury is just using this as the excuse to fight Charr which seems like his intention all along. I'm sure he'll continue to blame AJ and EH and most of his followers will swallow it, seems weird to go through all this if you have no intention of fighting AJ. If this is just to wind people up he really is a weird person, plus he is leaving 60% of the biggest UK domestic fight of all time on the table but we will see. Knowing him he'll say it's all sorted tomorrow, he changes his mind so often it's hard to keep up.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Shows the usual level of respect Fury has for everyone else, EH has said the contract was a shambles and needed reworking to even be viable, if that is the blocker and they are still willing then Fury is just using this as the excuse to fight Charr which seems like his intention all along. I'm sure he'll continue to blame AJ and EH and most of his followers will swallow it, seems weird to go through all this if you have no intention of fighting AJ. If this is just to wind people up he really is a weird person, plus he is leaving 60% of the biggest UK domestic fight of all time on the table but we will see. Knowing him he'll say it's all sorted tomorrow, he changes his mind so often it's hard to keep up.
Hearn did not want this fight from the beginning and he will do everything he can to ensure it doesn't happen.

·
just loving boxing
304 Posts
Fury's more than generous offer has bought to a head the differing agendas of AJ and Eddie Hearn.

AJ sees this as an unexpected and welcome chance to fight for a title again and is backing himself to beat Fury, knowing that if this opportunity goes begging it will be a long way back for him to secure another title challenge.

Hearn on the other hand was selling us the story AJ dumped the belt over the ropes following his loss to Usyk because he didn't want the burden of having titles anymore and was planning on AJ fighting second class opposition on some kind of farewell tour. Hearn has never sounded confident AJ could beat Fury.

AJ and Hearn's relationship may not be the same after this.

181 - 200 of 263 Posts