Boxing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
12,768 Posts
You first should get to a boxing club/gym and find out what they suggest. Here in the States if a guy wants to start boxing and joins a club much of the equipment is already there to be used with the exception of hand wraps, trunks, shoes and mouth guards. The clubs around my part of the world have protective cups, gloves for sparring and bag striking, jump ropes and of course heavy bags, speed bags, uppercut bags, etc.

I dabbled in boxing many years ago and all sparring was done in 16 oz. gloves, but that is not what you'd be using if you were to be matched up with an opponent in a sanctioned bout.

· R.I.P. Joe Rein
34,641 Posts
I found many companies for the best boxing gloves in the UK. But give me your suggestion about the best boxing gloves for begineers.
Everlast always serve me well. Get 16oz gloves, they'll be okay for sparring and hitting the bags. If you do want to splash out then Cleto Reyes, but they'll be close to £200.

As @gumbo2176 said, though, your club should have enough gloves to see you right, but if you want your own then there's my suggestions.

· Registered
1 Posts
I would not say that there are models of boxing gloves created only for beginners. There are just models of gloves that cost differently. If you don't have a big budget, you can buy any gloves that will fit you from Everlast. Yes, some inexpensive models will perfectly suit you for training. In general, I advise you to read articles on the Internet about the best beginner boxing gloves and already decide which boxing gloves you should buy based on your goals and budget. I just gave you a little advice, and I think that you can find more detailed articles on the Internet where everything will become clear.

· Registered
2,279 Posts
Just realized the opening post is 2 years old but for the record.

Brand wise, Everlast is as good a suggestion as anything else but as @gumbo2176 said, if you go to a club they will probably supply gloves. If they do, try a few of their different brand gloves and see which type you like best. Then buy that brand.

When you spar you need to wear 16ox gloves but that might not be for little while, depending on your standard and what you want to do with boxing. But I found 16oz gloves, when I started out, to be big and clumsy. It is easier to learn the skills wearing lighter gloves. But listen to what the trainer at your gym tells you about gloves because opinions vary..

· Registered
12,768 Posts

Brand wise, Everlast is as good a suggestion as anything else but as @gumbo2176 said, if you go to a club they will probably supply gloves. If they do, try a few of their different brand gloves and see which type you like best. Then buy that brand.

When you spar you need to wear 16ox gloves but that might not be for little while, depending on your standard and what you want to do with boxing. But I found 16oz gloves, when I started out, to be big and clumsy. It is easier to learn the skills wearing lighter gloves. But listen to what the trainer at your gym tells you about gloves because opinions vary..

The 2 main reasons for using 16 oz. gloves in the gym are so when sparring you don't hurt your opponent as easily since they are very padded, plus with each of you sparring wearing head gear, it is hard to really get damaging licks in.

The other reason is it builds endurance when using big gloves for bag striking, sparring etc. If you get into the ring in a sanctioned bout, you'd probably use 10 or 12 oz. gloves depending on your weight class.

· Registered
1,126 Posts

Eh many of everlasting cheaper gloves are horrible and more horrible compared to other gloves at similar price points.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts