Boxing Forums banner

Who Wins?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Marvel Stadium in Melbourne, Australia, George Kambosos Jr (20-0) will make the maiden defence of his WBA, WBO, WBC Franchise & IBF world Lightweight titles against the undefeated WBC Lightweight world champion Devin Haney (27-0) who in turn makes the 5th defence of his crown (and the first on away turf).

The show will be broadcast live on Main Event PPV in Australia, ESPN in the United States and Sky Sports in the United Kingdom though I'm not sure if it will be live here due to the time difference.

The first press conference took place in Australia with the unified champion in attendance and the Haney's joining via videolink from Los Angeles. This is for the undisputed Lightweight championship of the world.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bill Haney and Ben Davison both denied entry to Australia, Haney Sr due to time served on a drug charge 30 years ago, I haven't been able to find out yet why Davison isn't allowed in and so anyway the father and former trainer of Zab Judah will take up the reigns for the WBC Lightweight Champion next weekend. Yet another handicap for the travelling Devin Haney but will he overcome is the question, can't wait to find out.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brings my piss to a boil thar our moronic immigration mob are still holding something from 30 years ago against Bill. As if people don’t make mistakes and can’t change. It’s absolutely nonsense.

But people have got to let go of this “Haney is handicapped” notion. It sucks he hasn’t got his dad but acting as if him travelling down under is something extreme and worthy of praise for just that alone is ridiculous!

Kambosos has spent the best part of 4 years straight on the road with little acknowledgment. Some of the stuff you read on IG etc makes it seem as if Haney is slaying giants just by travelling outside of his postcode.
Quite right, him travelling to fight the unified world champion isn't worthy of praise in itself, Kostya Tszyu had to go to the US to challenge for his first world title, when the fighters are based in different countries someone has to go over otherwise there's no fight.

But agreeing to a one-way rematch clause in a unification fight as well as the demand he go back to Australia if he wins in order to give Kambosos Jr another opportunity is noteworthy I think and then of course Kambosos Sr will be there on fight night and the weeks beforehand too whereas Haney will basically be on his own since two of his most important team members aren't being let into the country, not Kambosos' fault (unless you believe the conspiracy theories out there) but it's still another advantage for him.

As for your border force not letting him in, well, I hope they forgive Australians who commit crimes decades earlier with nothing since but I actually don't feel any sympathy for Haney Sr, I don't think it's unreasonable for a nation to tell a foreigner you're not coming in because you've got a criminal record, their primary duty is protecting Australians, if we had a similar policy over here I wouldn't be complaining at all.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You think? I’ve been loving Kambosos’ confidence so far and thought he was flawless on the mic against Lopez, at thatconference though… seemed a bit douchy to me.

The rat stuff was a poor man’s version of Conor McGregors rat stuff which was far from his best.

It’s clear as day why Haney would have always been cheering for Kambosos if you ask me. Of course he did whatever he could to help him get a win
From Kambosos Jr's entrance to the face off I was observing Haney and to me he looks like someone who knows he's all alone in hostile territory, it's easy to give an interview in Vegas and say it'll be water off a duck's back but now he's arrived and Kambosos Jr isn't playing nice or even neutral, instead opting to go on a verbal offensive from the off I think has rattled Haney expecially as he's without his father and head trainer.

Haney's sparring partners will have an eye on him now too, running back to Team Kambosos reporting on Lopez's personal life without even having been asked isn't a good look afaic, sounds like a gossiping female

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I hope he doesn't invoke the rematch clause (though from his pov there's no reason not to). We'll never know if Haney would have perfomed the same without his father and head coach as Bill Haney arrived in Melbourne at the 11th hour to take charge of the corner and guide his son to victory.

Not the most entertaining fight to watch but congratulations to Devin Haney who went from the "email champ" to now the undisputed Lightweight champion of the world, no more ridicule from here on out!

Still he has to do it again but I think it's safe to say he will and comfortably. I changed my pick from Haney to Kambosos Jr after the press conference but then I couldn't get back here in time to change it back after I saw he missed weight lol that was a red flag.

At the end of the day if they fought ten times Kambosos Jr would lose each fight I'm sure, back to obscurity it is unless he can overcome the odds and regain the titles in November. Will always remember his win over Lopez Jr though, that no one can take away from him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts