Boxing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Good fight, competitive on paper, I'm going with the home fighter to get the nod though I think Parker probably gets robbed.

I won't be buying this one though, it's good but not that good imo. Also, there's a rematch clause in the contract if JJJ loses, if he loses and exercises it they'll do it again on Sky Sports Box Office. The Juggernaut is ranked no.1 in the WBO but if he loses and then wins a rematch surely he won't just go straight back to no.1, lose this and that's it for his mandatory world title shot I would have thought but the way these governing bodies make it up on the fly anything goes I guess

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
I have to go with Joyce on this one.

He has slow hands, (where his power comes from is a mystery for the ages) but very fast feet, a decent reach advantage, and excellent defense, including great lateral movement.

Parker is an inside, accumulation puncher. Even a prime Parker would probably have trouble finding Joyce, and Parker hasn't looked prime for quite a few years now.
I doubt he'll be able to get / stay inside much at all against the girlie-punching but very slick juggernaught.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Fun fight, looking forward to it. Can't see it going Parker's way but you never know, Joyce doesn't completely convince me. I'm net-Joyce but hoping it's a competitive one. Engine could decide it - not good news for Parker.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Fun fight, looking forward to it. Can't see it going Parker's way but you never know, Joyce doesn't completely convince me. I'm net-Joyce but hoping it's a competitive one. Engine could decide it - not good news for Parker.
Joyce has only fought 63 professional rounds and is so slow. Has power but virtually no snap in his punches and Parker may be able to avoid him and just accumulate the rounds.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
If Parker throws punches he should win this on points. For a lot of his fights since he moved to world level he has failed to let his hands go.

I really hope Joyce wins strong determined guy but his reflexes and speed are so slow that he makes the 45+ version of George Foreman look as fast as lightening.

Anyways I am rooting for Joyce but think Parker might win a decision.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
Both men are at their career-high weights.

Make of that what you will.

I think this will be a fairly boring fight, with Parker trying hard for a round or two, then running for the hills until the last 2 minutes of the last round, when he tries to mount a desperation swarm-attack.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I am really pleased for Joyce. A quite unassuming guy. Really humble guy. Instead of the fake keep it humble personas we have in boxing.

Hope he gets a huge money fight next he is 37 years old. Hopefully a couple of big money fights for him out there.

As for Joe Parker as he mentioned in one of his interviews recently his heart has never been in boxing. Just did to make money. Think he has made enough money to retire.

·
Registered
14,386 Posts
Sad to see Parker go out like that. He didn't come into the fight in top shape, and his trainer made excuses for him coming in at an all-time heavy weight. You have to be prepared when you are fighting the top fighters. Joyce is up there at the top rung.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
I thought Parker looked terrible, although there was definitely no quit in the guy. (And huge props for that.) I see many other boxing fans think Parker did well, even winning as much as 5 rounds. I have no idea what fight they were watching.

I did have hopes for Parker, due to Andy Lee having taken the place of that charlatan Kevin Barry. However, I did’t really see any difference in Parker's offense or defense in this fight. He was just loading up with the right hand, and eating a ton of punches. I didn't even see any of the old swarming inside game that Parker was once so good at.

I guess Lee needs a little more time to make significant changes.

As for Joyce’s supposedly amazing chin, once has to mention that Parker’s power has always been MASSIVELY overrated. He a swarming accumulation puncher.

-----------------

The most interesting thing for me in this fight, was how many times “slow hands” Joyce landed flush on Parker, without putting him down. I know Parker is tough, but I think we just saw Joyce’s power exposed. I never made sense that he could have that much pop, without any hand speed, and yet his opponents kept crumbling.

Maybe a lot of paid-off setups?
I dunno. What I DO know is that Joyce is also very easy to hit. I don’t think he’d last more than a few rounds against Wilder or Fury.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts