Boxing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Fighting the Fury loving Scum
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anthony Joshua: DAZN to broadcast two-time world heavyweight champion's fights

So AJ has sided with DAZN as I expected given EH moved all his eggs into their basket.
£100m a year apparently, which is great value for AJ but seems a big risk for DAZN, the Usyk fight will bring a lot of Eyes but if he loses (which lets face it is the more likely outcome) his value will plummet. Win and they have a reasonable shot at being the platform for AJ v Fury which will be enormous financially but that wont happen if AJ loses and I can't see most people paying up (either with subscriptions or the PPV on top) to see non-title fights with AJ against the likes of Whyte, Dubois etc. At that point he is a faded former champion who is more worth £10m/year than £100m. I suppose they hope Fury stays retired and AJ can get a shot at the Vacant WBC belt which I guess would likely be against Wilder? That might do ok for a title even if AJ would be seen as flawed at that point.

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
I think Joshua can beat Usyk in a rematch. Joshua is the naturally bigger guy and carries more pop to his punches. He just fought Usyk all wrong the first fight and tried to box with a guy who's movement and quickness made him look bad.

If Joshua uses his size and ups his work rate, I think he can easily beat Usyk.

Joshua's two losses are to guys he should have beaten and he did dominate Ruiz in the rematch, so he knows how to change his style to fit the opponent.

·
delivering the truth
1,232 Posts

So AJ has sided with DAZN as I expected given EH moved all his eggs into their basket.
£100m a year apparently, which is great value for AJ but seems a big risk for DAZN, the Usyk fight will bring a lot of Eyes but if he loses (which lets face it is the more likely outcome) his value will plummet. Win and they have a reasonable shot at being the platform for AJ v Fury which will be enormous financially but that wont happen if AJ loses and I can't see most people paying up (either with subscriptions or the PPV on top) to see non-title fights with AJ against the likes of Whyte, Dubois etc. At that point he is a faded former champion who is more worth £10m/year than £100m. I suppose they hope Fury stays retired and AJ can get a shot at the Vacant WBC belt which I guess would likely be against Wilder? That might do ok for a title even if AJ would be seen as flawed at that point.
Gotten over AJ ditching McCracken yet?

·
Registered
13,284 Posts

£100m a year apparently, which is great value for AJ but seems a big risk for DAZN, the Usyk fight will bring a lot of Eyes but if he loses (which lets face it is the more likely outcome) his value will plummet. .....

But here's the thing: If Fast Eddie is giving AJ £100m a year, then all the refs judges, and PED's testing organizations will already have been set up for AJ to win every bout, in every way possible. (Just like with the Canelo situation.)

The only danger is if the big stiff one get's KO'd, and that's not likely with Usyk. (They'll probably even stipulate softer gloves in the contract.)

Same as it ever was.

·
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But here's the thing: If Fast Eddie is giving AJ £100m a year, then all the refs judges, and PED's testing organizations will already have been set up for AJ to win every bout, in every way possible. (Just like with the Canelo situation.)

The only danger is if the big stiff one get's KO'd, and that's not likely with Usyk. (They'll probably even stipulate softer gloves in the contract.)

Same as it ever was.
If thats true, how come he didn't do it with the original Usyk fight?
Also Eddie isn't giving him £100m, DAZN is. Eddie has no control over who they sign (I'm sure he tried to use his influence but ultimately he is just a service provider for them)

·
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who would benefit from another Usyk win? Other than Usyk himself? The stakeholders in an AJ win are numerous, powerful and influential.
Seems pretty risky, I can understand a close contest falling AJ's way but if it was like the first fight then it would be obvious and just lose credibility for AJ and Matchroom. Usyk would undoubtedly appeal to all the governing bodies involved so thats alot of bribes if you need all 4 governing bodies to look the other way plus the judges and numerous others.

Also do you think that if your "prediction" happens EH is gonna manage to do the same in a Undisputed fight with Fury? Or is just getting the massive payday enough?

Seems pretty far fetched to me. I still can't see why they would have not done this in the past especially in the first Usyk fight? Surely the stakeholders who would benefit from your supposed corruption, would have ensured a points victory against Usyk or even bribed the ref not to stop the Ruiz fight so he could maybe keep his 0?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Seems pretty risky, I can understand a close contest falling AJ's way but if it was like the first fight then it would be obvious and just lose credibility for AJ and Matchroom. Usyk would undoubtedly appeal to all the governing bodies involved so thats alot of bribes if you need all 4 governing bodies to look the other way plus the judges and numerous others.

Also do you think that if your "prediction" happens EH is gonna manage to do the same in a Undisputed fight with Fury? Or is just getting the massive payday enough?

Seems pretty far fetched to me. I still can't see why they would have not done this in the past especially in the first Usyk fight? Surely the stakeholders who would benefit from your supposed corruption, would have ensured a points victory against Usyk or even bribed the ref not to stop the Ruiz fight so he could maybe keep his 0?
Did you come down in the last shower?

·
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'm surprised you have any interest in the sport if you believe it is that Corrupt, I aint saying it's whiter than white but you are basically saying that it's all a manufactured like WWE.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Well I'm surprised you have any interest in the sport if you believe it is that Corrupt, I aint saying it's whiter than white but you are basically saying that it's all a manufactured like WWE.
You know as well as we do how corrupt the sport can be.

How did Josh Taylor beat Jack Catterall?

·
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suppose I try to think of it as small pockets of corruption rather than the whole thing being systemically corrupt. If I believed that I couldn't watch at all.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts

It's a constant battle.

I find I can enjoy the purety of the competition (when a corrupt ref isn't swaying things too much) and still hate the business end of things.

Where it gets tricky is with someone like AJ, who was gifted an Olympic medal then fed a career's worth of opponents that mostly didn't even try to hit him, or like Canelo, who has clearly gotten BS decisions and was even allowed to "win" one fight via a blatant foul. Both men are very dedicated to their training, and always show up in great shape and give their all, so it's hard to actually dislike them. Yet, when they get on camera and act like they are kings of the sport, I just want a meteorite to fall out of the sky and land on top of them.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The decision to launch a PPV service crucial here I think, add to that the global presence and the fact Matchroom have a deal with DAZN and this news doesn't come as any surprise. There's no room for loyalty in sport.

·
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EH just said on a IFL interview that, Saudi's own Broadcast rights to Joshua v Usyk II and AJ's new deal doesn't include this fight. Still might land on Sky then. DAZN might have really bought s a White elephant if they have paid the reported £100m for AJ given that could well be a bunch of B list fights against other losers like Whyte and Chisora. I'm guessing they are hoping he will still bring in the casuals even if he is done at championship level.... Pretty risky on a new platform.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts