Boxing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was a little debate myself and Flea were having earlier on Twitter. Would Haye be a match for the likes of Bob Foster, Doug Jones and Bob Satterfield who all fought at "heavyweight" weighing around 190lbs? Your thoughts guys..........

· Registered
20,274 Posts
I'll add Dempsey, Tunney, Charles and Walcott into the mix as well.

Haye Vs Patterson would be a good one. I reckon Haye might land an early K.O 3 times out of ten there.

Gaye himself has said it's the shorter guys that crowd him that give him trouble. Even allowing for him getting the extra day to make 200lbs so therefore being bigger than ALL of these guys, I think he's like 6'2 1/2 so only Foster would be taller I think. His very bestweight is around 210, which is okay against all of these guys IMO, and gives him a more live shot, he's a more in shape 210lber than some of these guys will have encountered.

Haye could well break Foster but Bob had a great jab at either weight and had rounds in him at heavy so he has a good chance to hit and hurt Haye assuming he doesn't fold. Let's remember Haye is quite a cagey feinting type who then gets ragged when he gets his man hurt. His stamina, balance and punch resistance are all questionable as well IMO, as well as not being a huge puncher (quick and hurtful but not a freak) and a shoddy finisher.

Not qualities I really look for when looking for confident H2H picks!

· Registered
20,274 Posts
I'm picturing Bob Foster wiping out Haye in no time at all.
I just think HW Haye would try and be evasive. He have less distance to cover than against Wlad, and less of a physical obstacle in trying to land shots. Also, Foster is not as resilient a Heavy as Wlad. He had heart and took his beatings, so he could well keep rising as he did against Ali and not face quote as much stress against a fighter of Haye's calibre.

Can't see Haye doing a Frazier on him. So if Haye did come in looking to land a well-placed bomb as he did against Ruiz, well I can safely say that's Bob Fosters game.

One of the more intriguing ones. Both pretty erratic heavyweights who had less success at a 'lower weight' (the quotes are for Haye. I've made my stance on 'cruiserweight' before :bart)

One great Light Heavyweight that campaigned at Heavyweight that I give David no chance with is Mike Spinks! :deal

· Sucka Free Baws
2,553 Posts
I just think HW Haye would try and be evasive. He have less distance to cover than against Wlad, and less of a physical obstacle in trying to land shots. Also, Foster is not as resilient a Heavy as Wlad. He had heart and took his beatings, so he could well keep rising as he did against Ali and not face quote as much stress against a fighter of Haye's calibre.

Can't see Haye doing a Frazier on him. So if Haye did come in looking to land a well-placed bomb as he did against Ruiz, well I can safely say that's Bob Fosters game.

One of the more intriguing ones. One great Light Heavyweight that campaigned at Heavyweight that I give David no chance with is Mike Spinks! :deal
Good post :good

How I see it is when Haye tries to be aggressive, which he would need to be if he wanted to stop Foster (IMO) he get's sloppy and I don't reckon his wild, cuffing shots would be enough to get Foster out of there. If Haye tried to be more reserved (such as like he was vs Ruiz, as you said, picking his shots) I don't think he'd be able to pick out Foster without himself getting nailed (and Haye caught punches vs Ruiz).

But I can't count Haye out of it, obviously.

· Registered
20,274 Posts
Good post :good

How I see it is when Haye tries to be aggressive, which he would need to be if he wanted to stop Foster (IMO) he get's sloppy and I don't reckon his wild, cuffing shots would be enough to get Foster out of there. If Haye tried to be more reserved (such as like he was vs Ruiz, as you said, picking his shots) I don't think he'd be able to pick out Foster without himself getting nailed (and Haye caught punches vs Ruiz).

But I can't count Haye out of it, obviously.
Yeah Haye does seem to be in a catch 22 really. I just fancy he can pot shot Bob as the fight goes on and sting him just as I can see Haye's admittedly good head movement being nullified by Foster's jab.

Speaking of Doug Jones, Foster took that on very short notice IIRC but Jones did give an Ali that still looke better than any version of Haye considerable hassle. I might be wrong but I think that's all I've seen of Jones though, certainly all I can recall at this moment of time.

· Registered
20,274 Posts
Let's not forget Haye's baiting and countering is more down to his athleticism. His feints and movement are fairly exaggerated.

Against Enzo it worked well, against the crafty and workmanlike bunch that's been mentioned here he probably gets to see what his style really looks like :D

Anyway, Satterfield probably had a shitter chin than Haye, and was smaller, but he came to bang and he'd force Haye into it IMO, then it's anyone's game. I'd favour Haye based on him being less easy to tag but again, I don't feel particularly confident in him.

I'd take the Tommy Morrison that beat Big George as a far easier fighter to envision against top quality fighters. He had a bigger dig on him than Haye as well. That Morrison against some of the plodding bangers might fare okay to an extent, but Haye didn't even impress me to that degree with his fight against Valuev despite the mammoth of a man he was up against.

Hate has a real small head for his body I just think that's the inherent flaw in his fighting makeup. He doesn't have a warriors skull.

Haye decimates Corbett, Fitz (maybe just MAYBE not :hey) and probably picks Jeff' apart pretty easy using his superior speed to win a 12 round decision under Haye's ruleset (fight to the finish with 4oz gloves? Haye falls to bits) so against some of the 'legends' with a more archaic style I would pick him.

I genuinely can't pick Haye against Jack Sharkey. Nor Max Schmeling. Max Baer would crush Haye IMO.
@Vic-JofreBrasil How'd ya' see Haye Vs Carnera (sorry for moving off the weight set out in the thread Danny!)

So really I give Haye at least a chance against a lot of the guys I've brought up. I just don't think he's as good as a LOT of heavyweights. The same goes to Jean-Marc Mormeck and Steve Cunningham. Marvin Camel as well. There's a reason those guys are famous for their Cruiserwright days and that's because they weren't good enough to be top drawer Heavyweights.

· Sucka Free Baws
2,553 Posts
I don't think Carnera's got the reflexes to beat Haye, personally. I think Haye could employ the gameplan he did vs Wladimir but it would actually work this time :yep

· Registered
20,274 Posts
So to sum up this thread, you all basically think that Haye's shite and he would be brutally ko'ed by every old timer mentioned ;)
:|
@ScouseLeader tougher fight than Valuev though. But while info think Carnera is unfairly dismissed by many he was pretty ungainly. No worse than Vitali though :yep

· Sucka Free Baws
2,553 Posts
:|
@ScouseLeader tougher fight than Valuev though. But while info think Carnera is unfairly dismissed by many he was pretty ungainly. No worse than Vitali though :yep
Yeah, I can see that actually. From my somewhat limited observations of Carnera he was probably a little easier to 'get to' than someone like Wladimir Klitschko, in the sense that when you make a move towards Wlad, he pulls his upper body backwards and pushes forwards. Carnera did that a little bit but not as efficiently as Klitschko I don't think. I think Haye has the speed to catch him as he's moving backwards and could jump on him when he was on the retreat as I don't quite see Carnera being as defensively adept as Klitschko or as physically powerful but I'm no expert on him as a fighter sooo.....:yep

· Registered
20,274 Posts
@ScouseLeader it is a pretty lazy analysis but easer than Wlad, harder than Valuev. I'll take Haye. He might not be able to dish out a Baer style accumulative beating on a Carnera with two legs though :yep

· Registered
16,393 Posts
You're already here ;) :good

Okay, let's stay on topic, thoughts on Jones-Haye please :think
I think Jones would beat Haye in a close fight.....I think Haye HW version is stronger than that Ali who fought with DJ.....and probably would land the harder punches and win a close decision.....
As for your question, Carnera UD Haye...he is way better than Valuev and Haye didn´t beat SNV easily, it was a bit close that fight, Carnera has a much better jab and mobility than SNV (not even close really) and would box well and get the decision....

· Registered
7,307 Posts
I rate Haye quite highly as a h2h force and I think comparisons between him and Patterson are pretty realistic.

Both have blinding speed and 1 shot power. both are vulnerable in the chin but compensated with reflexes and footwork.

Aside from rocky marciano, there's no guy I'd write Haye off against at the CW limit (200). Once you get above that though with the likes of Louis, Frazier and guys that are his size but better, his chances diminish and against SHW's I think Wlad showed that a good pressured jab is all that's needed to nullify him totally.

· Registered
511 Posts
Fitzsimmons + Langford brutal KO of Haye
Dempsey and Marciano same
Frazier he would get broken down
Patterson would murk him unless Haye got lucky
He would beat Corbett(maybe)
Charles, Tunney,Schmeling and Walcott would beat him on points by a wide margin, big beatings there
Foster he would beat
Jones he would not
Ingo he would probably beat
Sharkey depends who shows up
Johnson depends on whose ruleset

idk who else im forgetting of note

· Registered
511 Posts
Yeah, I can see that actually. From my somewhat limited observations of Carnera he was probably a little easier to 'get to' than someone like Wladimir Klitschko, in the sense that when you make a move towards Wlad, he pulls his upper body backwards and pushes forwards. Carnera did that a little bit but not as efficiently as Klitschko I don't think. I think Haye has the speed to catch him as he's moving backwards and could jump on him when he was on the retreat as I don't quite see Carnera being as defensively adept as Klitschko or as physically powerful but I'm no expert on him as a fighter sooo.....:yep
Carnera had a legitimately sick right uppercut and actually pretty decent movement + jab. I think Haye would be less scared of Carnera than he was of Waldo but that doesnt mean his infighting would be any smarter than it was tbh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.