Boxing Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,488 Posts
Not when this generation of heavies hasn't a patch on the 90s. There is nothing great about Fury, Joshua et all when stacked against the roster of the 70s and 90s imo.
This is BS, every athlete today is fitter, better trained and has better nutrition than anyone of 10 years ago let alone 30,40 or 50. They have to be better because the opposition is so much deeper and they have those same advantages. It's not just boxing, Pele for example looked brilliant in the 50s and 60s but half the players he played wouldn't get into a non league side today, so compared to Messi or Ronaldo he would be crushed. It's just progress thats the way things go.

·
buff it good
5,160 Posts
This is BS, every athlete today is fitter, better trained and has better nutrition than anyone of 10 years ago let alone 30,40 or 50. They have to be better because the opposition is so much deeper and they have those same advantages. It's not just boxing, Pele for example looked brilliant in the 50s and 60s but half the players he played wouldn't get into a non league side today, so compared to Messi or Ronaldo he would be crushed. It's just progress thats the way things go.
You are asserting the greatest boxers of all time are the current generation. What a fucking casual!

·
BAD MOTHERFUCKER
9,969 Posts
Would you not say the Ruiz's win over Joshua was better?
That win could definitely be argued as being as good or better.

But I would rank Usyk's win above it.

A KO might well look like it's more decisive, but that isn't always the case. In Ruiz's case, the loss came about from AJ being unprepared for Ruiz and taking him too lightly. AJ proved in the rematch that he was a superior boxer and win by a wide decision.

With Usyk, it was a different story. AJ had no answer for him, and I think that will be evident in the upcoming rematch.

Still, I accept your point that you could pick Ruiz's win as the better one.

One big argument in its favour was that AJ was undefeated at the time.

·
Super Moderator
3,109 Posts
That win could definitely be argued as being as good or better.

But I would rank Usyk's win above it.

A KO might well look like it's more decisive, but that isn't always the case. In Ruiz's case, the loss came about from AJ being unprepared for Ruiz and taking him too lightly. AJ proved in the rematch that he was a superior boxer and win by a wide decision.

With Usyk, it was a different story. AJ had no answer for him, and I think that will be evident in the upcoming rematch.

Still, I accept your point that you could pick Ruiz's win as the better one.

One big argument in its favour was that AJ was undefeated at the time.
Also, I think that Usyk was seen (and still is) as a elite level fighter where as Ruiz wasn't.

A lot of people tipped Usyk to win, not so many tipped Ruiz. The pedigree in both the pro and the am game of Usyk means that Ruiz's win ranks as a better win IMO.

·
BAD MOTHERFUCKER
9,969 Posts
Also, I think that Usyk was seen (and still is) as a elite level fighter where as Ruiz wasn't.

A lot of people tipped Usyk to win, not so many tipped Ruiz. The pedigree in both the pro and the am game of Usyk means that Ruiz's win ranks as a better win IMO.
That would make Ruiz's win bigger upset than the Usyk fight.

But given the skills involved and the manner of he took Joshua apart, I still lean towards Usyk''s feat as the bigger win.

Andy beat him because he got lucky. Usyk beat him because he was better.

No right answer here...picking Andy's win iis definitely reasonable.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts