Boxing Forums banner

Who Wins?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Marvel Stadium in Melbourne, Australia, George Kambosos Jr (20-0) will make the maiden defence of his WBA, WBO, WBC Franchise & IBF world Lightweight titles against the undefeated WBC Lightweight world champion Devin Haney (27-0) who in turn makes the 5th defence of his crown (and the first on away turf).

The show will be broadcast live on Main Event PPV in Australia, ESPN in the United States and Sky Sports in the United Kingdom though I'm not sure if it will be live here due to the time difference.

The first press conference took place in Australia with the unified champion in attendance and the Haney's joining via videolink from Los Angeles. This is for the undisputed Lightweight championship of the world.

·
CHB NYC Delegate; Bob's weaver
20,929 Posts
Haney on points, 116-112.

·
CHB NYC Delegate; Bob's weaver
20,929 Posts
Haney lost the press conference though. LOL

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bill Haney and Ben Davison both denied entry to Australia, Haney Sr due to time served on a drug charge 30 years ago, I haven't been able to find out yet why Davison isn't allowed in and so anyway the father and former trainer of Zab Judah will take up the reigns for the WBC Lightweight Champion next weekend. Yet another handicap for the travelling Devin Haney but will he overcome is the question, can't wait to find out.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Bill Haney and Ben Davison both denied entry to Australia, Haney Sr due to time served on a drug charge 30 years ago, I haven't been able to find out yet why Davison isn't allowed in and so anyway the father and former trainer of Zab Judah will take up the reigns for the WBC Lightweight Champion next weekend. Yet another handicap for the travelling Devin Haney but will he overcome is the question, can't wait to find out.
Brings my piss to a boil thar our moronic immigration mob are still holding something from 30 years ago against Bill. As if people don’t make mistakes and can’t change. It’s absolutely nonsense.

But people have got to let go of this “Haney is handicapped” notion. It sucks he hasn’t got his dad but acting as if him travelling down under is something extreme and worthy of praise for just that alone is ridiculous!

Kambosos has spent the best part of 4 years straight on the road with little acknowledgment. Some of the stuff you read on IG etc makes it seem as if Haney is slaying giants just by travelling outside of his postcode.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
I think Kambosos is open enough for Haney to stop him

I have to do what I rarely do, and disagree with you. :) :cool:

Kambosos isn't afraid to exchange, and at a high rate, so sometime it looks like he's taking a lot of punishment. - But he isn't. He has REALLY good head slips, almost Canelo-level. Watch the Lopez fight again. Teo scored points, but he landed very few meaningful shots.

Also, Kambobos has lightning-fast hands, so if he can keep up a high output for the whole fight (which is the big question) then I think Haney will have trouble landing many serious bombs.

I definitely think this one goes to the cards, though I have no idea who will win. (Corrupt judges notwithstanding.)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brings my piss to a boil thar our moronic immigration mob are still holding something from 30 years ago against Bill. As if people don’t make mistakes and can’t change. It’s absolutely nonsense.

But people have got to let go of this “Haney is handicapped” notion. It sucks he hasn’t got his dad but acting as if him travelling down under is something extreme and worthy of praise for just that alone is ridiculous!

Kambosos has spent the best part of 4 years straight on the road with little acknowledgment. Some of the stuff you read on IG etc makes it seem as if Haney is slaying giants just by travelling outside of his postcode.
Quite right, him travelling to fight the unified world champion isn't worthy of praise in itself, Kostya Tszyu had to go to the US to challenge for his first world title, when the fighters are based in different countries someone has to go over otherwise there's no fight.

But agreeing to a one-way rematch clause in a unification fight as well as the demand he go back to Australia if he wins in order to give Kambosos Jr another opportunity is noteworthy I think and then of course Kambosos Sr will be there on fight night and the weeks beforehand too whereas Haney will basically be on his own since two of his most important team members aren't being let into the country, not Kambosos' fault (unless you believe the conspiracy theories out there) but it's still another advantage for him.

As for your border force not letting him in, well, I hope they forgive Australians who commit crimes decades earlier with nothing since but I actually don't feel any sympathy for Haney Sr, I don't think it's unreasonable for a nation to tell a foreigner you're not coming in because you've got a criminal record, their primary duty is protecting Australians, if we had a similar policy over here I wouldn't be complaining at all.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I have to do what I rarely do, and disagree with you. :) :cool:

Kambosos isn't afraid to exchange, and at a high rate, so sometime it looks like he's taking a lot of punishment. - But he isn't. He has REALLY good head slips, almost Canelo-level. Watch the Lopez fight again. Teo scored points, but he landed very few meaningful shots.

Also, Kambobos has lightning-fast hands, so if he can keep up a high output for the whole fight (which is the big question) then I think Haney will have trouble landing many serious bombs.

I definitely think this one goes to the cards, though I have no idea who will win. (Corrupt judges notwithstanding.)
Kambosos was wobbled a few times against Lopez, even though Lopez is the harder puncher, I think Haney is good enough to capitalize. I'm actually rooting for Kambosos, he's a scrappy little shit

·
Registered
12,861 Posts
Kambosos was wobbled a few times against Lopez, even though Lopez is the harder puncher, I think Haney is good enough to capitalize. I'm actually rooting for Kambosos, he's a scrappy little shit
I think Haney might stop him, I was watching the highlights back every single right hand Lopez threw landed clean or nearly Kambosos had no defense for it at all, his chin held up well for the most part

Haney might be able to break him down and land clean but then when Haney gasses Kambosos has a chance to do damage im not sure it goes the distance

1 - 20 of 53 Posts