Boxing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It takes courage to enter the ring at any level and I don't intend for that to be disrespected in this thread.

But we have all seen fighters who mouthed off incessantly pre-fight only to have their words blow up in their face on the night. Then there's the fighters who swaggered in their ring walk in such a manner that when they lost it seemed like karma.

We have all seen examples of these. Let's post some and discuss them.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Is it unkind to mention several of Audley's performances? The Haye fight is one which springs to mind. And I say this as a chap who quite likes Audley.
No, that was thee worst attempt at a world title in my recollection, so terrible that Sky knocked the PPV events on the head for ages afterwards, I paid for that too and was not happy, Pabon had to call time in the second and tell them to start fighting, Haye of course was defending so could be forgiven but the challenger should have had his purse withheld indefinitely so that we could get refunds out of it

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I've only seen Pacquaio vs Clottey once and it was at the time but I remember being extremely critical of the Clottey performance, might need to watch it back despite really not wanting to, as I've heard others say Clottey did OK, all I remember was 12 rounds of running but it was a long time ago now as you'll know.

I don't mind if fighters trash talk and then lose as long as they put in a good effort, so I'm thinking more along the lines of Liston taking a dive or Cintron diving out of the ring and then pretending he couldn't continue or Amir Khan pretending that Crawford fouled him so bad he couldn't go on any longer, all that nonsense is the most embarrassing imo

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
Wlad vs Povetkin was an embarrassing disaster.
Easily the all-time record for number of clinches initiated by one fighter. I forget the exact number (I counted them once) but it was something like 160.

Plus all the blatantly illegal wrestling moves and throw downs.

Plus the time late in the fight when Sasha managed to finally break free of the octopus, and Wlad was so scared that he literally turned around and ran towards the other side of the ring. (Which is grounds for immediate disqualification, had there been an honest ref in there, instead of the joke that Wlad had paid off.)

·
Registered
13,227 Posts
It would also be hard to overlook the performance of the Tuscaloosa Tornado (AKA The Slamma' from Alabama) in Fury-Wilder II.

Possibly the worst game plan in HW title fight history.

·
buff it good
5,165 Posts
Looked up the giant dong and Taishan hasn't fought since 2015. For a guy who was going to be the next big thing, a return of six mediocre wins is pretty underwhelming.

·
delivering the truth
661 Posts
Rousey was built up as being invincible and started getting ahead of herself believing her own press. She thought she was above shaking hands with Holme. Just scowled at her like a brat and minutes later Holme gave her a free lesson in humility.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts