Boxing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Naoya Inoue wants to move up in weight after he beats up Paul Butler and unifies the title, and he wants to fight the best, and he considers Stephen Fulton a considerable test. It's good to see that he wants the best guys, because I don't know if he will beat Fulton, who is a very tough customer. I'd love to see him fight a guy like Figueroa first to see how he can handle him. How do you guys think Inoue will do at 122? Fulton is big for the weight, so should he wait a while and grow into the weight, or fight him right off the bat?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Given how dominant he has been at 118, I doubt the weight difference will be a massive difference given how close the divisions are together. Fulton will be his toughest challenge so far for sure but I would still expect him to win it.

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Given how dominant he has been at 118, I doubt the weight difference will be a massive difference given how close the divisions are together. Fulton will be his toughest challenge so far for sure but I would still expect him to win it.
4 pounds is not a lot, but sometimes it makes a big difference. Donaire Struggled when he moved up. and Wilfredo Gomez, who was a dominant champion at 122, was never quite as good when he moved up to Featherweight. Inoue is not a big guy, and I surmise he will do well with smallish super-bantamweights, but Fulton is elite. Murodjon Akhmadaliev is elite. I'd like to see him take on Figuroa, or even Luis Nery, to see how he does against them first.

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Especially the younger bucks who don't complain about money - What does Inoue even make? he should be making top level money

I'd love to see him in bareknuckle
He does very well in Japan, and I'm sure he makes more money in endorsements and personal appearances than boxing.
As far as the Bare Knuckle Boxing, I think he would have a hard time getting other top guys to fight him. Who would want to take a shot from him with padding?He would put everyone to sleep.

·
'G' nius
27,274 Posts
He does very well in Japan, and I'm sure he makes more money in endorsements and personal appearances than boxing.
As far as the Bare Knuckle Boxing, I think he would have a hard time getting other top guys to fight him. Who would want to take a shot from him with padding?He would put everyone to sleep.
Yeah you're right I doubt anyone would want that smoke. I guess he made + endorsements around 700K for Donaire. Still not enough - when Prince Naz was making 7 mill a fight - of course that was the HBO days

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah you're right I doubt anyone would want that smoke. I guess he made + endorsements around 700K for Donaire. Still not enough - when Prince Naz was making 7 mill a fight - of course that was the HBO days
Unfortunately, Japanese fighters tend to not care about worldwide fame. With his style, he should be a superstar, but he is happy to be mainly a domestic attraction. If he fights a guy like Figueroa or Fulton, and wins in Vegas, or MSG, he could call the shots.

·
The World's Great Lover
34,250 Posts
So Naoya Inoue wants to move up in weight after he beats up Paul Butler and unifies the title, and he wants to fight the best, and he considers Stephen Fulton a considerable test. It's good to see that he wants the best guys, because I don't know if he will beat Fulton, who is a very tough customer. I'd love to see him fight a guy like Figueroa first to see how he can handle him. How do you guys think Inoue will do at 122? Fulton is big for the weight, so should he wait a while and grow into the weight, or fight him right off the bat?
I'm interested to see if the power travels up.
I remember pre peds Manny looked different moving up.
Hell you look at those smaller weights a few pounds can take you from being a KO puncher to a accumulation guy, look at donaire.
This is a P4P fighter. :)

Hopefully he moves up well

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm interested to see if the power travels up.
I remember pre peds Manny looked different moving up.
Hell you look at those smaller weights a few pounds can take you from being a KO puncher to a accumulation guy, look at donaire.
This is a P4P fighter. :)

Hopefully he moves up well
Yes, and he's not a big guy. He might do OK at 122, but I think big suoer-bantamweights might give him problems. I actually can't put him over Fulton. I respect his competitiveness, though.

Donaire should never have gone up to featherweight

·
The World's Great Lover
34,250 Posts
Yes, and he's not a big guy. He might do OK at 122, but I think big suoer-bantamweights might give him problems. I actually can't put him over Fulton. I respect his competitiveness, though.

Donaire should never have gone up to featherweight
I think looking back we say that, but like Innoue, he wanted a challenge and to see what his limit was and you can't knock that.

I'm really hoping he can be competitive though, because personally I think he gets hit too much, way too much, if he can start actually boxing and not relying on his power I think he might prove to be special, but thats a big if, he hasn't shown me the ability to be as crafty as Donnaire.

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think looking back we say that, but like Innoue, he wanted a challenge and to see what his limit was and you can't knock that.

I'm really hoping he can be competitive though, because personally I think he gets hit too much, way too much, if he can start actually boxing and not relying on his power I think he might prove to be special, but thats a big if, he hasn't shown me the ability to be as crafty as Donnaire.
Inoue is very good, so he hasn't had to adjust. As good as he already is, he could use a bit of slickness. Japanese fighters tend to be defensively limited, with little head movement, but it's easy to see that Inoue has the ability to be a good defender. He should have a better career than Nonito.

·
The World's Great Lover
34,250 Posts
ou think
Inoue is very good, so he hasn't had to adjust. As good as he already is, he could use a bit of slickness. Japanese fighters tend to be defensively limited, with little head movement, but it's easy to see that Inoue has the ability to be a good defender. He should have a better career than Nonito.
I dont know man, donaire in that first fight touched him way too much. He was touching him in the 2nd fight too and it isnt like donaire didnt hurt him either.

That worries me if he moves up and doesnt have any power, he could get in a dangerous spot like provodnikov.

Why you hating on the most successful pussy whipped boxer in history. Lol. Donaire is a hof, man innour should wish to have a cateer like him

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
AH, the old "Looking ahead to the next fight thinking I've already won the one scheduled" ploy. It's been known to backfire on fighters when they look ahead instead of concentrating on the task at hand.

I like Inoue, but that is a bad thing to get into. Never look past an opponent.

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont know man, donaire in that first fight touched him way too much. He was touching him in the 2nd fight too and it isnt like donaire didnt hurt him either.

That worries me if he moves up and doesnt have any power, he could get in a dangerous spot like provodnikov.

Why you hating on the most successful pussy whipped boxer in history. Lol. Donaire is a hof, man innour should wish to have a cateer like him
Actually I respect Donaire a lot. He put in a lot of work, but he went up too high in weight, and he was chubby at Featherweight. He got done a lot in his career.
I think Inoue is a more balanced fighter. He's better with both hands. His defense is an issue, though, and I think if he fights Fulton first, he's gonna lose. He's gonna be hit a lot, and he's fighting a big guy with a very good chin.

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AH, the old "Looking ahead to the next fight thinking I've already won the one scheduled" ploy. It's been known to backfire on fighters when they look ahead instead of concentrating on the task at hand.

I like Inoue, but that is a bad thing to get into. Never look past an opponent.
I don't think Butler is a threat to him at all. Inoue would have to not train at all to lose to him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts