Boxing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not the best opponent we could hope for, but at least Takam is very experienced and a recognizable name for the casuals.

Big Mak, is a monster, but also quite skilled. He's one of my favorite HW "prospects" (Just behind Sanchez and Anderson.) OK, he's ranked #6 already, but with only 14 bouts.
HUGE power. Not the fastest footwork, but above-average hand speed for his size, and he throws massive combos when his opponent is hurt.
- But he’s also pretty calm and patient. Nicely varied offense, including a deadly right-uppercut.
He's also been improving his defense in the last few years. Typical Euro earmuffs style, but now with decent head movement & defensive footwork.
I find it odd that there isn't more chatter about this guy.

He should be able to take care of Takam without too much trouble, but after KO'ing Wach last time out, a showcase win here could really thrust him into the public's eye, and get him the fights he's clearly ready for. Mahk - Wilder would be insane.

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not the best performance from Makhmudov, but Takam surely did have something to do with it ! (PED's anyone? ) What a gutsy performance that was.

Hard to know what to think about Big Mak right now.
He's certainly no chicken nugget, but calling him elite would surely be a whopper.

As I said before, and I was serious: I think that he got flustered by having to fight clean. He's so used to throwing rabbit punches (Even pulling his opponent's head down first!) that he probably had to constantly tell himself not to. That slows down your thinking. But Mak has plenty of legit offensive firepower, with fast combinations, subtle feints, and a deadly uppercut. He has all the tools to still be a monster without the illegal stuff. He just need time to get used to it.

He also definitely needs to improve his defense, but I'm sure Mark Ramsey is working on this hard.

You know, this performance against the VERY tough and underrated (and several times robbed in the past) Takam may work in Big Mak's favor, and not just as an excellent wake up call: The top HW's right now may look at that fight and decide that Mak is not the threat they used to think, and so he may get some high level fights with guys that would otherwise have avoided him.

Those other guys might end up very sorry in the end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts