Boxing Forums banner

Joe Calzaghe: "I would have beaten Andre Ward"

1K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Shane 
#1 ·
By Paul Gorst, Reporter

Last Updated: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 05:51 UK

Joe Calzaghe feels that he would have been victorious over Andre Ward had they ever fought each other.

The classy American is widely regarded as the finest super-middleweight in the world and currently holds both the WBA and Ring Magazine titles for that particular division.

However, Calzaghe, who retired from the sport unbeaten, believes that had the two fought, he would have defeated the 29-year-old.

"I would have beaten Ward," Calzaghe told Sky Sports' 'The Gloves Are Off' show.

"Like I say, people can judge styles, but I can adapt to every style and mine was harder to hit. I think Ward is good in his comfort zone, but I would have got him out of that and wouldn't have fancied it. It would have been a good fight.

"There's no ego [because I'm unbeaten], It is belief. I think it would have been a chess match."

The Welshman's last of his 46 wins was against Roy Jones Jnr in 2008.
I agree with Joe, his work rate does it for me. What you think?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
It's a shame Joe had bad hands. If they could have stayed strong then his legacy would be a lot better. He certainly had power that could take people out. I've only seen a few fights of Ward & he's a decent fighter, not exciting but skilled. The thing that annoys me is why didn't he go up to 175 to take on Dawson, that win for me is nonsense, Chad weight drained was so weak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.