Boxing Forums banner

Odlanier Solis now serious apparently

1K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  aliwasthegreatest 
#1 ·
Promoter Ahmet Oner says Olympic heavyweight champion Odlanier Solis (19-1, 12 KOs) is finally taking his career very seriously. The 33-year-old Cuban wants to secure a shot at the unified king of the heavyweights, Wladimir Klitschko (60-3, 51 KOs). Solis is hoping to land a shot at Klitschko in 2014. He was last seen in action in March of this year, winning a twelve round decision over previously undefeated Leif Larsen.

"Solis is already in training and weighs 250 pounds. When he started this camp, he weighed 270. In the end I think he realized that this was his last chance. When he was asked for a larger payout [against Tomasz] Adamek, Solis [was not ready and then Adamek] selected Steve Cunningham. Then [trainer] Pedro Diaz threatened him. [Diaz] said that he would leave him if Solis [refused to clean up his act]. Odlanier took this to heart and is now a changed man," Oner said.

Luke Furman covers boxing for bokser.org. - www.boxingscene.com/oner-odlanier-solis-now-taking-career-seriously--65856

Does Solis still have the talent to succeed in the pro ranks or has his career been too much of a waste so far to recover?

G
#2 · (Edited)
I wanna see Solis 230 maximum
I think it might be too late for him to get anywhere hes just a bundle of fat, to get in good shape he'd have to lose alot of it in one big go it might mess him up
The guy has skills but wont beat anyone decent in the shape hes been in

#3 ·
I call booshit. I just get the impression he is a lazy bloke, who despite his skills trains and fights....lazy. There is always talk of him losing weight but there is more to it than that. He needs the mentality to try and make inroads into the division and take the whole thing by the scruff of the neck. He's been labouring along in the background and I just don't see this changing. It's a shame really because he does have apparent skill, but he lacks some of the other attributes needed to succeed at the higher echelons in my opinion.

#11 ·
Getting down to 230 won't affect him at all, he'd be fine it's just blubber no muscle weight past about 220 I'd imagine with him

He really could be a dominant champ, he just doesn't seem to want it.

#12 ·
He looked atrociously bad against Leif Larsen, of all people, in his last fight.

#14 ·
It’s never been a secret that Solis doesn’t even like boxing: the guy has admitted as much in previous interviews so for all the talk of how good he could be if he just lost a few lbs it’s likely never gonna happen. Why would he push himself when he can just take the occasional break from easting cheeseburgers, turn up out of shape and still get a payday?

#16 ·
Unless he's planning on the burgers killing him seriously early, the money's going to run out.
:conf You'd think so but the speed at which he's been trundling along in his pro career and the fact he isn't getting in the ring more often suggests that he must be doing at least ok money wise. Fair enough he had that knee injury which kept him out for a while but since turning pro 6 years ago he's only had 20 fights (and just once a year for the last 3 of those).

Besides which how many boxers can you name that actually think about the money running out once they stop fighting and plan accordingly? For every Carl Froch there's a list of half a dozen others who end up having to mount a comeback because they piss all their cash away on all manner of stuff once they stop fighting...

#20 ·
:conf You'd think so but the speed at which he's been trundling along in his pro career and the fact he isn't getting in the ring more often suggests that he must be doing at least ok money wise. Fair enough he had that knee injury which kept him out for a while but since turning pro 6 years ago he's only had 20 fights (and just once a year for the last 3 of those).

Besides which how many boxers can you name that actually think about the money running out once they stop fighting and plan accordingly? For every Carl Froch there's a list of half a dozen others who end up having to mount a comeback because they piss all their cash away on all manner of stuff once they stop fighting...
Depressingly good points all. So we have a 45 year-old Solis mounting a comeback against a 38 year-old Fury to look forward to down the track, then.

#21 · (Edited)
You don't know how badly I wanna disagree with you, but can't. :-(

#22 ·
I think it's just a matter of how incredibly hard he worked and dedicated himself and succeeded in the amateurs. People can burn away their competitive spirit after a while. Now, this is just a job. He's got many skills, but if it's just a job, it's just a job. This guy beat some of the better heavies around now in the amateurs and had, jeez, I think it was close to 250 amateur matches, winning multiple gold medals at the world championships and Olympics. Then he comes to the land of golden Spongebob and Cheese Whiz. I can hardly blame a guy for just treating boxing like a job, after all of that. I mean, I'm neither going to judge him for it nor get excited about the idea that he might have some legitimate passion left for the sport. If he actually demonstrated it with actions and results, he's good enough that I'd be very interested, though.

#26 ·
It happens in every walk of life. He has already reached his target in life. He has escaped communist Cuba and become richer than he ever could have expected. That was him winning the world title. It doesnt matter at all that he has the potential to be fantastic or that he did xyz in the amateurs. He is coming from a place wherehis goal has been reached.

Its very hard or nigh impossible to escape that mindset once in it. Look at people like Dr Dre cant release that Detox album that people have been going on about for years because he already has all the money, women, fame that he could ever want or need whats another album going to do for him except diminish that if it fails?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.