Boxing Forums banner

Is Haye a top 10 ATG British heavyweight?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you believe Haye's seven fights at the weight - which have seen him capture a 'world' title that he successfully defended twice - are enough to push him into the top 10 list of the greatest British heavyweights ever?

:think

· Registered
2,648 Posts
Cooper, Bugner, Lewis, Akinwande, Hide, and Bruno all rank above him I think.

· Registered
6,403 Posts
Cooper, Bugner, Lewis, Akinwande, Hide, and Bruno all rank above him I think.
Fitzsimmons as well IMO. He battered Jeffries before being stopped, and beat Corbett which is a better win than anything Haye has achieved

· Registered
2,648 Posts
Fitzsimmons as well IMO. He battered Jeffries before being stopped, and beat Corbett which is a better win than anything Haye has achieved
:patsch Damn. How could I forget Fitzsimmons?
Haye makes the list but in all fairness it's not stacked with guys, is it?

· Registered
2,648 Posts
Haye>>Akinwande

He's probably above Hide too imo
Nah, Haye really hasn't done much at heavyweight. He has wins over an over the hill Monte Barrett, way past his prime Ruiz, Harrison, a past prime Valuev and Chisora.
Barrett was way past it, Valuev was a bit past his prime and never really that good, Ruiz's best days were long gone, Harrison is generally kind of crap, and Chisora lost to Fury and a 41 year old Vitali. Neither fights were close.

· Registered
2,959 Posts
At first my screen was only showing "is Haye a top 10 British ATG" and I thought we were going to have on our hands a really stupid thread... I felt happy when I saw the full title.

I suppose it depends on whether we are taking into account achievement or fantasy outcomes. For example, I would put Haye above Bruno based on achievment but feel that Bruno would have beaten Haye.

Lewis and Fitzsimmons are, in my opinion, the only two who would rank higher than Haye on both catagories but we're left with an interesting debate if we only take into account potential fantasy match ups...

One to think about.

· Registered
6,403 Posts
:patsch Damn. How could I forget Fitzsimmons?
Haye makes the list but in all fairness it's not stacked with guys, is it?
The talent is rather thin.

Don Cockell probably has a few better wins on his record. Plus Haye wouldn't last 9 with Rocky :yep

· Premium Member
15,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My top 10 (in no order; don't want to spoil one of my other thread ideas):

Lennox Lewis
Bob Fitzsimmons
Henry Cooper
Frank Bruno
Joe Erskine
Tommy Farr
Herbie Hide
Joe Bugner
Bruce Woodcock
Henry Akinwande

Haye is at 11-12 for me. Could easily see him in the top 10, though.

· Registered
22,444 Posts
He is borderline for me. I don't really rate him highly but Britain has never really been blessed with quality world class heavyweights through the generations. Their is the obvious guys who are above him like Fitz, Lewis, Bruno, Cooper, Erskine, Farr and then you have guys like Cockell, Hide, two Londons etc who have just as good heavy resumes as Haye.

He is close but I think he has more to do - his heavy resume is still pretty shit imo especially for a supposed former world champ

· Registered
22,444 Posts
Thing is break his oppoenents at heavy down and its not at all very impressive:

Barrett - gatekeeper heavy

Valuev - effectively beaten by shot to shit Holyfield in fight before, not even a convincing performance by Haye

Ruiz - completely shot, had lost 3 of 6 fights before and three wins against sub par competition

Harrison - dont think we need to assess his level

Wladimir - widely beat

Chisora - has never officially won a fight above domestic level, time will tell how good this win is

· Registered
2,648 Posts
Thing is break his oppoenents at heavy down and its not at all very impressive:

Barrett - gatekeeper heavy

Valuev - effectively beaten by shot to shit Holyfield in fight before, not even a convincing performance by Haye

Ruiz - completely shot, had lost 3 of 6 fights before and three wins against sub par competition

Harrison - dont think we need to assess his level

Wladimir - widely beat

Chisora - has never officially won a fight above domestic level, time will tell how good this win is
If we're going to look at the conditions of victories then Chisora really did beat Helenius but was robbed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.