Boxing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got thinking about Walcott vs. Ali a little while ago, and to be honest, I liked Jersey Joe as a potential dark-horse to trouble Ali somewhat. Now, I don't think he would win, but just how competitive would a primed Jersey Joe Walcott be?

How about if a prime JJW faced, say, the faded version of Ali in 1975. :think
I may be dead wrong of course, but it's interesting to me.

· Registered
3,168 Posts
I think a big problem for Walcott against a decent version of Ali is that he'd have to come forward to make the fight, not always his strong point and also playing into Alis hands. Against the les mobile 1975 version then he could maybe get into range without taking too much, make a fight out of it and its not beyond the realms of possibility that he could outwork Ali for as points win.

· Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think a big problem for Walcott against a decent version of Ali is that he'd have to come forward to make the fight, not always his strong point and also playing into Alis hands. Against the les mobile 1975 version then he could maybe get into range without taking too much, make a fight out of it and its not beyond the realms of possibility that he could outwork Ali for as points win.
I agree. Walcott's main advantage would be his countering ability IMO. Ali in 1975 had slowed down a lot and was open to accurate, crisp counters. Walcott would be landing that left hook and right hand profusely whilst keeping out of range.

· Registered
3,168 Posts
Whether he's get the decision in the mid 1970s is another matter, around that time Ali only had to do a bit of clowning and fight the last 30 seconds of a round to win it on the judges scorecard!

· Registered
6,403 Posts
I've bever actually thought of this as a match before! Very interesting!

I love Walcott. I think he is seriously underrated, and possibly has the greatest footwork of any HW in history. But like many have said, Ali would make him cone forward. I think Walcott was good enough to trouble him, but not to necessarily win the rounds.

Ali UD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.