Boxing Forums banner

Mayweather named 'Emeritus Champion' by WBC

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Felix 
#1 ·

"The WBC has officially announced that Floyd Mayweather has been named its 'Emeritus Champion,'...This move officially vacates both the 147 and 154lb titles that Mayweather has been holding, with the caveat that if he decides to fight again he can immediately challenge for both belts...Sulaiman has not yet announced who will be fighting for Mayweather's now-vacant titles, but Amir Khan and Danny Garcia are the top two rated welterweights by the WBC, with Jermell Charlo and John Jackson the top two at junior middleweight."

- BLH

Interesting caveat. So I guess Jermell Charlo will be picking up the WBC belt at 154 and a potential rematch between Garcia and Khan deciding the WBC holder at 147.

See less See more
#7 ·
Not as if this is anything new, though, is it? They did the same for Vitali when he retired. It's all about them wanting to be able to collect those big sanctioning fees straight away should he decide to come back.
I think they did something similar with Sergio Martinez when he was out with an injury or something, but I think in both those cases they were seen more as extended breaks rather than retirements.

#10 ·
Great picture. Hope he stays retired though and we get the matches listed above for the titles. Really want Khan - Garcia II, and Charlo getting a belt will hopefully mean good matches for him in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.