Boxing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I don't consider he cherry picked, I've heard all the arguments but when I examine them in detail I realise it's just people hating. People love to hate. "Argh but he didn't fight Williams, he didn't fight Lara, he didn't fight Thurman" yeah well he couldn't of fought everyone, there's always someone you're not going to be able to fight in today's boxing, long gone are the days where you have 100 pro fights. Joe Calzaghe retires and it's "Oh he didn't fight Froch"

But when you're not hating then you look at who he DID fight.

The Golden Boy, Canelo Alvarez, Hatton, Mosley, Judah, Corrales, Chop Chop, Pacquiao and I know I'm forgetting other notable names but not only did he fight them, he won them all, no draws, that's a hall of fame resume, he was universally recognised as the number one P4P fighter in the world for longer than anyone else I can remember (if he didn't retire & come back), today we're arguing over who's number 1 P4P, when Mayweather was active there wasn't any argument, there's a reason for that.

He was the best fighter of his generation.

·
Registered
24,619 Posts
I went to Judah Mayweather at the Thomas & Mack. Paid 50 bucks and sat at the top. Some dude with a Lollypop fought on the undercard and everybody loved him.

It was @MichiganWarrior’s longest thread on ESB “was Mayweather “Floored”

His glove hit the ground so YES he was knocked down technically..

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I don't consider he cherry picked, I've heard all the arguments but when I examine them in detail I realise it's just people hating. People love to hate. "Argh but he didn't fight Williams, he didn't fight Lara, he didn't fight Thurman" yeah well he couldn't of fought everyone, there's always someone you're not going to be able to fight in today's boxing, long gone are the days where you have 100 pro fights. Joe Calzaghe retires and it's "Oh he didn't fight Froch"

But when you're not hating then you look at who he DID fight.

The Golden Boy, Canelo Alvarez, Hatton, Mosley, Judah, Corrales, Chop Chop, Pacquiao and I know I'm forgetting other notable names but not only did he fight them, he won them all, no draws, that's a hall of fame resume, he was universally recognised as the number one P4P fighter in the world for longer than anyone else I can remember (if he didn't retire & come back), today we're arguing over who's number 1 P4P, when Mayweather was active there wasn't any argument, there's a reason for that.

He was the best fighter of his generation.
This is a good take. The cherry pick thing is stup

People the lengths people went to with the “he didn’t fight X, Y or Z” are ridiculous.

“Oh he waited till the got old or blah blah”.. well if you actually look a bit deeper the majority of guys he fought from De La Hoya on were coming off their biggest if not one of their biggest career wins. I’d almost argue apart from the Pac-Man saga and Marquez there was almost a formula to get a fight with Mayweather. Just win a belt and do it in a big fight.

Hatton undefeated, hugely popular, unified champ stepping up.

Mosley just winning a fight hardly anyone thought he would against Margarito who was seen as a boogie man for what he did to Cotto

Ortiz beat undefeated WBC champ Berto in an exciting fight and his best win

Cotto after going up in weight, looking rejuvenated and avenging his loss to Margarito

Guerrero, multiple division champ coming up and beating Berto… this one not so great to be honest.

Alvarez, was young but already an undefeated champion,(correctly) seen as boxings next big star. Many Thought he’d be to young, to strong, to powerful and to much for the 36 year old Mayweather. Hindsight tell us Alvarez got a lot better but doesn’t change that he was still seen as a legit when they fought.

Maidana after destroying “the next Floyd” Broner. His biggest win. Again many thought his strength style would be to much. Then got the rematch immediately after giving Floyd a hard fight

Pac-Man, people say he was to old but he’s younger than Floyd. He’d had some losses but was still regarded as #2 P4P, had avenged his loss to Bradley who had since beaten the man that KO’d Pacman, Marquez.

At this point Floyd is 38 and people were claiming he was ducking GGG who said he’d go to 154 or Martinez…. Bananas!!!

Berto 🤷‍♂️ - was supposed to be a retirement fight. We should let it slide.

McGregor - $$$$$$$$

Khan spent years calling out Floyd and never got the fight but I reckon he would have had he fought and beat Devon Alexander for the WBC when he had the chance.

Calling him a cherry picker is a pretty shallow argument in my opinion.

I don’t know if Floyd TBE but he definitely belongs in the convo

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Alvarez, was young but already an undefeated champion,(correctly) seen as boxings next big star. Many Thought he’d be to young, to strong, to powerful and to much for the 36 year old Mayweather.
We saw this time and time again too.

Before the fight: "Mayweather's gonna lose"

After the fight: "Oh... well he waited until the other guy was old he should have fought him earlier" But he was "old" when you picked him to win remember??

De La Hoya is the only fighter who ever beat Mayweather Jr in 50 pro fights (according to 1 official scorer which is all that matters once the gloves have been hung up).

I'm also going to hold off from declaring him TBE but he's on the shortlist for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts